Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Antiquity: The Shattered Crown - Ultima-like retro RPG

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
I definitely took the "Explore and find out" mantra seriously in my design. I didn't leave the player completely unable to determine mechanics, though.

There are spells and items that will give you the monster statistics. Items can be examined for their properties as well. I tried to avoid the "copper sword" to "super mega heroic sword of awesomeness" scaling that a lot of CRPG's employed, instead using properties like a flaming sword doing fire damage in addition to piercing and slashing.

Sure, I could have thrown all this out in a manual. But where's the fun in that? Heck, then someone who wants to write up a guide or charts can do so and post them online. There's already some stuff up at GameFAQ's, and I'm incredibly happy I wasn't the one who had to put it up!

It's making me wonder if I should put out a hint guide or not, in fact. And what form it should take, a strong narrative style like the Ultima ones, or a practical no-nonsense one like Avernum?

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
With all your monster spreadsheets and weapon and armor charts, damn yes you should put out a hint guide!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's making me wonder if I should put out a hint guide or not, in fact. And what form it should take, a strong narrative style like the Ultima ones, or a practical no-nonsense one like Avernum?

Yes, a thousand times YES!! I absolutely love the old Ultima clue books and have every one of them except Secrets of Sossaria (expensive!). Make a print run as well or at least make it so I could get a nice spiral bound one made myself. I prefer the spiral spines like the excellent Balder's gate ones but any "official" clue/hint book would be awesome to have next to my boxed copy!!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So reading the thread this game seems to have party creation, cool dungeon mechanics and turn-based combat with action points, since these are basically my three highest criteria (in this order) I'll have to play it rather sooner than later.

Sacibengala

Prophet
So reading the thread this game seems to have party creation, cool dungeon mechanics and turn-based combat with action points, since these are basically my three highest criteria (in this order) I'll have to play it rather sooner than later.
For me the best part is the quest design focused on exploration. I'm really liking it because of that. But yeas, the combat is really good, much better than I'd expect in a game like this.

I agree with Sacibengala. Combat works fine and is great fun, but the greatest part is the exploration for me too. There is just such an abundance of things to discover in this game. And every dungeon feels like a unique experience, nay: like a piece of art. There are just so many interesting ideas and details.

Ladonna

Arcane
Decisions, decisions.

I started off as a hero, and have found two joinable characters but haven't asked either of them in yet, because the game states that once someone joins the party, that's it, they are with you for the rest of the game. One is a bard, and the other is a rogue. I am leaning toward the rogue, because they automatically check for traps and secrets, along with a better critical modifier, it doesn't say what ranged weapons they are able to use though. The bard seems to be a weak fighter/magic user that is a jack of all trades, unless there is a musical ability that isn't stated anywhere.

Anyway, the game is pretty well made. The exploration is a big plus, and it has been heaps of fun working out how to get where. Sometimes the random spawns have almost gotten annoying, but they haven't reached the cutoff point, so hopefully it will stay this way.

The interface is nice and easy for an 8 bit game, and everything pretty much works as expected, without convoluted bullshit. Whether it be casting spells, attacking or interacting with the world, nothing requires copious amounts of keys to press or illogical ways to get things done.

I understand that you get a skill point at each level up to use at trainers. I am wondering though if skills go up through use? I could have sworn my numbers for melee, ranged etc have gone up without spending points on them, or am I dreaming here?

Anyway, great so far.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Glad you are enjoying it so far!

Rogues can use slings, bows, and crossbows. The only ranged weapons they can't use are firearms and wands. The bard CAN use wands, which offers him a small advantage. The bard also has a higher bonus gambling skill at the start of the game.

Skills don't go up through use, but if you raise an attribute they can potentially shift skills up as well. The items that do this are fairly late in game though.

Your comment on random spawns is interesting to me... I've heard others remark how weird it is that enemies respawn... did I miss something and CRPG's stopped having random respawn?

Sacibengala

Prophet

Rogues can use slings, bows, and crossbows. The only ranged weapons they can't use are firearms and wands. The bard CAN use wands, which offers him a small advantage. The bard also has a higher bonus gambling skill at the start of the game.

Skills don't go up through use, but if you raise an attribute they can potentially shift skills up as well. The items that do this are fairly late in game though.

Your comment on random spawns is interesting to me... I've heard others remark how weird it is that enemies respawn... did I miss something and CRPG's stopped having random respawn?
Maybe they are comparing the game with the new ones, like Pillars of Eternity and others, they don't have respawns.

Ladonna

Arcane

Thanks for that. I haven't seen a wand in play yet, so I have no idea how useful they are, or what they do. Are they another ranged weapon? Do they have charges? Or infinite?

From the looks of things, characters don't really get many skill increases then? 16 levels, at 1 skill point per level. My hero character only has 1 point in one of the magic schools from the start, but this doesn't stop him from casting spells from other "schools". Meanwhile, I have 10 each in melee and ranged combat. I guess there is a method to how this works, I will just have to get my head around it with further play.

As for random encounters, I have been scarred by playing old games where each step or two spawns a new encounter, so I am weary of excessive random encounters. Not sure where those other players are coming from though. There haven't been many CRPG's where there are no random encounters. I suppose most of the new games don't have them while traveling around area maps, only on travel maps and camping.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Thanks for that. I haven't seen a wand in play yet, so I have no idea how useful they are, or what they do. Are they another ranged weapon? Do they have charges? Or infinite?

Ranged weapon with infinite charges.

As for random encounters, I have been scarred by playing old games where each step or two spawns a new encounter, so I am weary of excessive random encounters. Not sure where those other players are coming from though. There haven't been many CRPG's where there are no random encounters. I suppose most of the new games don't have them while traveling around area maps, only on travel maps and camping.

Yeah, every step or two is excessive. There's only a handful of maps in game where the spawn rate is extremely high, and it's where you would expect it to be, like the bottom-most dungeon level. They also can't spawn indefinitely'; each map has a limited number of mobs it can support, and spawns can only occupy empty slots. The game does have a couple empties for every map with spawn, but that means once you hit a certain number, you won't see any more spawn until they're eliminated.

Yeah, I fondly remember one very particular "bottom-most dungeon level" of a certain pit... I was stupid enough to march in despite the warning sign told me not to. That dungeon with its massive respawn rate of the most vicious enemies almost gave me brain damage. But in the end it was worth it. As always and everywhere in this game there is great reward for great hassle. :)

By the way: I never even bothered to use many of my skill points, I never found it particularly important to learn stuff as my Hero and his party (Bard, Warrior, Warlockess) were perfectly capable to take on every enemy (with a lot of dying though). Even though my magic affinity level is 0 in most categories I can deal enough damage to burn, zap and freeze the hell out of my enemies.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
adamantyr

My party hit level 3 and now it says the experience to next level is 0. Is that a bug?

The Ranger description during party creation reads:

Wilderness warrior, a monster of the bow. Can wear up to hide armor and use shields or foci. Favors green sorcery. th

Last edited:

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
adamantyr

My party hit level 3 and now it says the experience to next level is 0. Is that a bug?

The Ranger description during party creation reads:

Yeah, that's a bug. I just fixed it an hour ago and deployed the new version to Steam.

Ah thanks! Fixing that "th" in the next release.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I restarted with a Hero and I've discovered a ton of new things that I'd missed, including the town of Weymoor. I'm also way wealthier than I was with my first party who were barely able to feed themselves. This game has some really fun exploration.

Ladonna

Arcane
So I am lost in some labyrinth below the Priory, just beat up a minotaur and his animated armour and sword buddies, and am all out of stamina potions, and have been spamming pass to regenerate enough to cast spells. Still haven't found that freaking Cornet! Getting ready to pull a switch to open a portcullis into another area full of Headless.

10/10 would get lost again.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
So I am lost in some labyrinth below the Priory, just beat up a minotaur and his animated armour and sword buddies, and am all out of stamina potions, and have been spamming pass to regenerate enough to cast spells. Still haven't found that freaking Cornet! Getting ready to pull a switch to open a portcullis into another area full of Headless.

You're no longer in the catacombs. I'm updating some of Doran's dialogue to try and give a stronger hint of what to look for in the next patch.

Ladonna

Arcane
You're no longer in the catacombs. I'm updating some of Doran's dialogue to try and give a stronger hint of what to look for in the next patch

All good. I got past your cunning trap room, found nobody at home so just raided his treasures, and managed to find the cornet by accident when I ducked back in to the priory. I thought having a rogue in the party detected traps and secrets?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
All good. I got past your cunning trap room, found nobody at home so just raided his treasures, and managed to find the cornet by accident when I ducked back in to the priory. I thought having a rogue in the party detected traps and secrets?

They do indeed, if they are the active player. :)

Ladonna

Arcane

They do indeed, if they are the active player. :)

lol ok, cool. I will remember that one. ;)

Ladonna

Arcane
Ok, a couple of strange things that perhaps you can shed some light on adamantyr

While exploring the graveyard north of Boniface, I noticed that the Librum Piehl that Doran is using suddenly doesn't have a Mindguard spell anymore. He was casting them fine from this book only moments before. I guess this is a bug?

And I noticed that the Rogue and the Bard are getting up to no good at the Inns we are staying at. You will have a mass of upset gamers knocking on your door, demanding to know why the main character isn't the centre of attention.

Edit: I just tried giving the Librum Piehl to my main character, who is much more proficient in sorcery, and Mindguard is still missing. This continues when moving to different areas and towns.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom