Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex policy is that, in Current Year, any game is an RPG if it identifies as one.

https://steamdb.info/app/623280/history/?changeid=U:22668765

Changed Store Description – The world of Dungeons & Dragons comes to life in an explosive action RPG brawler filled with real-time combat and dynamic co-op. Play as iconic D&D heroes and join up to three other friends to battle legendary monsters, earn powerful gear, and unlock new abilities to take on even bigger challenges.

thinking.png
But the website and Twitter account still say action-RPG.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Codex policy is that, in Current Year, any game is an RPG if it identifies as one.

Changed Store Description – The world of Dungeons & Dragons comes to life in an explosive action RPG brawler filled with real-time combat and dynamic co-op. Play as iconic D&D heroes and join up to three other friends to battle legendary monsters, earn powerful gear, and unlock new abilities to take on even bigger challenges.

thinking.png

If I sent you a press kit with nothing but pictures of my asshole saying it's an upcoming RPG, will you post it?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

thinking.png

If I sent you a press kit with nothing but pictures of my asshole saying it's an upcoming RPG, will you post it?

Upcoming RPG / DLC for that game Black Geyser?.

Couldn't help it. I miss bantering on building sites.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/04/in-depth-look-at-the-art-style-of-dark-alliance/

In-depth look at the art style of Dark Alliance
51147323136_726c71a514_k-FI.jpg

Bringing Dungeons & Dragons to life with a metal-inspired art style.

Before working on Dark Alliance – the action RPG set in the world of Dungeons & Dragons – I was a game cinematics director at a few major gaming studios. My time before Tuque taught me to not just care about the look of a world.

The “vibe” and the characterization of a world is what brings it to life. That’s what I’m here to talk about today with Dark Alliance. Plus, I want to share a lot of concept art from our artists Vincent, Stanimir, Victor, Dimitri, Fred, Jorge, and Even.

Finding Dark Alliance’s Art Core
The concept of Dark Alliance is simple. It’s you and your friends versus this alliance between legions of monsters. The monsters really started to take on a life of their own as we developed the game. In a way, they’re the stars of the show. They’re what you are going to remember when you talk about Dark Alliance with your friends.

I was interested in exploring the various cultures of these monsters. To me, the best way to showcase a culture is through its music and dance.

This is what drove the game’s style, music, and tone. But it also needs to feel fresh in the high fantasy genre. So, one day I was asked to sum up the game’s art style in two words.

We’re heavy metal.

Heavy Metal Inspiration
When I say heavy metal think art style, not music. The game’s music is fully orchestral. Think of the look of heavy metal album covers, or Mad Max, or Apocalypto. Or even one of the original masters of metal – Mozart.

We also obviously take a lot of inspiration from Dungeons & Dragon art that has come before us. The cool thing about D&D is there have been so many unique interpretations of its art over the decades. There is no one set style. But it all still looks high fantasy at the end of the day.

Dark Alliance is that too. When you put everything together, we still look like the fantasy of D&D. The team took care to bring D&D to life in a way fans will get excited about. Our journey there started with heavy metal inspirations, though, to create our own unique flavor.

The Companions of the Hall
The next challenge was bringing four of the most iconic characters in D&D lore to life. We wanted to stay true to R.A. Salvatore’s descriptions of Drizzt, Bruenor, Catti-brie, and Wulfgar in his books. Here is their early concept art.

From there, tweaks were made throughout the development process to make each character more readable in game. Here is the final art of the companions in Dark Alliance.

Where we got to have our own fun is with the various gear each companion can collect and equip. Here is Drizzt wearing an outfit in-game that you won’t be seeing anytime soon in the novels.

Creating the Monsters
There are more than 30 different enemy types in Dark Alliance. Each main faction of monsters gets its own mission structure that explores their architecture, culture, and even a bit of their daily practices. By centering each three-act mission around a faction, it helps us build a cohesive visual design that brings our world to life and makes our enemies more memorable.

I want to talk about two of my favorite monster designs today.

The Duergar
The duergar in Dark Alliance best represent our metal theme. Duergar are cousins to dwarves, typically living deeper in the Underdark. In our game they’re dressed in leather, fur, armor, spikes, mohawks, skull, and bones. They look like a gang of magic-wielding bikers.

The Verbeeg
These giants are probably my favorite character in the game. The verbeeg in D&D are a smaller and more cunning sub-race of giants. The verbeeg in our game are a faction of sadistic hillbillies. They like to wear the skin of their victims on their faces as trophies and have a specific taste for dwarf flesh. But they also like to gather round the campfire and sing about their meals.

We’ll have more to share on Dark Alliance between now and our launch on PlayStation 4 and 5 on June 22.

the studio's creative art director talking about the visual style

Last edited by a moderator:

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Augh. There's these sequences where the video rumbles erratically. I felt very nauseous from watching the gameplay. I couldn't survive for more than four minutes without getting mild headaches and the urge to puke my afternoon supper.

MANNNN, take your little BITCH ASS stomach outta here ya fuckin' eye disease! This is a GAMER'S GAME. Oooh, you wanna play but your poor wittle stomach can't hwandle the scawee wittle shakes? Pop a dimenhydrinate, PUSSY. Hahaha, this is DUNGEONS & DRAGONS as GOD intended. This game is going to light the genre on fire.

INNOVATION AND INCLINE ABOUND, BABY! Look at those animations. IMPACTFUL hits. You niggaz see when my main man, big Wulfgar was smacking those frozen adventurers and how majestic and smooth it looked? How bout when babygurl Catti-Brie ain't need no gameplay description to tell HER how to play and went point blank archery to get an UNCOMMON GREEN HELM (!!!!!!) from a YUGE chest in the middle of the room?!

When Drizzt had his, not one, but TWO scimitars out and rather than show off with them or do the advertised backstabs (likely to keep your cocks from exploding in jizz, thanks based mercy god IGN) he opted to take it easy and have his MOFUGGIN BLACK PANTHER (RIP Chad Boseman or Bozzwick or w/e lol I gotta look up my Twitter follows brb) come out for like two seconds and do some crazy shit I didn't even see because I was so excited!

Jesus Christ, listen... listen... I think we should all buy this game and play it together. Fuck Pink Eye here, this nigga will throw up over everyone so he can be in Crispy's party or something. Let's do it! I love this idea! I love games! I'm a gamer!
No need to go all Shelob on him, ok?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

thinking.png

https://twitter.com/DarkAlliance

Dark Alliance is a four player co-op action brawler set in Dungeon & Dragons' Icewind Dale.

Right, this is definitely an intentional rebranding. Moving to General Gaming.

Codex Year of the Donut

thinking.png

https://twitter.com/DarkAlliance

Dark Alliance is a four player co-op action brawler set in Dungeon & Dragons' Icewind Dale.

Right, this is definitely an intentional rebranding. Moving to General Gaming.
https://darkalliance.wizards.com/en
Clearly calls it an RPG multiple times. Follow the rules!

Drakortha

Liturgist
I didn't even know this existed until yesterday when I saw it on the shelf for PS5 at my local EB games. I was like "huh, that's interesting. A new dark alliance"

Came home and looked up some gameplay and it looks like a weird cross between Dragon Age: Inquisition combat, and Elder Scrolls Online stiff animations. What the holy hell is going on??!?!? Is this what next generation is supposed to look like?? this is trash!

Codex Year of the Donut
it calls itself an RPG, move it to the RPG section
if visual novels go in the RPG section, then so does this shitpile
It CALLED itself an RPG, but now it identifies as an action brawler. Please, stop assuming games' genres.
except it says "action RPG" right on its own website
if storybook games go in the RPG section because they call themselves an RPG, then so does this.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
if storybook games go in the RPG section because they call themselves an RPG, then so does this.
They recently changed the Twitter bio to "co-op action brawler" and the last self-identification statement is the one that counts. Stop being genrephobic, they probably need time to adjust the official documents.

Codex Year of the Donut
They recently changed the Twitter bio to "co-op action brawler" and the last self-identification statement is the one that counts. Stop being genrephobic, they probably need time to adjust the official documents.
They identify as multiple genres, you must learn to respect this.

A horse of course

Did threads get merged? I'm seeing poasts I didn't see a few days ago.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It means it's genrefluid, you bigots!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It means it's genrefluid, you bigots!
Looks rather solid to me.

DemonKing

Arcane
Coming day and date to Gamepass:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/05...iance-is-coming-to-xbox-game-pass-on-day-one/

Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

I am thrilled to announce that Dark Alliance will be available on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10 PC, and phones and tablets via Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) with Xbox Game Pass on Day One, June 22! The game will also support PC and console cross play at launch!

Gather your party, choose your adventurer, and get ready to set out on an epic brawl through Icewind Dale on June 22 with Xbox Game Pass. Forget character sheets and math for the night, Dark Alliance is a third-person action brawler that drops you and your friends into the unforgiving frozen hellscape of Icewind Dale to take on iconic Dungeons & Dragons monsters and collect epic loot. You can venture on your own, but with the addition of cross play on PC and Xbox featuring up to 4-player co-op, why would you?

The Friends of the Hall

Companions1_FINAL-1.jpg

Dark Alliance lets you choose from four iconic heroes, the Companions of the Hall – Drizzt, Catti-brie, Bruenor, and Wulfgar – with over 50 different moves, special abilities, and team-attacks. The combat is pick up and play but difficult to master, with emergent strategies and tactics depending on the situation, skills, and monsters.

Choose what’s best for you: rapid strikes, backstab executions and a giant panther? Drizzt is your guy. Acrobatics, long range bow and arrow more your style? Catti-brie will suit you just fine. Whatever your play style, the Companions have you covered. And it’s a good thing they do…

Frost Giants, Dragons and Verbeeg, Oh my!

Minions2_FINAL-1.jpg

You’re not in Baldur’s Gate anymore, Bruenor. The companions (and you!) find yourself in the frozen north of Icewind Dale seeking the ancient and powerful crystal shard – Crenshinibon. Whoever wields it, possesses immense power. The only problem are the legions of monsters seeking it for themselves. You know the drill. You’ll face 30 different iconic monsters and factions like the above-mentioned beholders, frost giants, white dragons and verbeeg, as well as duergars, gnolls and many more.

The Adventure Begins

Storefront1_FINAL-1.jpg

We are excited to bring Dark Alliance to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Windows 10 PC with Xbox Game Pass! But this is only the beginning of our adventure.

Launch isn’t too far away, and we have so much more to show. That’s why starting tomorrow, May 14 and every Friday until launch, come watch us play Dark Alliance.

Join the developers at Tuque and special guests live every Friday at 12 p.m. PT (3 p.m. ET/7 p.m. UTC) on twitch.tv/dnd and youtube.com/darkalliance.

Join the party!

Looks pretty average to me but at least you should have no trouble finding a co-op game for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Whew. Thankfully they upgraded Cattie-brie. That first pic of her was shit. The second one is not ideal but is way way better. Of course, no way am I buying this game full price. Waiting to bargain bin and then I';ll update the mod where I cna play as Bruenor banging Cattie-brie. :)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Wow, it took a whole bunch of whining but we did it, the thread actually got moved where it belongs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom