Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic As someone who loved playing Gothic 1 and Gothic 2, will I be able to enjoy Gothic 3?

Phos

I never bothered playing Gothic 3, because of its bad reputation, however I keep reading that with all the community patches, mods and whatnot, it actually becomes a somewhat decent game. So, what do my fellow Codexians think? Is it worth playing at least once?

Terenty

Liturgist
Play it, its a good game with great atmosphere. When i think Gothic it's Gothic 3 music and green pastures that pop into my head mostly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's ok. I played it over a decade ago, it already had a decent fan patch, and it was a solid open world RPG with some flaws but still better than a lot of stuff in the genre.

Risen 1 and ELEX are better, but Gothic 3 isn't terrible.
It's definitely better than Risen 2 and 3.

However, do not under any circumstances play Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods. Just don't.

SoupNazi

Closest thing to Gothic 1 is Risen 1. It is also good until the very last chapter, which becomes a charade of everything that made the game good.

Elex is good, but in my opinion too big for its own good. I got tired of the walking simulator parts and abandoned it midway. Unlike G1/2, where it's not walking but exploring, Elex has you span kilometers of empty, boring lands with nothing but a trashmob here and there, and Ubisoft-style sidequests occasionally. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's just a very bad world. Even the hubs, when you compare them to Old Camp, New Camp or the Swamp, Khorinis or the Bandit camp, or the Pirates cove in NotR, are empty, band, boring and uninteresting. If they are interesting, it's mostly in shock value, and then you run around it and it has very little of interest.

The world just looks like it was made for an MMORPG. Like they tried to pitch a SWTOR-like with a great "singleplayer" story and then either it wasn't accepted or they realized they can't make a game of that scale. The difference is, SWTOR kept me going thanks to the fact that I could play it with my friends, see the different c&c back-to-back, and experience it together. In Elex, I just ended up getting bored of it. To explain; the traveling was so boring I wanted to have a TV show playing on the second screen and even then it was practically unbearable boredom. But the actual storyparts wanted me to pause the show and really pay attention. So if you can stomach the bad parts, I'm sure you'll have fun with it - there's a good game hiding behind about 60 percent of useless faux-content.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Worth a try at least. If you grew to care about your bros in G1 & 2 then this will at least give everyone's stories a conclusion. As far as open world design goes I'd say it's on the better end of the spectrum. It's not that difficult to wander around and find a powerful artifact or item needed for some quest, but it does help make exploration feel a bit more rewarding, impactful and fun. The combat is pretty bad, even with the community patches. You can make it tolerable depending on what kind of character build you make, but it'll never be great like G1, 2 or Risen combat is. The game retcons and changes a some of the canon established in G1&2 (orcs being the biggest change) which is incredibly weird and jarring. The soundtrack is a masterpiece and the game might be worth playing just for that alone; sure you can listen to it online, but it won't have the same impact as hearing it in-game as the music is tailored to the areas you are currently wandering around and are very fitting.

Wunderbar

Arcane
However, do not under any circumstances play Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods. Just don't.
was it really that bad? I remember it was even more buggy than the base game, but I also heard it had better quest design, and a world where you don't just "clear" cities and move on.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's different but you will enjoy it. Most people here had a very bad experience with it because they played it on release. Now with the patches and community patch its actually playable. There are good mods as well. Anyway, some thing can never be fixed and are inherently broken. First and most glaring example: melee combat, don't do a melee character. As far as I know every mob still stunlocks and you do the same, so there is only melee cheese or dying to every rat that gets the jump on you. Archer and mage builds are enjoyable though. There are other things like the Northern part of the map being mostly unfinished and empty and so on... If you go into it expecting something on par with 1 or 2 you will be severely disappointed, take it for what it is and you'll see that it's a good game that is severely flawed in some aspects, but still enjoyable. I think PB were forced to release it early and that's why it's forever broken. Also, don't play Forsaken Gods or whatever the expansion is... it's just some cheap cashgrab made by Pajeets that has nothing to do with PB.

MrMarbles

Cipher
It's ok. I played it over a decade ago, it already had a decent fan patch, and it was a solid open world RPG with some flaws but still better than a lot of stuff in the genre.

Risen 1 and ELEX are better, but Gothic 3 isn't terrible.
It's definitely better than Risen 2 and 3.

+1, played it 5 years ago with community patch and balance fixes and enjoyed it. Be aware that the start is rough, enough for me to drop my first playthrough. I'm glad I tried again and kept at it though, as some of the best content comes 40-50 hours into the game.

DaveO

Erudite
If I'm not mistaken, the Community Patch addresses game engine stuttering among other things. In my opinion, go ahead and finish the journey with Gothic 3. You've gone this far with 1 and 2.

It's definitely worth a play through, it's just not up there with Gothic 2 in terms of quality. The general atmosphere and the OST are absolutely 10/10 though, it's still a highly immersive experience.

lametta

Educated
The combat is broken especially if you play as mage. You run out of mana quick and either have to use xpensive potions or rest. melee combat is a mess. After you get mana regen at some far point in the game you are a walking death sentence. I was clearing out whole towns just for fun.

I enjoyed every gothic, risen games and elex as well but I dislike G3. It's plain bad and unfinished. It has bugs as well even after communuty patches.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You run out of mana quick and

Nope. On G3, you can use a lot of mushrooms and other stuff to save mana potions and can get a lot of mana and mana regen before mid game. Not mentioning spells like fire rain which was end game on previous gothic games that can be obtained pretty early on...

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I played both Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 a handful of years ago, for the first time, much after their original release. I also played Gothic 3 a couple years after that, and it is a very, very good RPG. I used the patches necessary and didn't experience many bugs at all. One thing about it, you've never played an open-world RPG with that type of ruleset and feature set, that's for sure! Completely unique. :) Hope u enjoy, friend! <3

lametta

Educated
You run out of mana quick and

Nope. On G3, you can use a lot of mushrooms and other stuff to save mana potions and can get a lot of mana and mana regen before mid game. Not mentioning spells like fire rain which was end game on previous gothic games that can be obtained pretty early on...
you run oom pretty quick with just a couple casts and for someone who plays the game blind getting mana regen early is out of the question.
Anyhow let's just agree to disagree then.
Imo combat was the worst of all gothic, risen and elex titles.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Gothic 3 is pretty good,people that shit on it haven't even played it. I has the one of the best worlds in gameing for sure. With the fan patch,it is pretty good. Tho i don't know if you will like it if you have liked the first two games,it is good for different reasons. It has amazing exploration and a lot of places to go around. It offers total freedom :).

Elex and risen 1 are closer to gothic 1&2 tho .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom