Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

Perkel

Arcane
My main issue is that there is not enough new content and old content is basically rehash not even of MHW but old mh games without any improvements other than extra layer of paint.

I mean what is the point of playing it when you have MHGU with its 95L.Monsters if you just want to play old gen monster hunter ? Yes it looks a bit worse but not that worse and its map system makes a much more sense than those open maps in mhrise.

Or just go with 4U if you want actual challenge.

Who knows maybe G version to Rise will be what G version was for Tri and fundamentally changes game in the end. Tri had like 16 l monsters while G version had like 50 released later on 3ds and wiiu.

Tri also was one of my favorites despite such low content amount, because it featured challenge and actual new fun monsters.

I have currently 30 hours in MH rise and finished both main and gathering hub quest lines. It is THAT easy where i can just go with Aksoom armor from high rank and do everything easily without looking at anything really.

It is also the first MH game where you don't even need even one point in Guard. Yes there are some special attacks you can't defend but they either way don't do that much damage while normal attacks barely do any health damage or stamina damage. Couple that with cat health flutes and endemic life regens and you don't even need to have potions.

Compare that with MHW even where you had to literally stack all guard you had + uragaan set bonus to just defend against nukes from elders and even then they would still take huge chunk of your life facing it head on with your shield.

Last edited:
now is the time to be a Gunlancer

IUaK7x.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My main issue is that there is not enough new content and old content is basically rehash not even of MHW but old mh games without any improvements other than extra layer of paint.

I mean what is the point of playing it when you have MHGU with its 95L.Monsters if you just want to play old gen monster hunter ? Yes it looks a bit worse but not that worse and its map system makes a much more sense than those open maps in mhrise.

Well, the point for me is to have all the improved weapon gameplay and silkbind moves which I like more than the styles and arts of MHGU, along with the new Rise monsters which are pound-for-pound the most consistently good new additions to the roster that the series has ever seen. They're not all the best monsters of all time, but they are good (although Goss Harag and Magnamalo are up there among my favorites now). Almudron is the only weak new monster, bordering on being a bad fight, but the rest are great. But if all you care about is raw content then yeah, it's better to stick with GU for now.

It is also the first MH game where you don't even need even one point in Guard. Yes there are some special attacks you can't defend but they either way don't do that much damage while normal attacks barely do any health damage or stamina damage. Couple that with cat health flutes and endemic life regens and you don't even need to have potions.

I mean, yeah. If I had a healing Palico I never needed potions in MHG/U or World either (and World pushed it even further to the extreme with Rocksteady and Vitality mantles). Maybe in 4U, too, I can't remember how good it was there since it's been so long ago since I played it. Same deal in Rise. The cats are really powerful, though I forego the Healing palico since having two gatherers to collect an extra 8 monster materials is just too good to pass up on.

As a side note: if you stack defensive skills in World and Rise you can attain near immortality to the point where a Rajang beam will only plink a tiny sliver of your health away.

Compare that with MHW even where you had to literally stack all guard you had + uragaan set bonus to just defend against nukes from elders and even then they would still take huge chunk of your life facing it head on with your shield.
Guard Up wasn't really useful in base World either. It'll get more use when they start adding the bigger and badder elders and apexes.

Perkel

Arcane
Guard up was difference between cart and no cart when Teostra would do its nuke or Nergigante its dive.
In iceborne though 2-3 monsters could go through it either way. The rock one is the one i remember for sure lasered me out from guard but overall that fight was fun but pretty easy.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At least the removal of loading time between areas is always going to be a plus regardless.
The cats are really powerful, though I forego the Healing palico since having two gatherers to collect an extra 8 monster materials is just too good to pass up on.
Past games, AFAIK MH4U gathering palicoes do help, but they only gather a handful of monster mats and I believe It was only shinies. Considering how much of a chore is to hunt a monster +50 times just for rare mats without the help of gathering palicoes, how much of a difference they have done?.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Guard up was difference between cart and no cart when Teostra would do its nuke or Nergigante its dive.
In iceborne though 2-3 monsters could go through it either way. The rock one is the one i remember for sure lasered me out from guard but overall that fight was fun but pretty easy.
True, but I think it was only tempered HR Teo. Normal HR Teo wouldn't OHKO even without a shield with his nuclear explosion. He was weak like a new born kitten.

At least the removal of loading time between areas is always going to be a plus regardless.
The cats are really powerful, though I forego the Healing palico since having two gatherers to collect an extra 8 monster materials is just too good to pass up on.
Past games, AFAIK MH4U gathering palicoes do help, but they only gather a handful of monster mats and I believe It was only shinies. Considering how much of a chore is to hunt a monster +50 times just for rare mats without the help of gathering palicoes, how much of a difference they have done?.

Your gathering palicoes in Rise can get 4 monster materials each per monster. 1% chance to get a gem, maybe the same % (or a bit higher) for a plate. You have an 8x 1% to get an orb/gem with two gathering palicoes. Since there are no investigations in Rise any increase in chance to get gems are welcome, especially since some monsters have consistently dogshit droprates that no one else seems to have much luck with either; magnamalo purple orbs and almudron golden orbs; seems like any orb item is much rarer than normal gem drops like jaspers and rubies despite them having the same percentages in the hunter notes. But that's RNG for you. In addition to the increased odds in getting rare drops with your palicoes the gathering ones are actually one of the best ones for combat as well due to endemic life barrage.

Perkel

Arcane
AS much as i like cats to introduce some strategy into preparation in some spinoffs like GU i think they are net negative overall to formula in mainlines.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Rise was updated today. Here are some of the new stuff they added:
Teostra, Kushala Daora (with a new move, and Poison works against him again), Chameleos, Bazelgeuse, Apex Rathalos, Apex Diablos. Some of the previous Apex Monsters (iirc Rathian, Mizutsune and Arzuros) got their own non-rampage quests, so it's now confirmed that we'll eventually get to fight all the Apexes in their own hunts. Magnamalo can now enter rampages as an invader. A ton of new decos were added, such as WEX as a level 2 (lol) deco, which is putting all the people who obsessed over perfect WEX charms the past month on suicide watch. So far I can't seem to find any info if Apex monsters have their own armor sets. This doesn't seem to be the case, which is incredibly disappointing to me, but they do drop Apex materials needed for some of the new decos they added. There are solo arena challenge quests such as Rajang + Magnamalo with more coming down the line. Event quests are in. They also increased the upgrade cap on armor.

Could be some other stuff as well but that's what I've read so far.

Perkel

Arcane
2.0 ? More like 0.9 Decided to sell it today, bought myself FireEmblem instead.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I have to admit, I'm really disappointed with Apex monsters now that I know they won't have their own armor sets. They drop the same mats as the basic version of the monster with 1 extra apex item that seems to be used for deco crafting, and their quests reward a lot of the new tier of jewels needed for new decos. I was expecting more from the dev team that made MHG/U since deviants and their equipment were pretty cool (although the quest+ticket system to make deviant gear was full of shit), but this seems to be the intended end game system for deco farming with rampages being for end game charm material farming, two things I don't really care all that much about.

Zerth

Arbiter
In MHG/U you also can unlock the R-series armor sets, these required hyper monster mats and are pretty much MH legacy equipment intended for making quite potent end game mixed sets, being among the most popular R Akantor,Rathalos and Ceanataur.

Perkel

Arcane
Apex stuff is basically just tempered/apex etc from other mhgames. They also did not drop any new maps. Deviants were special case though and beside deviants in MHGU there was also apex/tempered mechanic which did not give mats.

Okay, debate time: Flatter, minimalist level design of mh3/mhr vs. vertical, more detailed levels from mhw, which is better and why? Dicksus!

Personally, I'd go with nu-MH level design of MHW. I just love verticality in any form and think it adds more possibilities for aerial play, covering behind terrain, and just looks amazing

I see people hating world's level design because they "often have to fight monsters in corridors/tight spots", but honestly, if you're fighting monster in an unfavorable spot it's just your fault. Throw poop at him and move somewhere else lol, world has enough clean flat arenas across all areas

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Okay, debate time: Flatter, minimalist level design of mh3/mhr vs. vertical, more detailed levels from mhw, which is better and why? Dicksus!
Flat, because I like to fight the monster and not the environment. It's not like old style / MHR maps are completely flat either, but you won't be fighting monsters in any sloped arenas either which was a real pain in the dick.

Flat, because I like to fight the monster and not the environment. It's not like old style / MHR maps are completely flat either, but you won't be fighting monsters in any sloped arenas either which was a real pain in the dick.

I didn't play any games between mh3u and mhw, but from what I heard mh4u was somewhere in-between the flatness of mh3u and verticality of world, is that correct? Maybe some compromise between two opposites would be nice

I think terrain verticality is something you only appreciate with certain weapons. I mostly play gunlance so naturally I love ledges for quick fullburst potential and hate slopes because they mess up with my upward thrust combo starter. But switching to hammer made me realize how much I love all slopes thrown around the place.

Just hunted black diablos yesterday and struggled to do any serious damage for 5 minutes until I moved to a sloped corridor which allowed me to basically start every damage rotation with an amazing aerial spin move that just SHREDDED this muthafucker apart

There are just so many other cool terrain interactions in world, like doing a lance charge down the slope for achieving hypersonic speeds in mere seconds or running up the ledge with sword and shield's jumping advancing slash. And I'm not even talking about gunlance's aerial full burst that literally makes me cream my pants every time I see it

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I didn't play any games between mh3u and mhw, but from what I heard mh4u was somewhere in-between the flatness of mh3u and verticality of world, is that correct? Maybe some compromise between two opposites would be nice

I think terrain verticality is something you only appreciate with certain weapons. I mostly play gunlance so naturally I love ledges for quick fullburst potential and hate slopes because they mess up with my upward thrust combo starter. But switching to hammer made me realize how much I love all slopes thrown around the place.

Just hunted black diablos yesterday and struggled to do any serious damage for 5 minutes until I moved to a sloped corridor which allowed me to basically start every damage rotation with an amazing aerial spin move that just SHREDDED this muthafucker apart
MH4/U tried to bring verticality more into the table, yes, especially since it introduced mounting and the IG which is (or was, I dunno much about the weapon) a very aerial focused weapon. I like MH4U's map verticality, I just didn't like MHWs map design. Rotten Vale and Hoarfrost were the only two that I really liked.

I think World's map design is as polarizing as underwater combat was in Tri since it also kind of depends on what weapon you used and if its moveset really profited from stuff like aerial attacks and such. Like the Hammer which was just insane with its spinning attack.

I just didn't like MHWs map design. Rotten Vale and Hoarfrost were the only two that I really liked.

Yeah I think Rotten Vale, Wildspire Waste and Elder's Recess have the best balance between vertical and flat, they have a bunch of flat arenas that are ideal for big fights when you don't want to accidentally slide down a slope, but also provide lots of places filled with terrain irregularities if you feel like using aerial moves. My personal favorite is Coral Highlands though, it just feels so fucking awesome to glide and grapple around.

On the other hand I think Ancient Forest is actually overloaded with unnecessary tight corridors and over the top visuals that could take your attention away from the hunt. It also takes too long to get on top of the map because it lacks the shortcuts Coral Highlands has for quickly grappling/flying to the highest areas

Zerth

Arbiter
In MH4U, IG has the pole vault which is the only move that allowed you to perform an aerial slash without jumping off a slope. Gen/U, the aerial style enhances the pole vault, the vertical vault becomes a leap with quite a long reach, but outside that style, IG was pretty much the same in regards of moveset. From MHW to the latter Rise is where they actually took the IG aerial moveset to a new level.
Back to MH4U, IMO DB is the king of slope attacks, It performs a forward aerial spinning slash after demon dashing across a slope. It was through that weapon which I really could appreciate the verticality of MH4U, specially in Ancestral Steppe, Sunken Hollow,Frozen Seaway and Heaven's Mount.
I suppose weapons with stunted mobility or sheathing speed are annoying to wield in any irregular place other than flat arenas.

Last edited:

Citizen

I suppose weapons with stunted mobility or sheathing speed are annoying to wield in any irregular place other than flat arenas.

Slopes and ledges are only annoying if you don't pay attention to them, like doing some gap closing moves down the slope (SNS's advancing slash or GL's leaping upthrust) will result in your character initiating the slide which can mess up your combo if you weren't prepared.

But if you know you're on a slope it only benefits you, allowing to take advantage of slope specific moves. Same with ledges: when I play SNS the ledges are GODSEND. SNS allows you jump both DOWN the ledge and UP the ledge by doing advancing slash into the wall, the game basically gives you free mounting damage whenever you want. Hammer benefits greatly from ledges too, giving you some free head bonks without the need to constantly charge the uppercut

Ventidius

Arbiter
Recently got this and have been playing it quite a bit lately. It's definitely a fun, polished experience. I'm satisfied with a lot of the new mechanics like the doggo and the wirebugs as well, but I'm not really a big fan of the Rampage missions. To what extent would you guys say that they are skippable? I mean, I understand they grant you boosts, but is the difference - as the campaign progresses - significant enough that said boosts are a must?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You don't have to do rampages if you don't want to, apart from the 2 mandatory ones. Ramp up skills are nice but the benefits arent that big. It only takes a few rampages to get enough tickets for all your needs tho.

Perkel

Arcane
Recently got Samsung A52 phone and phonegrip for DS4 pad. Thanks to Moonlight app i can stream over internet whatever i want from my PC and on 4G+/workWifi latency is excellent. I even played Shitstiny 2 at 120hz in HDR on that phone in ultrawide 2400x1080 and i was shocked it worked.

I still can't believe that latency over 4G+ is that great and i can't really feel any real latency. Sometimes you have dropped frames for split second when you move with car or something but otherwise it works excellent.

Either way i went back and started to play 2.0 with it. Thanks to Ryujinx emu it runs at 50-60ish fps instead of measly 30ish fps like switch version and thanks to OLED panel it also looks much nicer.

Oh and it works around 8hours instead of 2 and half on switch since it is streaming instead of native play.

unknown.png

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Recently got this and have been playing it quite a bit lately. It's definitely a fun, polished experience. I'm satisfied with a lot of the new mechanics like the doggo and the wirebugs as well, but I'm not really a big fan of the Rampage missions. To what extent would you guys say that they are skippable? I mean, I understand they grant you boosts, but is the difference - as the campaign progresses - significant enough that said boosts are a must?
Rampage awards tickets which can be used to enchant your weapons. The boost is pretty significant and you can't really ignore it, but each successful Rampage mission gives you a shitload of tickets and you don't actually need many.

BUT! There's also the Apex monsters, which are basically deviants of regular monsters. There's six of them right now, and most of them are quite fun to fight, but with one caveat: you must defeat each Apex monster at least once before it will appear in a regular quest for you to hunt. So you'll still have to do a fair number of Rampage missions, unfortuately.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom