Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Fishy

Savant
Yo playing mm4,does anyone here know a way to make items not breakable? It is one of the worst shit in the game. Any mods or something?

Nope, but it’s not that bad outside of the golem dungeon, and by that time you should have Lloyd’s beacon and at least two casters so you can pop back and forth to Burlock in a nonce.

And if by then you don't have a naked Barbarian capable of killing diamond golems with his fists, you're playing the game wrong.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How damn great are these games... had a gaming session that was supposed to be a couple of hours and was almost 5 hours of simply pure fun; clearing out the Temple of the Snake (gancking the hell out of that Golden Dragon to get TWO “of the Gods” pieces of sweet gear) avoid shooting the peasants, buying a boatload of Light & Dark spells and listening to perhaps the best soundtrack to an RPG ever
Of all the memories that come to fantastic life during these delightful gaming session I manage to have from time to time, I think the Might and Magic games, Ultima Underworld and Arx Fatalis are by far the most fun

DaveO

Erudite
Nothing wrong with having fun. Personally, I just recently completed a hefty chunk of Corlagon's Estate and then bailed. I must have received thousands of valuable early experience points.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I have a question regarding magic items on MM6; I read somewhere that the effects don’t stack but does that apply to all item regardless they be weapons, armor or ring?
I have a Wizard who wears a couple of mana regeneration rings and a bow that regenerates mana too, does the bow and the highest quality ring stack up or the item that has the highest value (possibly meaning better enchantment) is the only one that is applied?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
its binary, either you have it or not. Does not stack. There are other effects like that, for example swift

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm playing through MM 7 and I'm not enjoying it as much as 6. I love that it added new races and classes, but feel like it would have been better with a 5 person party so you could take one of the hybrid classes. I took the default party since I wanted to make sure I could grandmaster all the magics as well as disarm and repair item. I always get a hireling to take care of identify item.

I also don't have town portal yet so it's a pain in the ass to get around.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm playing through MM 7 and I'm not enjoying it as much as 6.

Yes, for some reason 7 doesn't give me the same enjoyment 6 and 8 do. I *think* the game world is bleaker, or something, the colours not as vibrant.

I love that it added new races and classes, but feel like it would have been better with a 5 person party so you could take one of the hybrid classes.

Get the merge mod. It allows you to play 6, 7 and 8 in any order in 8s engine, and that means a 5 person party.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nothing wrong with having fun. Personally, I just recently completed a hefty chunk of Corlagon's Estate and then bailed. I must have received thousands of valuable early experience points.
That dungeon is just so perfectly encapsulates the feeling of old school dungeons; looong winding corridors, relentless attacks by undead, hidden switches, secret pathways and a “boss fight” with just the perfect level of urgency after you have done a 2 hour dungeon trek and are just about ready to have to go to sleep and then boom you are fighting a Power Lich... who got wasted by a couple of Destroy Undead light spells bit still proved challenging and fun enough
I know there are “better” dungeons both in design and theme but to me it was just delightful and that seems to be a pretty accurate way to describe the Might and Magic series overall

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm playing through MM 7 and I'm not enjoying it as much as 6. I love that it added new races and classes, but feel like it would have been better with a 5 person party so you could take one of the hybrid classes. I took the default party since I wanted to make sure I could grandmaster all the magics as well as disarm and repair item. I always get a hireling to take care of identify item.

I also don't have town portal yet so it's a pain in the ass to get around.

The traveling spells should all belong to one lower level of mastery, most of the time, when i replay the late trilogy, i use the editor to add town portal fairly early.

The party size is also a huge decline (you had better early travel means in early M&M like mirrors), from 6+2 to 6 to 4 and 4+1, finally.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I'm playing through MM 7 and I'm not enjoying it as much as 6.

Yes, for some reason 7 doesn't give me the same enjoyment 6 and 8 do. I *think* the game world is bleaker, or something, the colours not as vibrant.

landscapes are empty when compared to mm6. They created flat surfaces to represent grass, placed some monsters and then run out of money to place objects or review their work

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The whole art style of MM7 was utter garbage. Definitely the lowest point of the series, excluding 1 and 2.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
That dungeon is just so perfectly encapsulates the feeling of old school dungeons; looong winding corridors, relentless attacks by undead, hidden switches, secret pathways and a “boss fight” with just the perfect level of urgency after you have done a 2 hour dungeon trek and are just about ready to have to go to sleep and then boom you are fighting a Power Lich...

Gets even better if you try to beeline for the chest with the crystal and then run away. You get teleported back.

DaveO

Erudite
I disagree. MM9 is by far the worst art style. But when you only have six months with a new engine...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What I don't get is why they didn't use old assets instead of making new
rating_prosper.png

DaveO

Erudite
Yeah, it's a toss up on which one disappoints more, MM9 or MMX. I can't say MM9 since there was basically no time to do a proper release. MMX could have been a lot better obviously.

McPlusle

Savant
Are the console versions of I & II as well-liked as the console versions of the Wizardry games tend to be?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Had a “test” gaming session with the World of Enroth mod (just to verify that everything was in working order) and boom all the afternoon went by
So some observations
1) the higher res monsters and some of the environments look nice especially con close ups of the monsters and overall it looks a bit cleaner
2) the spellbooks use the M&M7 look so they are a bit more intuitive to navigate especially the menus
3) the spell effect also look better and more like actual 3D effects rather than animated pixels and even then lightup effect as they are cast even on the earlier M&M6
4) the item lists seem to be a bit mixed from different games so you get some highly random loot in the beginning like a +12 2 handed axe and a +26 elven chainmail... kind of game breaking to start but a welcome change
5) some of the spells like Light last very little time and have to be cast constantly
6) the “memberships” for the guilds are automatically given when entering the house of a trainer
Speaking of training
7) It uses the M&M7 system so not all characters can learn the same skills and some might be a bit weird to get like alchemy for M&M6 where alchemy wasn’t even a skill before
8) feels a bit unbalanced overall with the usual exploits of the Fly scroll

Overall it was a bit hard to put down once the “testing” had started :D will leave it be until I finish my older M&M6 installation but will definitely try my first ever play through of M&M7 with the World of Enroth mod

DaveO

Erudite
The console versions are pretty good from what I've heard. Even the Apple versions are good and may be a bit better than the actual PC release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom