Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age Of Fear 4: The Iron Killer

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Great news, just checked the game and the flying heroine looks good.
My only grippe with the franchise is the number of units growing and growing to match the growing opposition, it makes the fights drag a lot by mid-game, I never completed a single campaign.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey Darth, nice to see u! hope you've been well. i haven't experienced the growing units in aof3 and i'm at the end battle. Yes, the fights have gotten larger, some of them anyway, but a tough, gritty battle takes about 30 minutes or less. I personally find that acceptable and don't mind, not once have I said "this is too long" because i've been entertained the whole way. Maybe it's because the battles on Hard difficulty have been pretty challenging throughout due to the excellent AI.

Your mileage may vary of course. I hope u can give the series another shot and be more patient with it, because it opens up so beautifully as you continue playing. take care buddy, much love. <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Also, if u want smaller but deadlier fights, choose the side battles with red swords + skulls icons. These are generally small battles but feature scaled units that are strong, and can be found in Easy, Normal, Hard, etc., varieties. Much smaller than the main story and some side quest battles.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Been a while since beat Aof3 but my instinctive reaction would be to say no, I recall in Aof1+2 at least the final battle being the end of the campaign and I'd be inclined to say Aof3 follows suit.

Thanks! I'll keep exploring then. :)

A few things. Brother, what difficulty are u playing 4 on? I'm on Hard but want to try Master. I imagine u are on DeathSeeker? I want to try that eventually, too. :)

Also, I totally didn't realize Nazell can Bribe and Dominate Elementals! I gotta get cracking on some of that. Thanks for the tip! :) <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I can't edit posts, so sorry about the multiple entries, but here's my team thus far in Age Of Fear 4. We just survived
a warg ambush (!)
and are doing well. My team thus far is:

Angela (just got Hide In Shadows, hopefully can get some room to fire off that multi-attack)
Nazell (equipped with a Fire Wand for firebolt/ball)
Vasanta - Naga (that double attack and solid Att/Def)
Sir Slitherin - Sea Snake (fast and even better Def than the Naga)
Arya - Mermaid (excellent for Song Of Bravery + Greater Heal. working on getting Mind Blast for her so she can paralyze in melee (!))
Mr. Gooper - Jellyfish (excellent for paralyzing foes)
Smokey - Fire Elemental (captured him just now. Pretty great for ranged AND melee, with Fire Aura and Firebolt)
Brumg - Goblin Archer (not bad after leveling him up a bit, nice archer to start with)
Baubuos - Fungusoid (archer, not bad, either. somewhat equal with Brumg)
Slicer - Wolf (low 2/2 HP, gotta level him more before he can survive. the other wolf he came with died already :( )

and I'm thinking of adding a Dwarven Warrior merc.

So far, I'm handling battles pretty well. Had a few losses already on Hard, including a wolf which died because I got a bit sloppy at the end of a fight. It's been somewhat smooth sailing thus far, really enjoying this eclectic bunch. :)

I know it's been said already but the game is just excellent thus far. Plenty of content, so much "stuff", really, and great stuff at that. I even caught a mackerel and traded it for an antidote. :D

Oh, and one really awesome upgrade I made -
I purchased the Tavernmaster's trophy pistol for 2000 gold. It has a Fire Strike ability that has a 70% (or 80%, can't remember exactly) chance to hit. So, basically double damage for Angela's ranged attack (!!!).
:)

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Master difficulty+admitedly a fair few reloads when a map is causing me lots of grief, such as 1 level you will soon discover.
Never tried DS as the ai is already pretty good about focusing targets and chasing down wounded, don't want to see what it can do when it really gets mean.

Also minor spoiler for one of the units in your roster so you don't make the same mistake I did.
Be careful if you evolve the mermaid. Not only does she lose her healing+singing but a number of her traits change dramatically. True neutral is also mandatory before evolving as otherwise morale will be so bad this new unit has a % change of outright deserting you every time you return to the map, which could be right after you exit the troop screen if unlucky. So yeah not evolving the mermaid to keep her as a support is totally valid. Don't get me wrong though, the evolved unit is crazy good.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Master difficulty+admitedly a fair few reloads when a map is causing me lots of grief, such as 1 level you will soon discover.
Never tried DS as the ai is already pretty good about focusing targets and chasing down wounded, don't want to see what it can do when it really gets mean.

Also minor spoiler for one of the units in your roster so you don't make the same mistake I did.
Be careful if you evolve the mermaid. Not only does she lose her healing+singing but a number of her traits change dramatically. True neutral is also mandatory before evolving as otherwise morale will be so bad this new unit has a % change of outright deserting you every time you return to the map, which could be right after you exit the troop screen if unlucky. So yeah not evolving the mermaid to keep her as a support is totally valid. Don't get me wrong though, the evolved unit is crazy good.

Cheers, Brother! That is really interesting information in the spoiler. I will consider that. Hmm, makes it more interesting now! Wish there was a way we could see future classes skill lists before evolving. Let me ask Les if that's possible! :)

Master is a very nice challenge level indeed. I lost quite a few units over the course of AOF3, so it's fairly mean already. :) I will try DS when I start one of the previous entries I haven't played yet for a bigger challenge.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
WOW. I just attempted a Hard battle in AOF3, while I'm already playing on Hard. I assume these are endgame challenges, so I'm attempting them. And WOW. U do NOT want to be stuck fighting demons in the close, claustrophobic corridors of a sewer, LOL! Craziness, I tell u! I figure since it's a Hard battle, which is new in my campaign, it is essentially DeathSeeker difficulty since I'm already playing on Hard. And it DELIVERS THE GOODS.

Quick question. Is it worth throwing yourself against the brick wall of Hard battles in the endgame of AOF3? Will more quest content open up if I complete them? Or should I just basically finish the game by playing the END battle since I completed most of the quest content available already? Any ideas? No spoilers, please, thank u! <3

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
It already does give you a preview when you click evolve it's just not intuitive to tell when you will be losing abilities.

And ain't 100% for your question, been too long since I played Aof3 but I don't recall Aof3 having multiple endings, or if it does it will likely follow the trend of previous games and give you a clear decision to make rather then locking endings behind optional battles easily missed on the map screen. This might be Aof4's biggest improvement in the series actually, will have to judge how much it goes crazy with it, but having to gather multiple clues that are missable to unlock 1 of several endings (or so it claims) is nice for replayability in theory.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ah, I see. Maybe Les will change that a bit then.

I ended up finishing AOF3, at least with one of the endings. I might go back to do the 2nd choice of an ending, too, if I remembered to save after the last battle. 4 does sound pretty cool having multiple endings potentially. I didn't know that about it (I just go in blind to these things.) Cool! :)

zapotec

Liturgist
I am interested in this series but where i should start? There are 453453 version on steams.
Age of Fear: Undead king gold this seems to be the remaster of the first one
Age of Fear II: Chaos Lord Gold
Age of Fear III: The Legend
Age of Fear IV: The Iron Killer

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Start with the Undead King Gold, but it doesnt matter, really. Just pick the one with the campaign that interests you the most.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Right. It doesn't matter where u start because they backport all the new features added to the game to all the previous versions. If u wanted the latest feature set, start with 4. It features Invisibility, Traps, Crafting & a new, open story. It will be a little bit before Les backports those features to previous games so u would get access to the current latest and greatest. However, yeah, pick a campaign that sounds good to u and go for it. U can't lose, every campaign and game is great. :)

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Age of fear 1 i only played the original, so i am not aware of any changes in gold edition
Human campaign is ok, a nice introduction
Necromancer campaign is fun, undead have a cool playstyle. This campaign becomes especially fun after you reach a certain point and gain access to some of the more fun toys.
Age of fear 2 gold
Demon campaign is cool. Demons have a lot of interesting units.
Orc campaign is not as cool as demon one, but it does have it's moments. I liked the dungeon crawling sequence.
Age of fear 3
Forest people campaign is fun. Their faction feels very versatile.
Dwarf campaign is a very authentic murderhobo experience.
Age of fear 4
Just started it.
I beat the orc grave robber mission and optional warg fight mission with just my two heroes on hard(bribed two orcs in former mission and used them as a disposable meatshields in the later one) and right after visiting the cathedral i felt like an idiot. Visiting the cathedral opens up sea folk base and access to their units, no wonder those previous two missions felt a bit more hard difficulty than the hard difficulty in the third game.
For some reason the orc grave robber mission opened up again after the cathedral visit so i guess i wasn't meant to beat these two missions with just two heroes.
Aside from that everything is good so far, seafolk units are interesting.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks for sharing, Kabas ! I have only played the Forest Folk of AOF3 so far and just finished that campaign. The Forest team is versatile and very interesting indeed. I'm enjoying the Sea People of 4 now, and they offer some interesting tactical solutions as well. I'm enjoying my Jellyfish paralyzing the more difficult enemies, for example, and my Mermaid blessing us with song. Also playing on Hard, I find Hard is quite challenging in both AOF3 and now 4. Having a blast so far, glad to hear others like the series too! :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey guys! for those who didn't win the giveaway, i'm doing another! :D I have 5 more keys to give away, but in a different format this time. Details will be posted tomorrow with a youtube video explaining how I'm doing it. Nothing serious, just another fun giveaway. :) I'll post the video here tomorrow around 2 PM EST.

Shitposter
are u friends with the dev or something?

yep! We chat on Steam. If u read previous messages in this thread I mention it, somewhere. :P He's a nice guy, just one member of the team but the coder and main person making the game go, essentially.

well tell him his games are prob the best TBS out there and the writing's great and I love the guitar transcriptions
underrated games they deserve way more attention

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
well tell him his games are prob the best TBS out there and the writing's great and I love the guitar transcriptions
underrated games they deserve way more attention

I will pass on the message. :) And for the record I 100% agree with u on all points. :) Together we can spread the word of the greatness that is Age Of Fear. <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Alright peeps, so here is the video. The details on how to win are in the first minute or two of the video. Good luck to all who enter, and I'm sorry if this giveaway is kinda lame but I'm trying to do something new and don't really know how to do it? LOL. :D So bear with me, please. Hope u win! <3

Note - This video also "counts", so get to it! :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom