Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell me about Platinum Games.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Bayonetta gameplay is fantastic, but the game feels way too segmented, and is not as fun as other games to play through. But that shouldn't be a problem for your first playthrough, since it's more a replayability problem. Actually haven't played Bayonetta 2 myself, so I can't tell what's it all about. Definitely recommended.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is super fun, and the last boss fight alone is worth the 20€. Music is absolutely bonkers, and the "Cut" feature was a really nice mechanic. Never played a MGS game either, but that didn't really matter at the end. One of the DLC characters is pretty interesting to play too. So definitely recommended.

God Hand is the best, the funniest, and the most soulful Brawler out there. Once the game clicks (since the controls will probably annoy you in your first hours), it's just a wild ride from start to finish, studded with over the top humor, excellent boss fights, a large array of moves, the most based male protag in video game history, and incredible music. Must-play.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I ran through Bayonetta 2 so fast I barely remember it, but the first one left a better impression. The actual story was shit but the setting and gameplay was cool.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Platinum games is one of the few developers that make video games and don't try to think of it as some piece of art or some higher purpose. Games = fun and escapism = Platinum Games

Shared by Hideki Kamiya himself on Twitter :

nY1O2zY.jpg

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I am not much into jRPG's myself
Supposedly the guy made some Drakengard games, that where purposely violent because he doesn't understand why videogames in general are so violent

I don't know...
The guy wers a circular laughing moon helmet all the time
Being a oddball is his gimmick...

Then he made Nier, which despite having mediocre gameplay even for jRPG's standards people swear is one of the best fucking jRPG's ever because of the setting, atmosphere and music
So Nier became a cult classic, which is the reason Platinum agreed to make a new Nier game - Nier Automata
Which became his breakout title, and made him a big name
Not really important, but the mask + scarf that Yoko Taro wears is Emil from Nier.
latest

As for Drakengard, yeah, it's over-the-top violence. For people interested, all of his games are connected. Nier is the continuation of one of the endings in Drakengard.

Sjukob

Arcane
Did you live under a rock?
Don't care about any of the trends at all, as you can see.

I played Doom for the first time in 2014 or something and Deus Ex in 2015, if I remember correctly. Haven't tried any of the Thief or System Shock games, also never played Pokemon or any of the Final Fantasy games, don't even know what they are about.

Anyway, Vanquish seems to be getting a lot of praise here, the best third person shooter I've ever played is Max Payne, is Vanquish really better? I agree that Warframe had some really cool mechanics, but yeah it should've never been a loot shooter or whatever.

fork

Platinum games is one of the view developers that make video games and don't try to think of it as some piece of art or some higher purpose. Games = fun and escapism = Platinum Games

nY1O2zY.jpg

Are you retarded?

Maybe not art, but if there is one developer that comes to mind when thinking of style over substance, it's platinum. Gameplay is utterly mediocre in all platinum games.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Not a fan?
Still you don't try out the greats of a genre you'll never know.
Besisdes Thief 1 as some levels that are more akin to dungeon crawling then stealth.

Also System Shock aren't stealth games

Anyway, Vanquish seems to be getting a lot of praise here, the best third person shooter I've ever played is Max Payne, is Vanquish really better?

IMO they are on the same level of quality just they have different focus
Max Payne is a run 'n' gun, while Vanquish is on the surface a stop 'n' pop
The thing separates Vanquish from other shooters of that ilk, is Vanquish's slide boosting mechanic (among others)
For the sake of brevity, Vanquish punishes players that perform badly by forcing them to play a cover shooter

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The only really bad ones which you should avoid are Legend of Korra
Eh, it was a $15 product at release AFAIK and it was worth that much. $10-15 maybe. On sale maybe you could get for $5-10.

Not so much "bad" but, well, they didn't have much of a budget lol. (I did program voice commander so I can just call out the elements though lmao)

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Anyway, Vanquish seems to be getting a lot of praise here, the best third person shooter I've ever played is Max Payne, is Vanquish really better? I agree that Warframe had some really cool mechanics, but yeah it should've never been a loot shooter or whatever.

Vanquish is the sickest shit ever, my guy. Give it a go.

Gruncheon

Savant
Platinum games is one of the view developers that make video games and don't try to think of it as some piece of art or some higher purpose. Games = fun and escapism = Platinum Games

nY1O2zY.jpg

Are you retarded?

Maybe not art, but if there is one developer that comes to mind when thinking of style over substance, it's platinum. Gameplay is utterly mediocre in all platinum games.

One of the more retarded posts I've read in my time here.

Platinum is, within it's genre, the best at making deep action games that require mastery and excel on their highest difficulty. What games are competing with Platinum's for best action game? The Batman Arkham series? Yakuza? Ninja Theory's slew of shit? Furi? Old God of War? Nu God of War? Literally every single one of these games is a better target for the accusation of style over substance. The only other devs that stand toe to toe with Platinum are Capcom (who they share DNA with) and, for a brief while, Team Ninja. Even Revengeance, which is one of Platinum's most flashy and least deep pure action games, is still very solid with excellent bossfights.

Who do you think is making better, deeper action games?

Gerrard

Arcane
A hugely overrated studio that made as many garbage games that flopped (one of them so hard that it was removed from the market and money was returned to everyone who bought it) as decent ones.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Not a fan?
Still you don't try out the greats of a genre you'll never know.
Besisdes Thief 1 as some levels that are more akin to dungeon crawling then stealth.

Also System Shock aren't stealth games
I only played demo of Thief i've found on some cd from vidya gaems magazine 20+ years ago. Finished it but understood that's just not my genre.
System Shock was great.

deama

Prophet
I recently tried vanquish but didn't like it much, can't quite say why, just didn't swell with me as well? I thought titanfall 2 worked much better, but that's a 1st person shooter.
I can't even think of any good 3rd person shooters I played.

Ivan

Arcane
Vanquish didn't click for me. I hated that the game forces you into slowdown whenever you enter low health, which is often if you use the slide a lot. Also, fighting against mechs that don't bleed (e.g. MGR) just doesn't sate the old bloodlust.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Vanquish didn't click for me. I hated that the game forces you into slowdown whenever you enter low health, which is often if you use the slide a lot. Also, fighting against mechs that don't bleed (e.g. MGR) just doesn't sate the old bloodlust.

You have a meter.

The only time the game forces you into a cooldown is on melee attack connects.

edit: nvm, I'm retarded, I misread.

Yeah, game does force you into cooldown on low health, but eh, that's better than dying, I guess.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I actually really enjoyed Vanquish, but got stopped on the one-hit ko boss.

I'm sure there was some sort of gimmick to him, but he pissed me off to the point that I dropped the game.
Should pick it up again one of these days.

Amurada

Educated
God Hand is the closest any of these games come to being 'deep' -- and only to some extent. Don't know what all this nonsense everyone is bandying about calling Bayo games deep in any considerable way. I guess much like the story/combat fag split, people really don't know how to bring substance to the topic... explains all the Matosis-fags. Ninja Gaiden is 'deeper' than Bayo alone for having substantially improved enemy AI. Being the arcade maven that he is, Kamiya and crew extract entertainment value out of their games by designing enemies akin to how they function in Galaga ffs -- which helps make their games great, but it quickly devolves into learning how to approach the serpentine ships as opposed to the kamikaze, as opposed to the shoot 'n run; that, and the cinematic aspects Kamiya learned from GoW (2005).

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
One essential/core/inner factor/observation that has not been mentioned that makes Platinum games of the top/best of the 3rd perspective action genre, at least among the known (Fromsoft, Team ninja):
Is that they will not lock you into moves/animations, allow dodging midway of the action/attack. They do not restrict your control/actions to attack animations over the need for defense/avoiding getting hit. That is what i read and confirm the experience i have in game of that genre.

It applies to God hand and Wonderful 101, you can trigger the dodge/block to interrupt/stop your attack. dodge button makes you invulnerable briefly. read it applies to Bayonetta, mentioned as one of their earliest titles.
Notes:
I do not recall precisely if it applies to following(been years since i played):
Vanquish(shooter=very simple/short attack animations, can one interrupt/dodge during grenade throw?)
Metal Gear Revengeance which is about facing direction block/parry, There is a melee double kick attack from an enemy which is homing, one cannot dodge it by outrunning even if the screen shows around 40-50 centimeters difference between PC's head and NonePC's kick.

Contrast/Compare it to games such Nioh, Dark Souls where each action even mundane such as drinking the "health potion" , will lock you up, making your PC(player character) unable to perform different move/actions until the animation is finished or it gets hit/damaged. You are committed(cant cancel/interrupt) to every attack you make, reasonable with large object move such as great sword attack but unreasonable with small object such as item use.
At least in dark soul such rigidness can be explained by the PC being undead: a state imagined that has no instincts, it instincts withered off for it cannot die thus has no use for them.
The results are they encourage two play-styles/approach's/tactics:
A- a re-active play-style, to wait for the opponent make a move then follow up with attack or combos of attacks in the opening window/time-frame/opportunity.
B- Safe pokes with short quick attack as to not lock oneself into being hit/punished. That also demean/lessen/discourage the use of combos(move combination). since during them you are open to attack and in 1 vs many or strong opponents not staggered/fazed/stunned by hits, it "dangerously" lead to PC death.

Head on/aggressive/ACTION based approach is discouraged.
Platinum games seem to encourage it. I deem responsiveness/direct control in Action of fatal impotence which Platinum games seem to provide over the rest of ilk.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Another factor is platinum games offer greater/additional variety,gimmick(stage/level not base mechanic/rule) which spices up each stage/level/area, like a different flavor/sauce on food, making their games more interesting(on the basic/law/principle they offer more over less within the objective). Which can be categorized/described as level design or an aspect of it.

Where despite how little times pass(dozen of minutes), they offered a "rich" experience/ a lot has happened in the time frame. Every platinum game i have played so far can be played at minimum 20-30 minutes intervals a day and be satisfied. Wonderful 101 is the best/richest example. Highlighted the most from my experience even if i could not play it in full. When compared to other 3rdperson action genre and factoring frequency ,amount, impact(how notable they are).

Notes:
*The variety and how we categorize/order/compare it is a large/colossal task/effort if one to do so accurately and be of lasting use. Just note when comparing with other games is it mostly passive such as level/background or active as new or specific ways in which to dispose of enemies.

*I have not played the console version of Wonderful 101, In the PC version, since the mouse input is imprecise which is a main function/mechanic/rule in the game thus detrimental/bad/preventing you from advancing in it. Tolerated it until the blue lobster boss where failure in input resulted in the boss recovering health(if memory serves).

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Vanquish seems to be getting a lot of praise here, the best third person shooter I've ever played is Max Payne, is Vanquish really better?

I have not played Max payne, as Im aware, it is the first game with slow motion(bullet time) mechanic/rule/function.
Vanquish has bullet time AND highspeed/turbo dashing allowing more maneuvers such speeding to be behind the enemy back without stealth, I see/view/deem Vanquish has modern day sonic with guns due travel speed.
Does Max payne has such dashing?
Vanquish is better for it has both on the basis it adds, provided more*.
*(on mechanical/rule parameter/measurements not counting/considering better graphics or setting that allows more variety).

Do note/assume/imagine: if Max Payne did not exist, Vanquish would not exist on the basis that Max Payne made bullet time available to other games after it. Was there bullet time before Max Payne?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Unfortunately, they are not very experimental, as most of their games derive from what had already been established with the first Bayonetta title.
On what definition of experiment?
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/experimental 4. based on or derived from experience; empirical: experimental knowledge.

If they were not experimental (as often used in games):
  • Metal Gear Revengeance would not have the slice/cutting function/mechanic/ability.
  • Vanquish would not have bullet time+ sliding speed movement.
  • Wonderful 101 would not use the motion stick as a core/essential and such a degree in the game. It is also in TOP VIEW game, over their general 3rd person view.
  • Astral Chain is considered experimental, I read it has controlling/directing two characters in action game(not in equal amounts and without pause-like mechanic/rule/function).
  • God hand( (while of Clover company), has move/key customization and a timed super move menu.
Has platinum made games that allow mechanics/functions/abilities in the above many times over? Has other 3rd person action games provided what they did? Have they copied without adding and even taking away from previous games that did?

If they had not done such games before, they are/can be considered experiments and thus Platinum is a company that is very experimental in their games for they take risk. They innovate: to begin or introduce something new.
an innovation in our current video game industry model is to experiment.

They do not stick to tried and true formula of franchises/series described as copy&paste. Example: Call of Duty ,a series with graphics details the main difference. I have played only 1 game in the "call of duty" series but have not noticed/read/heard major difference in the way they are played in most of them.

If the company is not experimental on genre basis, that is, they do not create games outside the action genre(such as RTS), than you are correct but this forum provided examples on why its bad/detrimental/unadvised.

as most of their games derive from what had already been established with the first Bayonetta title.
All if not Most games derive from what had already been established.
That is the rule not the exception.
Games that do what no game has done before them(derived) without being lower in at least half of what games has done before in frameworks such as genre, are to be deemed/considered Genius work.

note:
Genius=Genie=Gen(to create)=Generate=Genre. Engineer and engine are too a variants of the word Genius.

He just so happens to surround himself with some of the best combat designers in the business.
Can you please mention their names? I deem they deserve to be known/credited/repeated. Viewing a credit list can be a hassle.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
My experience from Platinum games comes with:
Metal Gear Revengeance,
Vanquish
Wonderful 101 (until the blue lobster boss)

If we count/factor/base on Kamiya as director/founder:
God Hand

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom