Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The mosaic along the edge of the map is a neat touch.

Can we reform maniple units into marian ones?

The original game had them. Assuming they trigger on the same conditions as before: 'The Marian Reforms are a hard coded event in Rome: Total War, they occur when a city with the italy hidden resource (the region "Latium" excluded) becomes a huge city while it is occupied by a roman cultured faction. Note that although rebels are technically a roman culture faction, rebels cannot trigger the reforms.'

Subreddit is claiming that Feral has heard the complaints and will "fix" the issues, I wish they'd just give us a classic UI toggle. I never had any issues with the old UI.

The classic UI was never an option given the aspect ratio changes. It was designed for 4:3, and the new one was designed with the requirement that it support up to 32:9.

It's clearly a mobile UI.
It is and it isn't. The remaster was built on the mobile port, which is why it shares elements from that, but it wouldn't suit any actual mobile/touch interface very well.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tried the game and while i don't really like the UI changes its not a deal breaker for me. The better performance of the game is huge but i seem to have some other graphical issues with everythings being a blurry mess and textures bleeding into each other, so i refunded the game. Too bad, kind of wanted to play a couple of campaigns but this level of quality reduction is unacceptable to me.

Probably early driver issues that will hopefully be fixed, but honestly my only interest in this is the modding potential. Might as well wait a few months to see what develops.

Yeah the vanilla Rome campaign isn't really that interesting to me outside of nostalgia. Much like vanilla Medieval 2, the balancing just isn't that interesting.

I've always found it hard to use vanilla CA balancing after playing mods. They always give units far too much attack and too little morale, the result is lightning battles that are always over too quick.

Seems like the first thing most modders do with TW games is raise unit morale and then either lower attack or raise defence across the board so units don't immediately break after 5 seconds of melee.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

The original game had them. Assuming they trigger on the same conditions as before: 'The Marian Reforms are a hard coded event in Rome: Total War, they occur when a city with the italy hidden resource (the region "Latium" excluded) becomes a huge city while it is occupied by a roman cultured faction. Note that although rebels are technically a roman culture faction, rebels cannot trigger the reforms.'

It does indeed have the same conditions, I just had the Marian reforms happen in 239BC, about 122 years before it should actually happen.
Is there a way to disable that? I think it happens much too early, especially when the AI can trigger it with their difficulty bonuses.
You only really get to play with the maniple for about 50 turns, I didn't even get a chance to use triarii because I focused on my economy rather than military (as one should, really).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

It does indeed have the same conditions, I just had the Marian reforms happen in 239BC, about 122 years before it should actually happen.
Is there a way to disable that? I think it happens much too early, especially when the AI can trigger it with their difficulty bonuses.
You only really get to play with the maniple for about 50 turns, I didn't even get a chance to use triarii because I focused on my economy rather than military (as one should, really).

Can't imagine why anyone would play this vanilla. This base game is basically a foundation for modding.

Shrimp

Arbiter

Can't imagine why anyone would play this vanilla. This base game is basically a foundation for modding.
Personally I am currently playing through the vanilla campaign since there aren't any major overhaul mods out yet. To some degree it's just for the sake of nostalgia, but also to re-familiarise myself with the new interface, Rome 1's gameplay etc. Once I'm done I'll go back to playing Medieval 2 mods until someone has made something for Rome Remastered.

With that being said I think you'd be surprised by how many people that stick to only playing the vanilla versions of otherwise very moddable games.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
With that being said I think you'd be surprised by how many people that stick to only playing the vanilla versions of otherwise very moddable games.

Oh I know I just don't understand why.

Anyway hopefully in 6 months something will be out and playable.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Is it me or are legionaries useless on Hard difficulty? They lost against pretty much anything they face.
Against light cav? Lose and break.
Against chosen swordsmen? Lose and break.
Against chosen archers? Lose and break.
2v1 against Bronze shields, with one on the rear because that's how you deal with phalanxes? You guessed it, lose and break.

Its pretty bullshit. I'm used to playing on hard in shogun 2 and Warhammer because the bonus the AI receives isn't too bad, but here it's obscene.
Town Watch are completely worthless because they just break instantly. You'd think the Remaster would balance the units so they aren't crap.

razvedchiki

Erudite
if it uses the same difficulty settings from original rome its normal because on hard/very hard the ai gets bonuses on attack/def/morale which means peasants will slaughter your elite troops.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it me or are legionaries useless on Hard difficulty? They lost against pretty much anything they face.
Against light cav? Lose and break.
Against chosen swordsmen? Lose and break.
Against chosen archers? Lose and break.
2v1 against Bronze shields, with one on the rear because that's how you deal with phalanxes? You guessed it, lose and break.

Its pretty bullshit. I'm used to playing on hard in shogun 2 and Warhammer because the bonus the AI receives isn't too bad, but here it's obscene.
Town Watch are completely worthless because they just break instantly. You'd think the Remaster would balance the units so they aren't crap.

I've always done very hard for campaign difficulty and normal for battle difficulty. AFAIK, the only thing battle difficulty affects is bonuses the AI gets to troop stats (normal is 1:1), it doesn't change their strategies or anything.

I prefer the AI to get an economic advantage on the campaign map so they raise larger armies, rather than just giving them god peasants and militias.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
if it uses the same difficulty settings from original rome its normal because on hard/very hard the ai gets bonuses on attack/def/morale which means peasants will slaughter your elite troops.

Oh wow I did not know they screwed the difficulty level up that bad. I guess I'll knock it down to Normal battle, because that is absurd.

Definitely bump the campaign difficulty up though, the AI really needs the economy cheats to stand a chance. On normal they almost always bankrupt themselves.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Oh wow I did not know they screwed the difficulty level up that bad. I guess I'll knock it down to Normal battle, because that is absurd.

Definitely bump the campaign difficulty up though, the AI really needs the economy cheats to stand a chance. On normal they almost always bankrupt themselves.

I have it on hard right now. I noticed that the AI a lot more aggressive in this game than in Warhammer.
Even on Very Hard the Warhammer AI just won't attack your settlements if they have walls. Public Order is a bigger concern than the AI.
Not that I'm complaining, I like that the AI is a threat this time.

A horse of course

I have it on hard right now. I noticed that the AI a lot more aggressive in this game than in Warhammer.
Even on Very Hard the Warhammer AI just won't attack your settlements if they have walls. Public Order is a bigger concern than the AI.

Warhammer AI is just "smarter" in the sense it has traditionally played extremely conservatively, calculating strength values etc. and trying to avoid fights in which it doesn't have a significant advantage. How does it know it has a significant advantage or not? It cheats, automatically comparing autoresolve stats, distance values in various hypotheticals (if it won, it it retreated etc.). This was nightmarish in certain versions of Warhammer 1, as it was possible to play through entire campaigns without fighting a single equally-matched battle - only ones where the odds were massively skewed in the AI's favour (battles they picked) or in your favour (ambushes, or most commonly settlements with no defences except the garrison because the AI decided they didn't have 4-to-1 odds in their favour and just moved all their armies out of the city). The AI plays a little more riskily in Warhammer 2, though again this varies from patch to patch.

In older games the AI was a lot more willing to throw stacks into battles where they had to fight against the odds.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Warhammer AI is just "smarter" in the sense it has traditionally played extremely conservatively, calculating strength values etc. and trying to avoid fights in which it doesn't have a significant advantage. How does it know it has a significant advantage or not? It cheats, automatically comparing autoresolve stats, distance values in various hypotheticals (if it won, it it retreated etc.). This was nightmarish in certain versions of Warhammer 1, as it was possible to play through entire campaigns without fighting a single equally-matched battle - only ones where the odds were massively skewed in the AI's favour (battles they picked) or in your favour (ambushes, or most commonly settlements with no defences except the garrison because the AI decided they didn't have 4-to-1 odds in their favour and just moved all their armies out of the city). The AI plays a little more riskily in Warhammer 2, though again this varies from patch to patch.

In older games the AI was a lot more willing to throw stacks into battles where they had to fight against the odds.

The AI is downright psychotic at times in Rome and Medieval 2, the funniest is when they siege one of your cities with a vastly superior garrison that isn't even in auto resolve range.

Even funnier is that sometimes they have an army nearby that they could have been used for reinforcement, but for some reason decided not to use.

Shrimp

Arbiter
From what I seem to remember the biggest difference between Hard and Very Hard campaign difficulty in Rome/Medieval 2 is that on Very Hard the campaign AI will go out of its way to attack you or otherwise cause you harm or frustration. Stuff like Portugal/Spain sailing past France to attack you if you're playing as England/Scotland and so on.
It's not that big of a deal but some times it does feel pretty nonsensical for it to behave that way.

A horse of course

From what I seem to remember the biggest difference between Hard and Very Hard campaign difficulty in Rome/Medieval 2 is that on Very Hard the campaign AI will go out of its way to attack you or otherwise cause you harm or frustration. Stuff like Portugal/Spain sailing past France to attack you if you're playing as England/Scotland and so on.
It's not that big of a deal but some times it does feel pretty nonsensical for it to behave that way.

They do that (the sea attacks) even on Easy - Med 2 used to have a problem with naval invasions, so they tweaked countries like Norway and Spain to constantly invade Bongistan.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Oh I know I just don't understand why.

Anyway hopefully in 6 months something will be out and playable.
Why would someone play modded stuff? Normal game is art made by developers. Changed stuff is different artistic vision.

Shrimp

Arbiter

They do that (the sea attacks) even on Easy - Med 2 used to have a problem with naval invasions, so they tweaked countries like Norway and Spain to constantly invade Bongistan.
Huh, that's interesting. It's been a while since I played the old games on easy/normal so I thought it was exclusive to the higher difficulty modes.

Shrimp

Arbiter
While I'm on the topic of naval invasions, what have your experiences with the remaster been so far?
In the original Rome 1 the AI never sailed from Greece to Asia Minor even though the two regions are next to each other. In fact now that I think about it I'm not even sure if I've ever seen the (original) Rome 1 AI sail anywhere outside of certain factions like Britannia/Carthage/Scipii ferrying reinforcements from one region to another. The AI in the remaster should supposedly be able to perform naval invasions now, but in my campaign I didn't quite see the level of invasions I had expected although I might unintentionally have affected this by playing a faction that's already active in that area. The Greek Cities and Pontus were fighting over the isle of Rhodes and I saw the Brutii send one army past Greece, but they never did anything with it since they weren't at war with Pontus. Outside of those two instances I don't think I saw the AI try to do any sort of naval invasions which I think is a bit disappointing.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Naval battles are still annoying. The autoresolve hates the player and if you win the ship fucks off half-way across the world and you have to chase the damned thing down.
I have seen the AI use naval transports, but I never let them land.

A horse of course

/ourblacklistvictim/ is reporting that RTWR has TANKED and CA will never make another game for historychads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom