Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah Arena was always the stepchild of the TES games... of course not counting Redguard

Luzur

Good Sir
Death Date Release

Daggerfall is a fantasy life sim. The only other part not implemented is death. Death Dates gives players a random death date. Once that date is reached, you will die for one reason or another. Age, sickness, or some other effect. Inspired by the life aspects of Daggerfall, try out Death Date to see how much you can accomplish in your Daggerfall life before the end.

Version 1 - First Release

-Gives the player a random age upon enabling it on that save. Check your current age with the "I" key.

-Your random Death Date is then generated upon acceptance. Live as short as a year or as long as a hundred.

-Does NOT delete your save. You simply can't progress past a certain point.

-Upon your death you'll be greeted with an end screen telling you how you died, where you will be buried, and how those you affected will react.

What I'd like to implement in the future:

-Birthday gift from Guilds

-More ways to subvert your mortality besides vamperisim.

-Options to just have your player age with no death

-Options to have a minimum age and maximum age be set by player.

-Mortal Wounds/ Disease to decrease your life expectancy

Spoiler!
file.php

dd4.png (50.55 KiB) Viewed 31 times

Download on the Nexus: Here

Kamers new mod....but i dunno about this one

Luzur

Good Sir
World of Daggerfall (Betony Demo)
I'm very tired and yet very busy. So I will keep things vague to make this more mysterious and perhaps adventurous for now.
This is one of the projects I've been working on awhile. How about you travel to Betony and see what places you might discover?
Share some screens! I love the sensation of discovery. Just know this is at its earliest stage.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

file.php

Not compatible with distant terrain or UV's Custom Locations (Though those locations will still load in this version of the mod.)

Download:
Betony Vaction.rar
(56.36 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity Beta 0.11.3
Posted on April 19, 2021 by Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.11.3 is now available on Live Builds page. This is another general bug-fix release with some updates to mod system.

Starting from this release, I’m attaching zipped builds along with patch notes to Releases page on GitHub. This will eventually become a longer-term archive for older builds even after they’re cleaned up from Live Builds page. If there’s enough demand, I can work through attaching older builds to previous releases on this page.

Now that I’m finally caught up with code review, I’ll be able to get back into the localization tutorial series. This series was pending some fixes rolled out in 0.11.2 and 0.11.3, so please be sure to update before the next article in series is published.

Quest Debugger Input Changes
The quest debugger has a few changes to input settings. These changes are to prevent accidentally opening debugger during normal play, free up the Tab key for other uses, and to make shortcuts easier on non-US keyboards. For example, the square bracket keys [ and ] are not so easy to use on AZERTY keyboards.

If you are not a quest author or don’t care about quest debugger, you can ignore these changes.

• Quest debugger is now disabled by default. Must edit EnableQuestDebugger=True in settings.ini to activate it again.
  • Ctrl+Shift+D now cycles through debugger display states off/partial/full
  • Ctrl+Shift+LeftArrow now opens previous active quest while debugger active
  • Ctrl+Shift+RightArrow now opens next active quest while debugger active
  • Ctrl+Shift+UpArrow now teleports to next dungeon quest marker while debugger active inside dungeon
  • Ctrl+Shift+DownArrow now teleports to previous dungeon quest marker while debugger active inside dungeon
Note: Some inputs might move character, e.g. Ctrl+Shift+D will also move character slightly to right when activating debugger. This is expected and not considered a breaking issue for a debug/development feature that is normally disabled.

General Fixes & Improvements
Pango

• Potion maker: Fix issues tracking ingredient stack count between cauldron and player inventory
  • Conjured arrows: Don’t stack conjured arrows with different time-to-live
  • Conjured arrows: Always shoot conjured arrows first, priority to lowest time-to-live
  • Conjured arrows: Change colour of arrows to show if conjured or real in inventory and arrow counter on HUD
  • Conjured arrows: Prevent shooting a conjured arrow converting to a real arrow
Ferital

• World: Fix classic bug relating to %ef macro not using correct local race for building names
Hazelnut

• DaggerfallQuestJournalWindow: Change access permissions to allow overriding by mods
  • DaggerfallQuestJournalWindow: Allow events to be overridden by mods
  • DaggerfallLoot: Allow mods to add or modify loot items via FormulaHelper.ModifyFoundLootItems() override
  • Inventory UI: Right-click now works as described in Daggerfall manual to perform complement of equip/remove, appearance cycling moved to middle-mouse
KABoissonneault

• DaggerfallInventoryWindow: Change access permissions to allow overriding by mods
  • Biographies: Fix issues parsing patched BIOG files
  • Biographies: Add ability to add custom biographies
  • FormulaHelper: Add hook to override CalculateCasterLevel
  • FormulaHelper: Add hooks to override spell costing formulas CalculateTotalEffectCosts, CalculateEffectCosts, ApplyTargetCostMultiplier
  • Magic: Fix spells with multiple effects ending too early
Bl4ckh34d

• World: Fix incorrect nature billboards at climate borders
XJDHDR

• ActionDoor: Add support for MeshCollider
  • RuntimeMaterials: Fix bug where dungeon texture not applied if runtime material not attached to base object
  • MeshReplacement: Fix regressions of new scripts not added to mod-added models
TheLacus

• TextBox: Do not draw defaultText if null
Interkarma

• World: Extend town borders by 4096 units – increases distance at which flavour text is displayed, guards will chase player out of town, etc.
  • Magic: Fix player not receiving payload of Damage Fatigue effect
  • Formula: Fix randomness of levelup health roll so this is always different, even after a reload
  • Localization: Fix exception when determining size of new font atlas using deprecated fields
  • Engine: Update Addressables package to 1.17.17

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Really nice to see how active this project is - I downloaded 11.1 like 2 months ago and in the meantime two updates were released, hope 1.0 will come soon :incline:

Poseidon00

Arcane
So what are the current recommended mods?

Dream looks really good and keeps the 2D feel, there are lots of landscape mods, random encounter ones, overland map ones, new guilds etc. Really depends on what you are looking for but they are expanding it in every direction. Even seen an experimental companion or two

deuxhero

Arcane
I remember last time I tried DF unity there was a mod that made it so you could select which quest a guild gave you instead of being given a random one. Any idea what it was called?

ADL

Prophet
Catching up on the last 6 months of Daggerfall Unity. Holy shit. It's awesome but somewhat depressing to see all this for a game that deserved a follow up that never came. At least we're getting to see Daggerfall become the game it deserves to be.

Fucking Todd, I want this game
2Ow3fCO.png

Funposter

Arcane
I remember last time I tried DF unity there was a mod that made it so you could select which quest a guild gave you instead of being given a random one. Any idea what it was called?
Pretty sure it's not a mod, rather it's a function built into the DF Unity main menu.

Catching up on the last 6 months of Daggerfall Unity. Holy shit. It's awesome but somewhat depressing to see all this for a game that deserved a follow up that never came. At least we're getting to see Daggerfall become the game it deserves to be.

2Ow3fCO.png

There was no way they were going to make a game to the level of detail of Morrowind with the entire mainland on 2002 PCs and also fit that all on an Xbox. That's not Todd's fault. Bethesda for once actually made a good decision to reduce the scope to Vvardenfell. At best we would've gotten Daggerfall's procedural emptiness. Not to worry, primitive problems require modern solutions.

42145-1576861728-907251801.png

That's before we get into the mods adding whole other continents like Skyrim Home of the Nords and Cyrodil. All being designed with pre Oblivion lore in mind.

Funposter

Arcane

There was no way they were going to make a game to the level of detail of Morrowind with the entire mainland on 2002 PCs and also fit that all on an Xbox. That's not Todd's fault. Bethesda for once actually made a good decision to reduce the scope to Vvardenfell. At best we would've gotten Daggerfall's procedural emptiness. Not to worry, primitive problems require modern solutions.

That's before we get into the mods adding whole other continents like Skyrim Home of the Nords and Cyrodil. All being designed with pre Oblivion lore in mind.

I love Tamriel Rebuilt, but it's also been in development for about 18,000 years and even now there's broken shit, lacking documentation as people have left the project and a "rush" to continue new areas before properly refining old ones. Kemel-Ze is still not finished. The Ranyon-Ruhn Tribunal Temple questline still doesn't have a conclusion. The latest version introduced a huge amount of missing meshes and THIS ASSET IS DEPRECATED boxes. The content in new releases is generally of a very high quality, particularly the Tribunal Temple content around Almas Thirr, but then you still have places like Necrom that are completely devoid of content despite being supposed "metropolises" and having had their internal layouts complete for close to nine years. It's really not suitable to recommend to anyone but the most diehard Morrowind fans, IMO. There are just too many things that start out with you saying "wow, this is so cool" and then lead to bitter disappointment because the person in charge of that content never finished it, and nobody took over the reins, or if they did, there was no plan on what to do so it was just patched together and then left to rot.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After playing around with this, I gotta say... Daggerfall was not a great game. Ambitious for its time but not very fun to play.
I think it is really fun for a short-ish time. Maybe 10-20 hours.
After that, I agree. It runs out of steam.

Nowadays, people would assume a game like that was Early Access and would need at least a year or two more with content and mechanics added to turn it into something great.

ADL

Prophet
Nowadays, people would assume a game like that was Early Access and would need at least a year or two more with content and mechanics added to turn it into something great.
Nowadays that is exactly what it would be released as given the circumstances they were in at the time and it would've been patched into something glorious. Look at No Man's Sky as a reference and how much they've added over the years, constantly reworking the procgen systems and emergent gameplay stuff.

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity HARD Feature Lock
Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:55 am

I'm looking towards reaching 1.0 by the end 2021. While I have several small milestones to reach before then, and dozens of bugs to address, this is happening and it's coming up fast.

I want to release 1.0 in the best possible stable state. So come July, I'm placing Daggerfall Unity into HARD feature lock. This means the only code changes accepted are:
  • Bug fixes to core and mod system
That's it! This gives everyone in our amazing community plenty of time to get everything in order before release. Modders can rebuild their mods against the Release Candidate builds and feel confident that some last minute change isn't going to break their mod before release day.

And to limit the potential for bug fixes to break mods, I intend to solve as many bugs as possible before implementing hard feature lock in July.

If you have changes in mind for an upcoming mod, please raise your PR before the start of July. Thank you!
icon_e_smile.gif

Once DFU has passed 1.0, and the attention this will likely bring, we can move into maintenance mode and once again start introducing new mod support or refinements.

I hope there's a long future of maintenance releases for DFU and want to stress this stage of hard feature lock is only temporary. Post 1.0, we'll continue fixing bugs, refining game, expanding mod support, and improving localization capabilities. Daggerfall Unity doesn't end at 1.0. The goal is simply to have the best release day possible for our developers and modding community alike.

Mech

Cipher
Well shit, this might actually not be vaporware. I am genuinely surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom