Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Arx Fatalis Insanity Mod

JDR13

Arcane
I was just thinking of Arx earlier today after I heard a piece of BGM in another game that reminded me of it. I'd love to replay it after 10+ years. Not sure if I'd use this or Arx Libertatis though.

deama

Prophet
Wait, so the 30th october is the demo release date not the actual projects' release date?

EDIT: Oh ok, I think he's releasing a "beta" and will use that to collect bugs and fix them, I guess the real release date will probably be in a few months or next year.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
Why do all these visual overhaul mods update the textures but leave the models alone?

Hey look, here is a crisp 200mb wall texture next to a 16 polygon character model. Shit looks awful.

waken

Educated
Why do all these visual overhaul mods update the textures but leave the models alone?

Hey look, here is a crisp 200mb wall texture next to a 16 polygon character model. Shit looks awful.
Because changing textures is easy. It's basically just import into PS - do your thing - export. Updating models on the other hand is a lot of work. It's not just the matter of the model itself, you have to redo UV-mappings and likely animations as well.

I agree about it looking awful though, and it's partly why I never download texture mods for games. Also because average but cohesive design throughout the game > mishmash of good and bad.

Robber Baron

Savant
2DO.gif

Baron Dupek

Arcane

You need access to developer's tools and learn how to use them properly only to find out there is nothing you can do with these animations. All that for one forgotten game.
At this point it would be easier to re-create this game in different, modern engine to get better models and animations.
And by "easier" I mean it would still be a fuckton of work, but with higher change to be done in comparison to first option, which have 0% (zero) chance.

In both cases you need really bored and insane people (because modders, yada-yada) with a lot of free time at their disposal. It's not like this overpopulater rock have higher chance to spawn creative people with some work discipline to reach the final milestone...

There was already case where they tried to recreate this game in Doom 3 engine under "Arx: End of the Sun" name, it was when The Dark Mod was still a mod.
Only one of them reached final, standalone phase.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
TLDR is this a gameplay or graphic overhaul?

Same question regarding Arx Libertatis

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Because changing textures is easy. It's basically just import into PS - do your thing - export. Updating models on the other hand is a lot of work. It's not just the matter of the model itself, you have to redo UV-mappings and likely animations as well.

I agree about it looking awful though, and it's partly why I never download texture mods for games. Also because average but cohesive design throughout the game > mishmash of good and bad.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion myself after many bouts of Oblivion and Skyrim modding over the years. Having a bunch of mods with different artistic visions makes a ghastly visual mess, no matter how high rez the textures are.

PrettyDeadman

TLDR is this a gameplay or graphic overhaul?

Same question regarding Arx Libertatis
For arx insinity its both. You have new difficulty level with changed enemy encounters and immersion mod with changed user interface (only gui element is inventory). Maybe more? It seems he also made changes to levels. Added some puzzles and more interactivity (like rubble which you can set on fire to damage enemies and etc). He added more enviromental details (like more stuff on tables, more npcs in taverns and etc). He added additional journals and stuff.
And as far as Arx Libertatis goes - there is no point playing vanilla game after it was released. They added a bunch of QOF changes like high resolution support, gui scaling, better runes recognition and etc without which playing is very painful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Peste

Arcane
PATCH 0.4.6 HOTFIX NOW AVAILABLE!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/arx-insanity-mod/news/demo-patch-046-hotfix-now-available

The latest patch is now available in 2 versions, full and patch only, Reshade support, French and German languages are now available!. With 475 bugs fixed, requests and new features done, update your demo installation to this latest version to get an improved game and a better experience.

Thank you very much for all your support, merry Christmas and happy holidays!.

In the most important changes and addons:
  • Reshade is now available (Requires an extra manual installation)
  • French language implemented
  • German language implemented
  • Re-balanced Insanity and Nightmare difficulties
  • Long tutorials now are shortened
  • A new notifications option in the main menu
  • Russian version Improvements
  • 475 features solved and done
  • Polished gameplay and experience
  • Improved performance with fogs
  • New sound effects
  • Improved general NPC AI
  • Polished and finished Arx Insanity in-game achievements
  • And a lot, a lot of fixes in these 475 features implemented in this patch

deama

Prophet
Is it still a "demo" or can you fully play with it? Cause I remember checking it out back in November, but it said that it was an early access and you couldn't finish the game with the mod or something like that?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is it still a "demo" or can you fully play with it? Cause I remember checking it out back in November, but it said that it was an early access and you couldn't finish the game with the mod or something like that?

From the link above:

ModDB said:
Patch to fix more than 400 issues and add new features. Arx Insanity demo is now available to download in a stable version. Play and test the first levels from the game as early access, from sneak and use stealth in the dark goblin prisons, visit the human outpost and survive the dangers of the crystal caverns.

Posted by Pedro_Ordaz on Dec 24th, 2020

Don't get your hopes up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom