Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Final Fantasy Tactics-like RPG

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
it's a shame that a dlc for this is 12 dollars

I like TJRPGs enough that I was willing to part with $12 to find out if the DLC improved my experience with the game. I knew there would be no possibility of a refund, since it's clearly not feasible to assess the changes in <2 hours.

Thankfully, it did improve my experience. Training new units is eased, so by extension, having to bench a unit or two occasionally isn't such a big deal. The missions dispense additional money, crafting ingredients, and the occasional piece of equipment, which is a concern in the "making things too easy" vein; but as compensation, monster units are more powerful and unpredictable, since they have access to Variants (classes within species, essentially).

At no point have I come close to hitting the enemy level cap, and so far I've only run patrols to grab missed treasures or the odd ingredient, rather than to grind/train.

The missions themselves add a modest dimension of interest to the game, as do the new classes and tameable monsters. My main gripes now are the ugly-ass backer portraits and the holes in the sprite customization that could so easily be filled with a minimum of artistic and programming effort.

Edited to add: It occurs to me to clarify that I don't object to portraits of ugly people because they're ugly, nor because I demand idealized power-fantasy stereotypes (though there's nothing wrong with power fantasies). It's because they break the fourth wall. I know full well that that's not a medieval knight. It's Kyle McConnell, pampered 21st-century office male, Twitch stream enthusiast, and premium Kickstarter backer.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hadn't realized GOG had this. It also showed me THEA 2 was on GOG as well. Its been ages since I played FFT. This looks ... ok.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Hadn't realized GOG had this. It also showed me THEA 2 was on GOG as well. Its been ages since I played FFT. This looks ... ok.

You can download a mod from the Final Fantasy Hacktics forum that applies the War of the Lions translation to the PSX version of the game, then play it in an emulator.

It is, by far, the definitive version of FFT. The PSP-native War of the Lions used lo-fi SFX to save on disk space, alongside many other technical issues and downgrades.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A week on, and I'm still really enjoying this. It's eating up most of my spare time.

I think my most grudgingly appreciated feature is that the enemies get it all. After mid-game or so, "random" enemies will have all/nearly all skills mastered from both their main class and subclass; will have all of their equipment slots filled with top-tier (sometimes better than yours) gear and accessories; will enjoy the pure stat growth of their main class (absolutely deadly, in some cases); they'll have access to a full range of items; and the AI, particularly if you unchain it in the difficulty settings, is excellent and quite devious. Not once have I ever thought that the AI did something dumb. It's tenacious and formidable.

Also, the patrol enemies aren't quite random, other than their exact gear allotment, names, sprite appearance, and a few other details (such as rare events). Each patrol map has a list of hand-designed enemy team and positioning setups that are dispensed in order; once you've exhausted the list, then you get random selections from said list.

Story missions, monster hunts, and similar, more structured battles are even more devious still, with every aspect of the enemies' positioning and abilities carefully set up to utilize the local terrain/gimmicks, synergize with each others' fitments, debuff your group, and just generally be obnoxious and deadly. Furthermore, there are many, many effective combinations in terms of class/subclass/passives/counter, gear, and team setup. This is particularly true of monsters.

You, the player, will nearly always have your characters saddled with incomplete class/subclass setups in order to continually master new classes. All of this combined means that every battle will be challenging and require you to think.

Finally, because you can't steal whole-ass pieces of equipment from enemies (nor acquire them through permanently capturing enemies), the game isn't a robbery simulator as was often the case in FFT and TO. As challenging as it was to try to steal all the good shit off enemies in those games, it skewed your priorities a little too much. There are still ways (Poaching and Bounty Hunting) to acquire rare crafting ingredients and capture monsters through finesse, so the "carefully disable/whittle down enemies" factor still exists.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The game remains full of in-your-face backer portraits featuring ugly, flabby dweebs. I don't want to see "real people" in a high fantasy TJRPG, thanks. On the one hand, most of the totally unavoidable dweebs are shopkeepers
Obligatory:

dw7d1z6mlw9y.gif

lametta

Educated
You can download a mod from the Final Fantasy Hacktics forum that applies the War of the Lions translation to the PSX version of the game, then play it in an emulator.

It is, by far, the definitive version of FFT. The PSP-native War of the Lions used lo-fi SFX to save on disk space, alongside many other technical issues and downgrades.

Was kinda recently eyeing some srpgs like fell seal and fft as well.

Back in the day I played the gba version and thought it was the same with psx/psp. Might give war of the lions a try but isnt the android version the definitive edition(good translation, better gfx and no slowdowns?) besides how does fell seal compare to fft wotl?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Was kinda recently eyeing some srpgs like fell seal and fft as well.

Back in the day I played the gba version and thought it was the same with psx/psp. Might give war of the lions a try but isnt the android version the definitive edition(good translation, better gfx and no slowdowns?) besides how does fell seal compare to fft wotl?
  • Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSX: Original, wonky but famous translation. Older CG cutscenes, no additional characters like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 Main Character or Dark Knight.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance GBA: Completely seperate game from FFT on the PlayStation. Different combat, different classes, worlds, etc.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions PSP: New translation. Introduced a strange slowdown issue, easier due to stronger classes and new special characters. More quests, balance changes, etc.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Android: Same as the PSP version, fixed the strange slowdown issue. The slowdown issue can also be fixed on PSP with modding. No change in graphics aside from the new cutscenes in the PSP version, similar to the Valkyrie Profile port to the PSP.

I wouldn't call the Android ver definitive, unless you mean officially - then sort of. But the gamepad support is bad and the touch screen UI is not great, so it's not easily the best by any means. And people prefer the older translation and not having the other stuff so that's always a bit of contention. There are also those who prefer to use balance mods on the PS version. I prefer WotL with the slowdown patched, I don't really ask for much from it in particular. Ramza Dark Knight amuses me.

lametta

Educated
  • Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSX: Original, wonky but famous translation. Older CG cutscenes, no additional characters like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 Main Character or Dark Knight.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance GBA: Completely seperate game from FFT on the PlayStation. Different combat, different classes, worlds, etc.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions PSP: New translation. Introduced a strange slowdown issue, easier due to stronger classes and new special characters. More quests, balance changes, etc.
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Android: Same as the PSP version, fixed the strange slowdown issue. The slowdown issue can also be fixed on PSP with modding. No change in graphics aside from the new cutscenes in the PSP version, similar to the Valkyrie Profile port to the PSP.
I wouldn't call the Android ver definitive, unless you mean officially - then sort of. But the gamepad support is bad and the touch screen UI is not great, so it's not easily the best by any means. And people prefer the older translation and not having the other stuff so that's always a bit of contention. There are also those who prefer to use balance mods on the PS version. I prefer WotL with the slowdown patched, I don't really ask for much from it in particular. Ramza Dark Knight amuses me.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
And people prefer the older translation....

Those people are retarded.

Granted, the War of the Lions translation is a little too precious with its faux-medieval stylization, but at least it's not laughably Engrish-y like the original. The game's story is deadly serious, and the translation should fit the tone. Ideally, there should be a clean, straight modern English translation.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Just started this. Very much enjoying it. If I have one complaint its that enemy healing can be obnoxious. I know there are designed limitations on this but I'm not sure its quite strict enough. Low damage with easy healing can make patrols into turtle fests. I'm still very early and the pros outweigh the cons quite a bit so far.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wait till you encounter enemy trappers sub-classed into a healer that barricade themselves off in a corner of the map and spam revives every time you kill anything.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Wait till you encounter enemy trappers sub-classed into a healer that barricade themselves off in a corner of the map and spam revives every time you kill anything.
Turns out the laziest build is just 4x Sorcerer with Dual Casting and Mana Expert, and a Gadgeteer/Alchemystic with Initiative to give them Haste and Mind+. I'm blasting through supposedly long dragged-out fights.

EZ

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/699170/view/2990942216942091005
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark update 1.6.0 is out!
a7af958ae81cb39363f3f1346f1d73de7e8bf3a6.jpg

Hello everyone!

As promised, here's the
Knifer and Draekon
update for
Missions and Monsters
!

The update adds these 2 new monsters:
82d92f9fb0a7cebb9078167c3ff842625a7f16b4.gif

8d80bb0b5456dd0931a0ca2bf752afca8a966b93.gif

They come with 2 new missions at the guild, which will each open a Hunt featuring a unique version of one of the new monsters.

Both monsters can be tamed and their essence can be harvested by a certain Bzil unit.
They have some pretty unique abilities, including what we would consider a "signature move" for each one of them. Give them a look! They'll be an interesting addition to your arsenal, opening up new strategies for creative players!

Otherwise, the build has some bug fixes as well. As usual, the full patch notes are at the end of the post.

To celebrate this occasion we have prepared a Steam Daily Deal - starting today at 19:00 CEST, for next 48 hours, you can get
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark with a 67% discount
and the
Missions and Monsters DLC with 50% discount!
If you haven't grabbed the base game or the DLC yet, now is the right time to remedy that.
What's next for 6 Eyes Studio:
Unless further balance tweaks and bug fixes are needed, this is the last major update planned for Fell Seal. We'll be focusing solely on our next project from now on.

This whole adventure has been an awesome experience for us, and we hope it's been for the fans as well!
Again, we've been humbled by the tremendous support from the Steam community and on our Discord. We couldn't have done it without you guys!

Throughout the course of the development, we've done our best to balance community feedback with "what can realistically be done with our effective production power"; all while not compromising our vision. On the whole, we'd claim some level of success in that respect, but at the same time, we know there's plenty of areas that can be improved upon for our future projects. As such, we're hoping everyone will keep walking this path with us and providing us with their feedback, comments and support on our future projects!

As for specifics on the next game, we can't announce too many details yet, but it will be a strategy RPG with turn-based combat and more of a pixelart visual style, rather than the mix of illustrations/pixelart of
Fell Seal
. There'll be a bit less emphasis on battles than
Fell Seal
and more "outside of combat" elements, such as quests, exploring and trading.

On the technical side, we've been busy updating our engines for a while now, and here's what you can expect for our next game:
  • Increased Modding support, including:
    • Adding your own sprites, music and sound effects to the game.
    • Some tools to help with the above.
    • Steam Workshop support.
    • Built-in support for using multiple mods at once (eg. having 2 different mods that add new classes to the game, without having to manually merge their files).
    • Simplified system to add languages.

• Interface:
    An interface primarily designed around mouse and Keyboard, rather than a gamepad (we will still retain full gamepad support though).
  • Saving:
    We'll be making sure not to save in a weird location on Mac and Linux (sorry about that guys!).
  • Sound:
    We redid a lot of the inner working of our sound engine and it should deliver a better experience, with smoother transitions and much smoother "volume ducking" if we end up going that route.
  • Performance:
    This one probably won't exactly be a game-changer for most people, but we've made some updates to our system and it's using less memory and loading things faster in general. Not that
    Fell Seal
    actually had any loading times before, but still...

We'll be releasing more details and some screenshots as soon as we have something presentable!
In the meantime, get on our mailing list (from https://www.fellseal.com) if you want to make sure not to miss any of the upcoming details. Also, you can follow us on Steam, as we'll have some announcements when the store page is ready for the next project!

A question for everyone:
Did you guys enjoy the
devlog
series we had for
Missions and Monsters
? Would something like that for our next game be of interest to you?

We plan on showing you a variety of things throughout production. Do you want to hear more about the lore and story? See images of characters, monsters, and environments? Learn more about the technical processes behind the scene? Understand how the game's mechanics will function? Let us know in the comments!

Patch Notes:
09/09/2021 - Version 1.6.0

New Content:
  • Draekon/Knifer:
    Adding 2 new monsters to the content of Missions and Monsters. The Draekon and Knifer. They have their own sprites, abilities, portraits, Bzil versions, etc.
  • Missions:
    Adding 2 new missions tied to the Draekon and Knifer monsters.
  • Hunts:
    Adding 2 new hunts featuring unique versions of the Draekon and Knifer monsters.

Bug Fixes:
  • Hellhunds:
    Could use the wrong graphic for a specific variant. Fixed.
  • Eruptor:
    There was an issue where the buff wouldn't reset correctly under certain circumstances. Fixed.
  • Change Appearance:
    The option at the guild would be unavailable if the player had no human recruits, even if they had monster recruits. Fixed.
  • Buffs at the start of the turn:
    Buffs granted by equipment at the start of the turn wouldn't show on the information panel until it was refreshed (even though they would be correctly enabled). Fixed.
  • Level Up:
    When gaining a level in combat, the current HP wouldn't be increased by the amount gained to max HP, which would make certain passives tied to "having full HP" less attractive. Changed things so the current HP is increased by the same amount as HP gained for the level.
  • Guttersnipe:
    Pet was incorrectly increasing bleed damage. Fixed. Also, when both Guttersnipe and Polliwog were out, only Guttersnipe would apply its debuff at the end of the turn on adjacent targets. Fixed.
  • Autosave:
    The autosave before battle could fail to save new consumables that were crafted during battle setup, while still using the ingredients. Fixed.
  • Maps:
    Fixing a few layering issues in various maps.
  • Taming:
    If the target was asleep, the sleep effect could remain visible after taming them. Fixed.
  • Mouse Cursor:
    The cursor could vanish on the worldmap under certain circumstances that might leave it invisible in the troops menu as well. Fixed.
  • Class change:
    The mouse would behave oddly in this screen while in 4k mode (or certain other resolutions). Fixed.
  • Scrollers:
    The scroll bar would behave oddly in 4k when dragging the scroll button. Fixed.
  • Misc:
    Fixing small miscellaneous issues.

Modding:
  • Counters:
    The "kOffensiveCounterWithBuff" counter type wasn't fully functional before. It works like kOffensiveCounterWithDebuff, except it adds a buff on the user rather than a debuff on the attacker.
  • Telekinesis:
    The passive will now be useable by human classes as well (it was only working on monster units before).

Suicidal

Arcane
Good combat, AI is actually not braindead like 99.999999% other video games, very customizable difficulty so you can make it quite hard, can be hardcore if you play with permadeath & no reloading (although there is a way to prevent permadeath from happening).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seens to be on a huge sale on GOG atm. I'm seriously considering a purchase since I enjoyed FFT.

Eh purchased the separate packs. The bundle edition is Overpriced at 42$

Also picked up the entire Deep Sky Derelicts. Again, the individual installments. GoG likes to fuck you with showing definitive edition NOT discounted. Appears to have same content.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
Played this during christmas time, enjoyed it quite a lot. Really my only major gripe is that there isn't any major postgame content (that is if even you can call it postgame given that is unlocked right before the final boss) besides that seven floor dungeon. But that can be seen as sort of positive when you enjoy game so much that you just want more of it.

Gonna do another playthrough in the future with harder difficulty settings and try different party combinations (specially use more monsters).

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
If it turns out to be another western trash inspired by Mother i'm gonna fuck every single one of you in the ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom