Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stoneshard - open world roguelike RPG - now available on Early Access

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Holy shit. Another Secrets of Grindea fan?! In this board of all places?! Dude!

Is it that surprising?
2D action games >>> 3D walking simulators.
Well, in Grindea case, they started strong but for some reason, there was not progress in the past year or two, their shitty arcade mode aside, a real shame, i gradually lost interest.

Drowed

Arcane
Holy shit. Another Secrets of Grindea fan?! In this board of all places?! Dude!

Is it that surprising?
2D action games >>> 3D walking simulators.
Well, in Grindea case, they started strong but for some reason, there was not progress in the past year or two, their shitty arcade mode aside, a real shame, i gradually lost interest.

Yeah, I don't doubt that there are several people in the Codex who know/played Grindea. I would say that I was a fan until years ago, when the project basically stopped moving forward in a relevant way. Their standard excuse is that there are only 3 people developing the game in their spare time, but there is no shortage of examples of indie groups in the same situation that have much faster development and communicated openly. So I just left the game in the back of my mind and if I ever hear that a final version has been released, I'll come back and look.

Stoneshard has not yet reached this level, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Takamori

Learned
I will probably hop on the train when the character creation is ready, paying attention closely to this project.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Very very good game. My only complaint is that there's not enough of it ATM.

In the long run (for v1.0), maybe add some depth to give purpose to grinding the dungeons/quests, like make it harder to grind reputation, unlock NPCs, or maybe special quest lines to unlock skill trees or unique equipment.

The caravan feature terrifies me, we'll see how it pans out... could be awesome if the devs make it clear that 'oh hey a fire mage would be good for this part of the adventure' or 'heavily armored footman would do well here' or somesuch. In general, players don't like switching characters, but that concept could really slow down character progression, which would be good for Stoneshard IMHO.

Harthwain

Magister
The Crime System sounds good, but I have a few questions:

1) Do you need to be spotted by someone in order to become wanted or will you gain the wanted status no matter what?

2) Will all containers in populated areas (cities, villages, etc.) be "owned" or just very specific ones?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Brynn Lore: Part II - Leaders
969f8e668326fff6d459bfb4e0ef5e0c6304935e.png

Hello everyone!

Today we’ll share some of the lore coming with the “City of Gold” update, planned for the end of this summer. This time it’s about the most influential people of Brynn, whom you will have a chance to encounter. To better understand the context, we recommend checking out the previous lore entry.

Denvar Brie, the Guildmaster

8e3f62744905028b5477c79af9b9a7c2419804d7.png

Unlike the rest of the Brynn elites, Denvar Brie is neither of noble birth nor possesses incredible riches. He was born in the family of a successful, yet common artisan, which makes the journey to his current standing even more remarkable.

Denvar has always been energetic and assertive. These qualities, in addition to his reputation as an outstanding weaponsmith, allowed him to claim the venerable title of the Grandmaster in the Blacksmith Guild, one of the most influential guilds in Brynn.

Despite his position of power, Denvar never forgot his roots. Although his lavish spending habits set him apart from simple craftsmen, he put a lot of effort into making their lot easier, something which no one in Brynn had ever done before. As a result, he gathered widespread support among common citizens.

The events of spring 427, when the freshly-formed Magistrate attempted to subjugate independent guilds by merging them into a single, easily controllable entity, only increased Denvar’s popularity, solidifying his place among the city leaders. Right now he’s the man representing the interests of every craftsman in the city, so both the local merchants and the nobility have to reckon with him.

Denvar is well-aware that he’s surrounded by enemies, and he’s also not too eager to openly confront other factions. No one knows what plans are brewing in his ambitious mind, but one thing is certain: he’s waiting for an opportune moment to strike a painful blow against his opponents, leaving them no chance to recover. For now his main weapon is a threat of mass strike, which he uses to gain further influence.

An otherwise enlightened man, Denvar has an open distaste for elves, whom he sees as the main threat to both his position and the prosperity of Brynn. Thanks to Jeon Ballar’s protection, elven goods recently took the city’s market by storm – there isn’t much that can rival their quality, and their price, while still fairly high, continues to drop with every weekly shipment of Ahjat weapons and Jibean jewelry unloaded in the Docs. If nothing changes in the next few months, many of the Guild’s craftsmen might lose their job.

Therefore, Denvar considers the House of the Azure Thread, the trade representative of the Jacinth Kingdoms in Brynn, his personal enemy. Many are afraid that if he ever becomes a ruler, he will not rest until Aldor is free from all traces of elven influence, even if it unleashes Jacinth armies upon the realm...

Jeon Ballar, the Comprador

fd3938dc4afaebc229643d76a91ef4bcce7ba786.png

Throughout his entire life, Jeon Ballard has been incredibly lucky, starting with him being born in the wealthiest family of Brynn. A silk-cushioned childhood, a carefree adolescence, rowdy university years, an easy, profitable job in the merchant League – while others fell victims to intrigues and hardships, Jeon always appeared unscathed by misfortune.

The period of political infighting and instability, which followed King Etbert’s untimely death, brought ruin to many, but Jeon only benefited from it: if anything, that’s when his swift rise to the top began.
Brynn had long been discontent with the Crown, and the King’s death gave the conspirators, Jeon being one of them, a free rein. The meticulously planned overthrow was a success: the freshly-formed Magistrate seized the power, and Jeon managed to become its leader in just a few weeks, greatly assisted by the sudden murder of the previous burgomaster, something which he vehemently denies any connection to.

Knowing nothing of the military matters, Jeon was smart enough to delegate the control over the army to experts. Unfortunately, the sudden outbreak of the Crimson Plague robbed the Magistrate of its victory, leaving Jeon surrounded by power-hungry military commanders. Still, Jeon’s remarkable ability to drop meaningful hints and make promising concessions allowed him to firmly remain in his seat.

This can’t go on indefinitely though. The truce becomes shakier with each passing day, and it won’t be easy to finish off the Council, which had enough time to recover from its defeat. Perhaps this fear of an encroaching demise was exactly what forced Jeon to seek the help of the elves, whom Aldor has an age-long grudge with. For now their support isn’t very noticeable, but Jeon has big plans - after all, establishing closer ties with elven allies is where the profit is at. This trend, however, unnerves the rest of the Magistrate – very few people are willing to share money and power with outlanders.

Jeon’s luck might soon run dry… But who knows how many more tricks this genius of intrigues and compromises still has up his sleeve?

Arno di Berro, the General

d68f1c8adb17b5def3120e2f4556d187d087d57b.png

Poet. Warrior. Strategist. Leader. Duke Arno di Berro is an embodiment of true aristocracy, making it even more remarkable that he found himself a part of the republican Magistrate.

A scion of a noble family, which fled from the Bronze Isles, Arno di Berro was born and raised in Aldor. At the same time, he still feels like an outsider, making him as demanding to himself as he is to others. Some ill-wishers claim that Duke di Berro’s main goal in life is to become a better Aldorian than actual Aldorians – although one has to admit that if that is true, he has been quite successful so far.

Until recently, very few people knew the name of di Berro: he had an excellent education in the University and participated in many of King Etbert’s wars, but otherwise he was a completely unremarkable Brynn nobleman. After the monarch’s death, he became a major player in the Magistrate – the sudden cooperation between the haughty Duke and merchants and craftsmen, whom he had previously openly despised, came as a surprise to many, even his new allies. At the same time, no one in Brynn can deny that upon taking control over one of the city’s armies, Arno proved his loyalty to the Magistrate with his actions.

Under the skillful leadership of their decisive and fearless commander, the Magistrate forces successfully captured pro-royalist Maen and, after the Council launched an attack on the Southern front, marched back to Brynn, breaking the siege. All this earned the Duke a reputation of a war hero and the savior of the Magistrate. During the truce Arno also made great strides in reforming the military: under his command a ragtag army of mercenaries and militia transformed into a powerful force, ready to follow their leader to the end of the world.

Unsurprisingly, both the League and the Guild wish to garner Arno’s favor, however he believes himself to deserve much more than that. Too prideful to compromise and share power, the Duke doesn’t want to join forces with other Magistrate leaders, counting only on himself and his soldiers. At the same time, there is an increasing number of mysterious ships being met in the Docs by the Vanguard troops under the cover of night, so perhaps the usually straightforward Duke plays his own game, just like everyone else in Brynn.

Arno continues to proclaim his unwavering support for the Magistrate, and yet, judging by the fiery speeches he gives to his soldiers, his vision for the realm is much more different than what the Guild or the League have in mind. Proud and power-hungry, the Duke wishes to unite the land under a single banner, with him leading Aldor towards great victories. And even though Arno di Berro continues calling this new order a republic, will it actually be any different from the monarchy, which so many in the Magistrate died fighting against?

Wayfinder

Ink Stains Games
Developer
The Crime System sounds good, but I have a few questions:

1) Do you need to be spotted by someone in order to become wanted or will you gain the wanted status no matter what?

2) Will all containers in populated areas (cities, villages, etc.) be "owned" or just very specific ones?
1) You need to be spotted for crimes to register, except for murders which immediately put a bounty on your head. Maybe this will be reworked later on when we come up with a solution that will be both immersive and not easily exploitable.

2) Most containers will be owned. Some stuff, e.g. the bucket near the well in Osbrook, will be considered a common property so people won't get angry if you decide to take it.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is this game one big case of git gud? Or will the difficulty be Sawyered a little in the full release? That damn prologue boss has me cursing like a sailor.

But it's a testament to how fun the game is that I keep trying :kingcomrade:

Codex Year of the Donut
played for about an hour and alt+f4'd
diablo-tier itemization is garbage, just tired of it in games anymore tbh

not bad though but I guess I'll try it again at release, just wish it didn't have shit itemization

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister

Sacibengala

Prophet
This is going to release in full in fucking 2025, I swear.
About that:

Stoneshard will leave Early Access approximately in ~2023.

The next major update (City of Gold) is the largest one yet, it also includes many new, interconnected systems, so that's why its development takes longer than usual.
The answer is from July 17.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/625960/discussions/0/4312743731804774116/
It's getting really hard to support this kind of game anymore. 3 years to release from early access? wtf.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This is a game I've been watching for a while.

So companions will be added with City of Gold? They won't assist in combat right?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This is going to release in full in fucking 2025, I swear.
About that:

Stoneshard will leave Early Access approximately in ~2023.

The next major update (City of Gold) is the largest one yet, it also includes many new, interconnected systems, so that's why its development takes longer than usual.
The answer is from July 17.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/625960/discussions/0/4312743731804774116/

Early Access was a mistake. Steam should force people to deliver within ~2 years or gtfo.

Harthwain

Magister
Pixel art takes time, I guess.
They were doing plenty of reworks in various areas too (art rework, dungeon generator rework, attributes system rework, etc.) and that's on top of how big and complex the game is intended to be. Their team has 2 narrative designers, 2 software engineers and 3 artists. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of their software engineers is the main bottleneck here, leaving 3 artists "free" to keep adding a truckload of items.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I would understand your frustration if you didn't have 1000s of unplayed games in your Steam library and actual life to live. Not to mention you all bitches will swallow Todd Howard's Elder Scrolls SHITCUM after waiting on your knees for more then 15 FUCKING YEARS for Todd to CUM*

*all the time never communicating with you about the game, leaving you guessing. You are EXACTLY the same like average girl who's turned on by bad bois, alphas and sociopaths who don't give a shit about her. Power dynamic is literally the same

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You bitches will be waiting on your knees for 15+ years for Todd Howard to cum in your filthy mouths with Elder Scrolls 6 yet cant wait a couple of years for this?

All steam babies, reddit retards and faux-hardcore gamers demand these days from devs is: easier games, full with memes and made faster. For that one more dopamine hit. Aaaaaah!! Don't you have 1000s of unplayed games in your Steam libraries? 1000s of good books, graphic novels, old movies to watch and read? Don't you have girlfriends, hobbies, families, businesses, adventures in real life? Has time stopped and all you're doing is passively waiting for Russian pixel RPG to drop update, while world around you is collapsing?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Also name me a good indie RPG in past 10 years, that you really loved, and I'll yell at you either Early Access! or Kickstarter! As flawed as they are, without them very few good indie games would ever be made

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Mindset of average woman is EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME as with average gamer. You kneel for and tolerate all the BS of badboi devs like Todd Howards, who use you and abuse you, and don't give a fuck about you, find communicating with you beneath them, and shit on indies. Fuck many indies too man, but fuck you too, for falling into mindless consumer-hedonistic trap, yet trippin to be some kind of ressistance, in gaming or outside of it

TLDR: GAMERS ARE MENTALLY WOMEN

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Devs for Stoneshard are lamenting for past few days on their Discord how they are being review bombed on Steam. 99% of negative reviews are: game too HaRd, nerrrrf or wherez update?!?!?

Gamers are children 4LIFE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom