Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If you squint hard enough you can almost see Beamdog crying in the corner.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Combat is the one thing you could really improve in KOTOR, but the problem is, everything is tied into the combat system. You'd have to change the items, which means you have to change the quest rewards too. And if you're going to ditch the combat system that means leaving behind the D20 system so the character progression has to be changed as well. It means basically ripping out and replacing all of the mechanics of the game and just leaving the story. Maybe it will work out fine and be great but I am highly skeptical.

https://wccftech.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-will-be-an-action-rpg-rumor/

More rumormongering for Codex.

The rumored Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is apparently moving away from the original's turn-based combat, according to rumors circulating online.

MrMattyPlays reported in a recent video discussing the rumored remake that the game will be an action role-playing game of sorts, featuring a combat system that will be more accessible. MrMattyPlays doesn't know any specifics, though, so it could be something more than straight, action combat.

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has been rumored for a while, and it has yet to be announced officially. Earlier this week, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier revealed that the remake is indeed real and it is currently in development by Aspyr Media. The American developer already has a long history with Star Wars games, as it has developed, among other titles, the mobile port of the BioWare RPG.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the guy describing the original KotOR’s combat as “turn-based” might not know what the fuck he’s talking about.

wahrk

Learned
But KOTOR is turn-based, because everything happens in turns. :smug:

Seriously though, the idea of improving KOTOR’s combat to be “more accessible” makes me laugh. As if the originals combat system wasn’t already heavily simplified to begin with? The way to improve it would be to add more options and strategic depth, not dumb it down even more.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Some of you need to temper expectations, DnD Attributes/Skills/Feats and the d20 party based combat were likely the first things to go on the drawing board.
I'll be very surprised if it ends up being anything more than Fallen Order with more force abilities.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
What?! Even more simplified combat? Why not just add "press this button to win".

Yeah, I managed to loose a lot in the beginning, but that was mostly because I had a crappy build as I was still figuring out everything.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the guy describing the original KotOR’s combat as “turn-based” might not know what the fuck he’s talking about.

He definitely doesn't.
He is probably even complaining that chess is not real time by now, and doesn't have the cool features and moving parts like screwball scramble (thanks Ashens for telling me about that).

wahrk

Learned
Some of you need to temper expectations, DnD Attributes/Skills/Feats and the d20 party based combat were likely the first things to go on the drawing board.
I'll be very surprised if it ends up being anything more than Fallen Order with more force abilities.

This seems way too optimistic already. I would be pleasantly surprised if they managed Fallen Order combat with more force powers. That would involve redesigning the entire game from the ground up though, and I don’t know if Aspyr would go that far. If they did overhaul the combat I’d expect something more like DAI.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
This seems way too optimistic already. I would be pleasantly surprised if they managed Fallen Order combat with more force powers. That would involve redesigning the entire game from the ground up though, and I don’t know if Aspyr would go that far. If they did overhaul the combat I’d expect something more like DAI.
I'm going with the presumption this is the 70 million budget game Embracer group said Aspyr was working on and that this will be a complete reimagining similar to the recent Resident Evil 2/3 remakes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'm thinking Mass Effect with lightsabers. Or Witcher 3 with party members.

6n95Qnz.jpg

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
May the 4th be with you, etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure he talked about this before. The part about thinking of Star Wars as fantasy, at least.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
He fucking burst into tears. Jesus.
I know we all like to roleplay as ubermensch on this forum but it's worth remembering there are all kinds of people in this world. Creative types are often very emotional. It isn't a prerequisite for creativity but it seems to help. I think that's why people often can't create as well when they get older/sober up. The emotions calm down and it's harder to summon the madness.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I know we all like to roleplay as ubermensch on this forum but it's worth remembering there are all kinds of people in this world. Creative types are often very emotional. It isn't a prerequisite for creativity but it seems to help. I think that's why people often can't create as well when they get older/sober up. The emotions calm down and it's harder to summon the madness.
I guess. A grown-ass man (and one whose age puts him in gen x as opposed to being a millennial or zoomer) bursting into tears in a professional work environment over trying to figure out how to write for star wars still seems patently absurd. Cry at home into your beer like a regular person ffs.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I guess. A grown-ass man (and one whose age puts him in gen x as opposed to being a millennial or zoomer) bursting into tears in a professional work environment over trying to figure out how to write for star wars still seems patently absurd. Cry at home into your beer like a regular person ffs.
And as a plus, your beer will last longer.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

You do know Gaider is an open fag?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

You do know Gaider is an open fag?
I do. I've worked with any number of gay people, including artists, many of them very competent... and none of them ever burst into tears in the office. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe Bioware was always a disaster.

Cross

Arcane
The only benefit to a Kotor remake would be to implement turn-based combat, which I doubt they would do. They'll likely ditch the RTwP trappings and the d20 system and make it an action-RPG with AI-controlled party members.

The visuals are obviously going to be fully remade, but I'm not sure what they'll do with the story, characters and music, which are utterly banal and forgettable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom