Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, I can't run the game with my toaster even though the combat demo worked just fine (AMD E1 2500 + integrated Radeon HD, probably 8200 or something)

It's asking me to update the graphic card drivers but they're up to date and the asked version is for either win 10 or 7 (and my OS is 8).
Did it anyway and surprise, it didn't work either.

Well, it's not like i really wanted to play the EA, i'll just wait for the usual final release +X updates.

Pladio

Educated
So, third time's the charm.

Seems like it does make a difference but only up to 2 levels currently - which is very impactful.
I still think feats are more impressive as they do 2 levels of skills+ something else usually -> 10 evasion + 10 evasion if below x HP.

But, certainly tagging is impactful.

https://gofile.io/d/auvAqk

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
can you do same with mastermind factored in? Adding 2 lines for mastermind without tag, mastermind with tag

Pladio

Educated
Yes, I did a quick test and it seems it's an additive 50% bonus -> 100 XP = 150 Mastermind XP = 200 Tagged XP = 250 Tagged Mastermind XP
Let me know if that's wrong.

It looks a bit harder to see with all three, so I've made two graphs
1. Which is what you mentioned - just level by XP gain.
2. Difference in level.

For both, you need to take anything past level 9 with a grain of salt as I guesses the number. But you actually see 2/3 level difference as a Mastermind Tagged. That becomes pretty substantial.
I know that ITS are changing the levels required for each of the levels in the next patch so will have to redo though.

https://gofile.io/d/MBeiP8

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I take it that there will be 20 levels not 10.
As far as I know lvl 10 is meant to be the highest. They're changing the learning curve soon.
:hmmm:

Are you for real? In the demo you get up to 5-6 level without problem,but you play like a fifth of the game. If they mess with the xp and levelling they will really fuck up the pacing and the enjoyment of the game. The more i read the more i think that the demo will be a lot better game than the full release lol.

Parabalus

Arcane
Both should ideally be uncapped, otherwise INT heavy builds will fall off a cliff after they hit the caps.

Pladio

Educated
As far as I know lvl 10 is meant to be the highest. They're changing the learning curve soon.

Are you for real? In the demo you get up to 5-6 level without problem,but you play like a fifth of the game. If they mess with the xp and levelling they will really fuck up the pacing and the enjoyment of the game. The more i read the more i think that the demo will be a lot better game than the full release lol.

I am not certain about the cap, but they have said that it's meant to be something like this
Lvl 2-4 easy for anyone to get to
5-6 Possible for anyone
7-9 should not be available for untagged skills except if heavily focused on or with mastermind.

But I don't remember them saying anything about lvl 10 onwards. Maybe Vince will see these posts and comment ?

From my perspective, it's not going to fuck up the pacing, because it just reduces the inflation of levelling up. Being level 279 serves no purpose. It's what you see in some games, but it achieve nothing.

EDIT: I've asked on Steam

Parabalus

Arcane

I am not certain about the cap, but they have said that it's meant to be something like this
5-6 Possible for anyone
7-9 should not be available for untagged skills except if heavily focused on or with mastermind.

But I don't remember them saying anything about lvl 10 onwards. Maybe Vince will see these posts and comment ?

From my perspective, it's not going to fuck up the pacing, because it just reduces the inflation of levelling up. Being level 279 serves no purpose. It's what you see in some games, but it achieve nothing.

Those skill levels are pretty much what you get just in the current EA.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

5-6 Possible for anyone

Those skill levels are pretty much what you get just in the current EA.
They must have been talking about the demo/ea,not about the full game. If there are only 10 levels in the whole game,that will be retarded and it will kill the game for me,for sure.

jackofshadows

Magister
Current thresholds were brought up earlier. Level 10 is achievable even w/o cheat-engine, I've seen one of the testers has reached it, personally I was able to reach 9 with some chunk of content left to do
B824731F27D63228C0F2711CD935AC5E582482C9
I'm surprized actually that 10 is the limit currently because I vaguely remember some of the ITS team was saying about something like 12-13 at least during combat demo test. But I think they should keep this limit for believability purpose. Sure it's an RPG but some guy reaching incredible heights, more than anyone on the ship in say Biotech for such short amount of time? Or learning to literally dodge bullets in case of evasion? Combat wise - lets left the rest of progression to gear and implants as it was intended. They just need to tune numbers, no big deal. It's fine that Mastermind for solo run seems like overkill skill wise, no need to balance around that.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Current thresholds were brought up earlier. Level 10 is achievable even w/o cheat-engine, I've seen one of the testers has reached it, personally I was able to reach 9 with some chunk of content left to do
I take it that you are doing solo run? So i take it that XP is split between the party then?!

Parabalus

Arcane
I take it that you are doing solo run? So i take it that XP is split between the party then?!

In combat it sure is, since the killer gets >90% of XP. Delegates the expendable NPCs you get to meatshield duty as well.

t's fine that Mastermind for solo run seems like overkill skill wise, no need to balance around that.

The issue is in the combat skills, they rise much faster than others if you kill your way through.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
On the subjects of levels.

I prefer low levels, DnD is at its best when you're leveling your characters to 10, not when you go for level 25. So right now the level cap is 10. We might consider raising it to 12 but that's as far as it would go. Since we're in the very early stages of Early Access (it's been less than a month), balance, difficulty, and XP gain rates are expected to change. We let you play on easy, now we'll start tightening things up a bit, starting with the skill gain.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
On the subjects of levels.

I prefer low levels, DnD is at its best when you're leveling your characters to 10, not when you go for level 25. So right now the level cap is 10. We might consider raising it to 12 but that's as far as it would go. Since we're in the very early stages of Early Access (it's been less than a month), balance, difficulty, and XP gain rates are expected to change. We let you play on easy, now we'll start tightening things up a bit, starting with the skill gain.
what are your plans on who can reach max level? Is is something achievable only solo with 10+ int and bonus from tag? Or even 4 int party guy would do?
If max is going to be achievable somewhere in the middle, then focusing on high xp bonus feel like a waste no?

Where are you design wise on skill level vs perk? Do you envision tag or perk to be more powerful? Right now perks are better

Efe

Erudite
how many times did you play dnd at lv25?
does hitting level limit stop skill gain? if not, how are levels relevant to dnd levels? they would be more like a feat limit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
what are your plans on who can reach max level? Is is something achievable only solo with 10+ int and bonus from tag?
No.

Or even 4 int party guy would do?
Definitely not.

If max is going to be achievable somewhere in the middle...
Absolutely not.

Where are you design wise on skill level vs perk? Do you envision tag or perk to be more powerful? Right now perks are better
Feats are better but skill levels are still very important (i.e. feats alone won't make you too powerful).

Pladio

Educated
I am already thinking of not buying the game. Clearly this is false advertising. Such changes will mess up the game for sure.

Which false advertising ? The game is in Early Access and nowhere does it mention you can get to level 256.
You even have the developer telling you 18 months in advance something - there's clearly no false advertising.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I am already thinking of not buying the game. Clearly this is false advertising. Such changes will mess up the game for sure.

Which false advertising ? The game is in Early Access and nowhere does it mention you can get to level 256.
You even have the developer telling you 18 months in advance something - there's clearly no false advertising.
He wouldn't buy the game either way, he only pirates games and uses cheat engine whenever he can and CS is clearly too complicated for him :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom