Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Silva

Arcane
There isn't a single mana button in Imperator, though.

:positive:
Political influence is very much mana.
Good work finding the only "mana" in the whole game. But you said earlier that modern Pdox games were "all about mana points", which clearly is not the case with Imperator.

BTW how is CK3 in this regard? I was waiting a sell to get it but if it's EU4 levels of Mana reliance I'll pass.

Vae Victis was good?

It CKfied the characters/game and added actual election/government mechanics. Before that it was just a bland map painting EU tech demo with like maybe 5 total events coded.
That's incredibly impressive that they could overhaul the game that much. Sadly this would never be able to happen in current Paradox games since their DLC policy means that all updated mechanics need to be fully optional and interchangable with all other DLCs.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:negative: no bros trust me they'll return to Imperator: Rome, it will be a good game soon, best in its class, thousands of DLC expansions, this isn't another Rome: EU situation

razvedchiki

Erudite
i saw that there is a mod that converts ck3 battles to the mount and blade 2 battle system (of all things), and was wondering it was possible to convert imperators battles to field of glory 2.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I just want a good ancient era strategy game. Why is this so hard to make?
You'd need me as part of developer team, nowadays on advisor position. 20 years ago on position of leader programmer/game designer.

There are few problems however.
1. Lines of communication stayed short, thus a country couldn't exactly occupy large territory.
2. Warfare was full of stone and bronze stuff. They stopped to use Iron because of rust and low availability. Bronze was massive invention at that time because it didn't corrode and was lasting.
3. Warfare was about removing some genetics from your country, and genetics diseases and theirs prevention were important. Basically, with low food production, too many people in the country typically caused starvation, and NOBODY in ancient ages was stupid enough to let them. (There was also the problem with slavery...)

A lot of that stuff would be VERY politically incorrect.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Good riddance, this crap could not even get past 3k concurrent players for 2 years.
2KrpJq.jpeg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It is funny that Imperator Rome is probably the best game Paradox ever made. People criticize it, then they go around and buy Crusader Kings III in droves, which is much, much shittier and empty. Paradox fans are morons, they deserve all the overpriced shit they get.

Silva

Arcane
It is funny that Imperator Rome is probably the best game Paradox ever made. People criticize it, then they go around and buy Crusader Kings III in droves, which is much, much shittier and empty
Agreed. Even with the blandness of everything besides Rome, Carthage and the Diadochi (which could be fixed with a couple updates), the game has the most interesting framework for Pops, Politics, Culture and Research in a Pdox game in a long time, or ever.

It will be the basis for any serious Pdox release from now on, be it Vicky3 (if it ever happens) or EUV. And it's director, Arheo, is the only glint of hope this shitty company has to go back to it's prestige roots. :obviously:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It is funny that Imperator Rome is probably the best game Paradox ever made. People criticize it, then they go around and buy Crusader Kings III in droves, which is much, much shittier and empty. Paradox fans are morons, they deserve all the overpriced shit they get.

I don't know about the first part but the second part shitting on CK3 is totally right. It is almost entirely a facade. There is nothing beneath the shell.

Silva

Arcane
Officially it's a pause, but everyone is assuming it's over.

I wonder if it's a blessing in disguise though, as it allows the modders to do their stuff without being hampered by constant updates. The game base is already solid enough, and if modders can address it's handful weak points (like barbarians, diplomacy and trade) it may prove an actual good move from Pdox part in the end.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Officially it's a pause, but everyone is assuming it's over.

I wonder if it's a blessing in disguise though, as it allows the modders to do their stuff without being hampered by constant updates. The game base is already solid enough, and if modders can address it's handful weak points (like barbarians, diplomacy and trade) it may prove an actual good move from Pdox part in the end.
So maybe it's time to "buy" the free to play game so I can download mods, then `acquire` a portable version and install the mods on it.

Just like I used to play Paradox games in the good old days. Incline in my book.

zapotec

Liturgist
Mystery solved, a free upgrade to the deluxe version that includes:
Hellenistic world flavor pack
Wallpaper & Extra

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom