Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Bloodbowl League

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I made a fresh Undead team (it's as an experiment of sorts, on a few levels) for the Codex Open Ladder and I am interested in playing with someone.

I can freely play today (4.05), tomorrow (5.05) and during the weekend (08.05, 09.05).
I'll play, right now or later today if you want :thumbsup:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Good news: I scored

Bad news: I lost

Good news: I had fun

GG Harthwain. Don't know if it's your terrible luck or me getting marginally less shit at the game, but I've enjoyed our games a lot. Let me know if you want to win again sometime.

Harthwain

Magister
The score doesn't quite say how close the game was. In my opinion the result easily could've been flipped.

I screwed up my initial strategy, because I can't count assists, but Nuffle must've smiled on me and blessed me with 6+6+6+6 on my first foul attempt which put one Saurus out of action for the whole match on turn 1 (a Skeleton was put in the penalty box, but I had two spares anyway). I had not terrible blocking dice, too, because my 3 re-rolls were enough to cover most of the problems. Except for one Both Down + Both Down result re-rolled into Skull + Skull (or was it vice-versa?) on a Mummy when making first move after losing the ball. That said, a bunch of stuff I wanted *had* to be done after that relatively safe move, so that was a calculated risk.

And Lizardmen in general had terrible KO rolls (out of 4 attempts they only got 2 of their KOs back). It evened out in the second half somewhat, but only briefly. Skinks' dodges were rather poor (perhaps not terrible, but could've been better).

GG Harthwain. Don't know if it's your terrible luck or me getting marginally less shit at the game, but I've enjoyed our games a lot. Let me know if you want to win again sometime.
Frankly, I think having that extra re-roll was what sealed my touchdown in the first half (as it prevented your standing Saurus from having a chance of reaching the ball-carrier. And it was on my last turn too.

You easily could've scored after 1Ding my Ghoul with your two Skinks, if I were less lucky when POWing (or Both Downing?) your Skink after that, picking up the ball with Wight in a square without tackle zones (without a re-roll!) and legging it away from your Sauruses.

Otherwise I think you were in a decent position to pick up the ball again and score. Or at least tie the half, which is essentially a victory when you're defending. You made a mistake or two (like, when not blitzing with the Kroxigor), but overall you're less shity player than you give yourself credit. Also, my luck wasn't so terrible this game.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Nice one bros. I have TV 1190 Dark Elves to play with if anyone wants to work on leveling a team, or I can always roll a fresh team if you're trying to start from scratch.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also, check this out if you want to see something cool. Pro player AndyDavo executes a beautifully murderous foul against the Norse opponent's yeti.

Harthwain

Magister
Also, check this out if you want to see something cool. Pro player AndyDavo executes a beautifully murderous foul against the Norse opponent's yeti.
I had a similar idea, but worse execution.

Nice one bros. I have TV 1190 Dark Elves to play with if anyone wants to work on leveling a team, or I can always roll a fresh team if you're trying to start from scratch.
I am up for playing. Just drop the time and day and I am certain we'll come to an agreement.

Zanzoken

Arcane
I am up for playing. Just drop the time and day and I am certain we'll come to an agreement.

Sweet, I don't have a lot going on this week so my availability is good. Anytime in the next few hours is fine if you want to play today.

Harthwain

Magister
Sweet, I don't have a lot going on this week so my availability is good. Anytime in the next few hours is fine if you want to play today.
I should be free at 12:00 CET/CEST/UTC+2 (4 hours and 30 minutes from now on).

boot

Prophet
I created a new competition within the existing league called "Codex Open Ladder" with free admission. If you want to play in it with your existing Codex team, all you have to do is quit your team from the Grand Open competition and then join the Open Ladder competition. New teams are welcome to join too, obviously.

There's no schedule or anything, so anyone who is looking for a game should use this thread to link up with someone. When you're ready to play, you both go to the "Play in a league" screen, select the team you registered, then click the "Find an opponent" button in the bottom-right corner.

5FUX4zi.png
The matchmaking tool is random and takes about 5 minutes to make a match, but the idea is that if only two people use it at once then they're guaranteed to connect. It's kind of a wonky system but that's how they do it in the Reddit league I've been playing in and it seems to work well.

good idea, keeps the league alive without forcing commitment to another tournament. Drag me out of shoutbox for a game once in a while.

Harthwain

Magister
Zanzoken

I have to admit I was a bit afraid going against Dark Elves with 2 Blitzers with Dodge and a Witch Elf with Block. I had 230k in Petty Cash and was debating what to take. Out of all options I bought a Dirty Player Zombie and a Bribe. One Elf died on the first or second turn. I can't recall if it was result of a foul or a block, but I was happy that my bench got bigger (more reasons to foul!). After that the first half was a slow and convoluted march towards the end zone. The only thing of note was that I managed to KO some players in the meantime (via blocks, mostly).

Zanzoken did a bold move and on attack sent three of his players behind my lines and drove a deep wedge on the right side. So I did all I could do at that point: I tied up as many of players with my Zombies and Skeletons and sent a task force to Blitz down his Blitzer with Dodge. I was lucky enough to bring him down. Then I was lucky enough to Niggle him with my Dirty Player and two assists. I spent my Bribe on that, but that was money well spent. I bet a Wizzard wouldn't get me any better result.

Then there was an attempt by Zanzoken to score, but failed. I think he made a mistake there by making too many actions, which resulted in his Blitzer failing a last GFI. There was a more efficient way to do this and he could've scored then and there (and, to be honest, I was ready to accept that, considering the overall state of the pitch, so him failing gave me some hope). Sadly, my Ghoul has failed to pick up the ball (rolled 2 into 2) and the Witch managed to Blitz her way out of her personal cage (did I mention I am bad at counting assists?) by rolling 1D Push into Push, then doing 2+ dodge, 3+ pickup into 3+ dodge and... I think that was it (or was there 2+ GFI at the end?). All of that was made possible, because I gave her 1D Blitz.

After that I expected a tie - especially after almost all 4 KOed Zanzoken's players came back - but he was still down 4 players total (1 dead, 2 injured, 1 KOed) after scoring and he was forced to score fairly early (I got 9 or 8 turn to score). And I started to KO more players (Dirty Player helped) and that was enough for me to score a touchdown on the last turn, resulting in 2-1 score. Dark Elves failing some dodges/GFIs after they ran out of re-rolls in the 2nd half helped me too.

If I had shittier blocking dice or just didn't KO as much I bet I wouldn't win that game. I would be a tie at best.

I got enough money to buy a second Mummy and my first Mummy rolled a double on level up (so it got Block, obviously). Now we have two Mummies, 3 re-rolls and a long bench, meaning we can continue the glorious custom of viciously fouling anything in our path and greeting the opposing players into our ranks! Isn't it wonderful?

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I'd like to play more. Please ping me if you would like to play against me, person reading this.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Here are my takeaways from the game. Well played Harthwain. :salute:

I have a bad habit of making dice rolls before I do all my free moves. I think putting heavy pressure on the ball on the first drive was the right move, because most of the undead team was concentrated near the LOS and the kick was fairly deep with only two undead players to cover it. But in my rush to set up a screen I rolled snake eyes on a dodge roll and turned over while two of my players were still in my backfield. It's tempting to blame that on bad luck because it's only a 1/36 fail rate, but I should've thought twice before taking the risk, and only done so when the rest of the team was in position. This also gave away an easy foul which turned into a cas and gave one of my blodge blitzers a niggling injury.

I also threw my blitz to the wrong side of the field on the first turn, which in hindsight was completely retarded.

Even with those fuck-ups I was able to recover, but then I set my screens too narrow on defense (only 1 space in between ranks instead of 2) which allowed the undead to get around my flank. This was completely unnecessary because undead are not agile and the risk of them dodging through a 2-wide screen is nil. That extra 3 or 4 spaces on the screen would have stalled the drive potentially forced the undead to take risks that would allow me to turn them over and prevent a first half score.

On offense, I really don't have any idea what I'm doing. The undead lined up with both of the wide zones completely unprotected, and since I needed a quick score to have a chance to win, I sent a blitzer down each flank and then used the rest of my team to set a light screen that would contain the undead in the middle of the field.

ADPbwPi.png

This looked like it was going to work, but then my blodge blitzer (top right) got knocked down and 7+ fouled, resulting in a KO. Again you could say that was unlucky -- even with a 2d block the chance of knocking down a blodge player without tackle is only 30%, combined with whatever the foul -- but should I have sent those players forward like that to begin with? I really don't know. I feel like on defense I have some foundational knowledge of what I should be doing and why, but on offense that's not the case.

Another takeaway. If the opponent has a Dirty Player / Sneaky Git or whatever, making removing that player a priority. It's infuriating to lose 3 or 4 players in a game to fouls.
Honestly this was a pretty humiliating defeat for me considering I was +200 TV advantage. Harthwain coached his team well and I didn't, simple as that.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I'd like to play more. Please ping me if you would like to play against me, person reading this.

I'm down, just need to grab a bite to eat first. Can you wait around 30 minutes?
Yessir, I'll search for opponent at the top of the hour. I'll field my lizardmen again (think it's about 1000 TV with a loner. Edit: 960 actually) unless you have something much higher or lower you want to try.

Zanzoken

Arcane
GG Strange Fellow :salute:

I don't think you played poorly there at all. Just caught some bad dice at the wrong times whereas I rolled pretty well. My team also has a lot more experience than yours.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
GG. I should've used the wizard when you reminded me (or even earlier), but I thought I had it under control. Turns out I didn't. You generally had a solid defence, and I still have no idea what to do against elves beyond "hope for removals", which isn't working at all. In any case, well played.

I'm up for another game if you or anyone else wants to play.

Zanzoken

Arcane
How long will you be around? I've got another game in me but I need to do a couple of things first.

Also if anyone wants to jump in feel free. I have already played a lot today so happy to give someone else a turn if they want it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
How long will you be around? I've got another game in me but I need to do a couple of things first.

Also if anyone wants to jump in feel free. I have already played a lot today so happy to give someone else a turn if they want it.
Can wait another three to four hours yet before it's too late to start, that work?

Zanzoken

Arcane
For sure, I should be back in like an hour tops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom