Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I imagine Ghostlight would definitely step up to help get those on PC. I reckon I'll throw my vote in for Oreshika as well, although I really like Linda Cube Again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I really hope Team Ladybug to have their own Sakuna moment with much bigger game with greater success. (Yeah, it would be certainly a risk for a small doujin team. So I understand if they don't want to take it.)

IceyD

Scholar
Your JRPG releases for April 2021:

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (Switch)
- SaGa Frontier Remastered
- Poison Control
- Atelier Mysterious Trilogy Deluxe Pack
- Nier Replicant Ver.1.22474487139...
- Death end re;Quest (Switch)

Last edited:

IceyD

Scholar
I look forward to the rave reviews of the Nier remaster and how these media outlets totally didn't have it at 60% back in the PS3 days.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I look forward to the rave reviews of the Nier remaster and how these media outlets totally didn't have it at 60% back in the PS3 days.
Yes, those same "journalists" are going to praise it now. When they all reviewed it poorly and called the story "below average jrgp junk" and called it a piece of shit.

Made me enjoy it even more when it came out. Usually when they say something is shit. You know it's actually good. Looking forward to the remaster(though it looks like a lot more than just a remaster).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Pirotess > Deedlit.
ZonF5f4.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do you guys remember that Okami looking mobile game that Platinum were developing for mobile phones?

It has released, but for Apple Arcade. Original publisher isn't even mentioned anymore.

Hironobu Sakaguchi also released his PS1 style JRPG Fantasian for the Apple Arcade.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fantasian looks like it's more of a puzzle game than a real RPG. You're just lining up your attacks so that it can OHKO all monsters in its path and trying to optimize the paths to get them all ASAP. That trailer was hilariously trashy as well. Poor Sakaguchi has lost his touch.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FANTASIAN being forever locked to Apple devices really saddens me.

And from reading a recent interview with Sakaguchi it seems like he really doesn't care about these details, stuff like whether a game should remain locked to a device forever or not, in fact it seems like he doesn't really care much about what his company does:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ng-so-i-made-a-game-that-returns-to-my-roots/

When Mistwalker was founded, the studio started off with a couple of Xbox 360 exclusives in Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. Xbox has been quite open about looking to acquire a Japanese studio. If Xbox was to approach you, would you be interested in entertaining an offer?

Obviously, Fantasian is a multi-part experience and the second part is still coming later this year for Apple Arcade, so we’re developing the final touches for Part 2 of Fantasian, and things are finally beginning to calm down, I would say.

To be perfectly honest with you, I haven’t given much thought to the next steps for the company or where we want to go, and I think I could use a bit of vacation time in between now and whatever it is we do next. So we’ll see what happens, it remains to be seen.

Though one thing I took away from that interview is that it seems like he prefers mobile development because he can use smaller teams and have more creative control, something that seems perfectly reasonable when you remember how cutthroat big publishing houses are and how your entire game can sometimes be at the whims and mercy of some executive.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I mean it is the same for all these old time devs, yeah, because mobile development is the way that they are used to making games (small teams, lot of creative control).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In terms of the standard USD price it's the same $60. But I see that regional prices are a bit funky this time, especially for SEA.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Japanese company regional pricing

:dead:
After Koei Tecmo, SEGA, and now Capcom this is most likely a pattern. Oh well I started buying games due to regional pricing but if publishers are eschewing it then back to the highs seas I guess

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They look better than the usual KEMCO fare, tbh. Too bad they're not translated.

There are a couple of Wizardry phone games that were lost to time, I remember seeing that at least one of them was made by the Dark Spire devs (or at least same publisher). No idea if they're good or not.

EDIT: It's called "DoCoMo Wizardry" and it was developed by Success, the devs who did The Dark Spire.

It's a bare-bones wire-frame Wizardry game where they would release a new dungeon every month for people to play on their phone, very basic and stripped down and probably not something we'd enjoy as a full game.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
G-Mode archives was also taking requests (via Twitter) on third party phone games people wanted to get one of these port things till the 26th. Was a decently sized western contingent (ontop of the expected native one) asking for the three Mega Man games (two Battle Network spinoffs that used the original combat system, and a full 3D Legends spinoff), and a smaller number of people asking for the obscure Elder Scrolls spinoffs Stormhold/Dawnstar (not sure they were ported to the particular model of phone in question, but they were put on so many different phone systems it's possible)

IceyD

Scholar
May looks like a quiet month for JRPGs outside of SMT3:Nocturne HD Remaster.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 and Final Fantasy X/X-2 are also coming to Xbox Game Pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom