Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
my game was glitched in gecko to where I got the regulator and couldn't get into the yellow keycard area to install it and finish the job

so I did the logical thing which was kill everyone in and past the yellow keycard room because there was no other way to advance, no one would give me a card

harold didn't mind and I saved the day after that

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Modoc has some pretty good loot, particular the Farm's quest can net you an assault rifle, and the tanner give you the best armor up to that point.
The usual, and easiest, way to harvest loots and xp is travel to Redding and join a caravan.
You have to waste time a bit until the time they arrive and start hiring.
You travel with some combatant NPC so even your low level characters can have someone to hide behind.
You can loot the corpses they killed.
If you take the VC caravan: there you go.
If you take the New Reno caravan: you can pick up a lot of things and can buy good stuffs, better than the shop in VC.
If you take the NCR caravan: you are stuck in danger zone. The only way for low level chars to get out of that is to take the brahmin drive quest to do a caravan trip back at the safe zones.
Brahmin drive is explicitly designed to do such thing: it's instantly available. There's plenty of meatshields for you to hide behind until the guards kill attackers. And it's a one time thing so you dont have to worry about the bad result of letting everyone die, unlike caravans.
fun fact I tried to join a caravan on my recent playthrough and they never showed up

Tihskael

Learned
Uj4a3SB.jpg

58139m.jpg

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
All Fallout 2 proponents fail to cite any meaningful gameplay elements that it does better than Underrail, often choosing to rely on it's status as a legendary game or more subjective things like atmosphere and writing. They played the game years if not decades ago, and it has left a burning impression. This isn't even mentioning the fact that as we get older, new experiences (especially games) become less and less enjoyable. If these people had a shred of self-awareness they would acknowledge their biases and their would be no argument, I would be able to respect their opinion. Too bad most people are incapable of such things.
I'm not going to say one is better than the other because I don't really feel like rating them that way

but underrail is pretty much exclusively a murder simulator, fallout 2 allows you to make a smooth talker, and accomplish the goal in that way, roleplaying you see, making a noncombat focused character

Jason Liang

Arcane
Underrail has poor combat. The AI is simplistic and repetitive, the enemies are gimped, and the player has an absurd number of cheesey abilities and equipment to exploit.

Worst of all, after Depot A, you get an absurd amount of free exp (on either mode) that trivializes any challenge for the rest of the game (with only a single exception).

Basically my experience of the game, which I played on DOMINATING, was that there was only one area that was fun and great, for a few hours, in the entire game. And it was only fun because it was an endgame-ish area that I stumbled into while exploring Upper Underrail, and turns out that my character was way underleveled.

Anyone who thinks Underrail has good combat has never played an rpg with actual good combat.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 1 > Fallout 2 > Fallout Tactics > Underrail > Fallout New Vegas > Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing > Fallout 3

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you think that Underrail has poor combat then you should probably stop playing RPGs for their combat, because it doesn't get much better.

mkultra

Augur
Couldn't get into either Underrail or ATOM. As for Underrail it's mostly the graphics/style i think, i need to try again and maybe i can get into it. ATOM was like a 14-16 year old had written it, it was really great apart from that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom