Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video gayme stories that don't suck pissnuts

SumDrunkGuy

We're looking at the .01% here, as almost all of them swallow rotten ball juice. I will offer up two that are not brain damaging:

SOMA

Silent Hill 2

That's it. That's all I've got. Horrible, cancerous medium that produces peados and other degenerates. You should feel awful and you WILL burn in hell for taking part in it's degeneracy.

SumDrunkGuy

Pfft, losers can't even name one. Low-t fags. I would hunt down and beat each and every one of you but you're useless, so it's not worth my time. Never summon me again, nerdling scum.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pfft, losers can't even name one. Low-t fags. I would hunt down and beat each and every one of you but you're useless, so it's not worth my time. Never summon me again, nerdling scum.
But you summoned us.

Alright, I'll give it a try, what about:

Deus Ex

Pathologic

Planescape Torment

curds

Magister
Literally racking my brains to think of something other than PST or Deus Ex. Arcanum was decent, lots of twists and expectations being turned on their head.

Plenty of games with good writing. Not to be confused with good stories which are harder to come by.

Something funny I've noticed about the mainstream gaming community is that often seem to think, story-focused game = game has good story.

Drakengard 1
Drakengard 3
NieR
Strange Journey
SMT4
Persona 2: Innocent Sin + Eternal Punishment
Persona 4
Shadow of the Comet
New Vegas
Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines
Hellnight

edit: Oh and Digital Devil Saga 1+2 = Matrix done right

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Literally racking my brains to think of something other than PST or Deus Ex. Arcanum was decent, lots of twists and expectations being turned on their head.

Plenty of games with good writing. Not to be confused with good stories which are harder to come by.

Something funny I've noticed about the mainstream gaming community is that often seem to think, story-focused game = game has good story.

SOMA and Silent Hill 2 understood how to tell a story in a shit medium. They used imagry, created lived-in spaces, had generic shit notes that actually meshed with the lived-in setting. A game needs to put extra effort into it's environment to tell an effective story. There's another one coming to me now that did this well. It had the black unimaginative scribbly aliens. Fuckin I can't think of the name. It had good environmental storytelling which is crucial to decent video game storytelling. There was trash bin monsters. Wtf was it?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Planescape Torment

Simply fisting a novel into the ass of a video gayme is not impressive. Reading belongs in books, not gaymes. Try again.
Then this might be up your alley:
2FFjY.png

SumDrunkGuy

If the best you guys got is "games that require you to read a lot" then you're proving my point. Useless medium when it comes to storytelling.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
SOMA and Silent Hill 2 understood how to tell a story in a shit medium. They used imagry, created lived-in spaces, had generic shit notes that actually meshed with the lived-in setting. A game needs to put extra effort into it's environment to tell an effective story. There's another one coming to me now that did this well. It had the black unimaginative scribbly aliens. Fuckin I can't think of the name. It had good environmental storytelling which is crucial to decent video game storytelling. There was trash bin monsters. Wtf was it?

Prey?

SumDrunkGuy

Planescape Torment

Simply fisting a novel into the ass of a video gayme is not impressive. Reading belongs in books, not gaymes. Try again.
So basically you want a good story without text, because reading is too hard?

I'm saying the medium should stick to it's strong suit. Just inserting a novel into a gayme is a cuck move. Visual storytelling works best for vidya if they want to remain pure. Some texts/audio logs are fine, but they need to be minimal and exist solely as a means to supplement the envrionmental storytelling and cutscenes or whatever. That is the correct form for this degenerate medium.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Planescape Torment

I'm saying the medium should stick to it's strong suit. Just inserting a novel into a gayme is a cuck move. Visual storytelling works best for vidya if they want to remain pure. Some texts/audio logs are fine, but they need to be minimal and exist solely as a means to supplement the envrionmental storytelling and cutscenes or whatever. That is the correct form for this degenerate medium.
So you want games to be movies? Or walking simulators ?

curds

Magister
Simply fisting a novel into the ass of a video gayme is not impressive.
You asked for good story, PST has one. Yeah, it's true that the story didn't utilize the strengths of the video game medium, but you didn't ask for that in the OP. Don't change the rules now because you don't like PST.

SumDrunkGuy

Planescape Torment

I want gaymes to stick to their strengths and realize their true potential but that will never happen. Too many pink haired pillow biters run the business now. You rpg faggots didn't help matters. Should have kept your shit on tabletops. Instead you helped ruin something that could had been glorious.

Konjad

Patron

Planescape Torment

I want gaymes to stick to their strengths and realize their true potential but that will never happen. Too many pink haired pillow biters run the business now. You rpg faggots didn't help matters. Should have kept your shit on tabletops. Instead you ruined something that could had been glorious.
And what is glorious? SOMA? You'd pick that over i.e. Gothic? :lol:

SumDrunkGuy

I do prefer movies to games. Interactive movies were an exciting prospect though. Resident Evil was a frabjous thing. You people ruined all of that. I will never forgive you.

curds

Magister
Dark Souls is prob the best example I can think of when it comes to utilizing the medium to tell the story. Aside from the opening cutscene and some incredibly sparse dialogue, almost everything you know about what's going on is learned from environmental storytelling, item descriptions and even the face selections on the character creation screen (Vinheim Sorcerer, Great Swamp Heretic, etc). The story itself is nothing too groundbreaking, but the way its presented should be up your alley. I assume you've already played it, though.

SumDrunkGuy

From Software is ahead of the curb indeed. They're a rare beast.

Konjad

Patron

Planescape Torment

What about the other games I mentioned? They have vastly less text and use the medium well enough.

SumDrunkGuy

I have no more time for questions. The man must wake up for work tomorrow at the crack of noon. Have fun bickering amongst yourselves, nerdlings.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The strength of video games is not visual storytelling. Go watch a Buster Keaton movie if you want visual storytelling. The strength of video games is interactive storytelling, so we should start with the axiom that quality video game storytelling necessarily means the player has a high degree of agency and ability to shape the outcomes. That sure as hell isn't Resident Evil 2. Sandbox games like Mount & Blade and Kenshi have better stories than RE2.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Planescape Torment is actually the best in term of story. An amnesiac guy looking for his memory, meet his old friend, making new lovers etc... Fallout new vegas return to this theme but making it less personal, more picking-side than PST. But a good telling, both games.

Comparable to it would Vampire the Masquerades Bloodlines. A newbie vampire got sucker into doing the dirty work for older sharks. Despite the simple premise, its telling are very good.

Baldur's gate 1/2 actually is not that good. Inheritor of power looking to avoid the bad part and getting the good part. Bg1 has the extra content of brothers trying to kill each other, but it get washed out somewhat. Bg2 did try to reignite it with Imoen joining the rank, but Imoen' voice actress plus her lines are not that great, too whiney. In contrast to somewhat personal tone of both these stories, Arcanum is too big, too grand that the personal get lost among the great big world.

Fallout 1/2 are both pretty good in rousing interests from audience. A guy from a closed, small, community setting out to the big wild world to find a way to rescue his homeland. Not bad~

Witcher stories also are not bad. Think of Nameless One as a hound dog this time, with a whole flat world as hunting ground instead of small Sigil. The 1st story is more like amnesia one, but the 3rd is more personal, with daughter and ex-wife get mixed in.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Games are neither movies nor books and they shouldn't try to completely replicate either one. Agency and input are what set games apart so when the game is nothing more than a playable movie there's almost no agency and it means nothing if your game has five times the words of war and peace if only 200,000 of them are actually worth reading.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would pick PST, KOTOR, and KOTOR2 because all of them have stories that tie in very well with game mechanics.

Torment: You have infinite lives.

KOTOR: Your character is totally anonymous and has no back story.

KOTOR2: Your character gains power by killing people.

Arryosha

Learned
The only video game story I remember as being good is in Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom