Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliances on the Cheap

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance; Jagged Alliance 2; Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games; SirTech

For those who have never played them, Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, and Jagged Alliance 2 are all on sale on GOG. In fact, they're up to 80% off. You can get all three titles for $5.47US. If you don't have them and love tactical CRPGs, they're some of the best ever made.

Probably the best $6 you'll spend today.

Last edited by a moderator:

nobre

Cipher
feelsgoodman.png
Mowing down redshirts in Alma right now
feelsgoodman.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I would pay real american dollars if they just remade the originals with new UI and graphics.
I just want the original without the awful day/night system. "Listen, we might have just killed 19 guys and badly wounded the last one, but its 6:00PM and I got to get my shut-eye. So let's pack up our bags, and leave in a way that guarantees one of us is going to die."

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's bin a while since I played JA. But I played it often over the years. First with version 1.13 patch. But there were
too many changes for me, so I went for the Vanilla 1.13 mod. I don't know when this was last updated.
But I liked to have fixes without changing the core game too much.

A horse of course

At first glance this might seem like a good deal, but there's a major downside in that you'd have to play the Jagged Alliance games.

ropetight

Savant
Have them all on GOG already.
Original series is masterpiece, and all remakes and sequels failed miserably.
It was simply problem of less talented people, who didn't understand what made originals great.

And streamlining.
Fucken streamlining.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
JA:BIDH (back in da hood).

Jagged Alliance - Against Sauron.
Jagged Alliance - A Fallout Situation
Jagged Alliance - The X-COM Files
Jagged Alliance - The Empire Strikes Again
Jagged Alliance - Take the Capital
Jagged Alliance - Mars Attacks
Jagged Alliance - BREACH Quintology
Jagged Alliance - Retaking Baldur's Gate
Jagged Alliance - Downfall of the Mushroom Kingdom
Jagged Alliance - We Don't Care-a-lot: Dimensional Nightmares
Jagged Alliance - No Remorse, No Regrets, No Promises
Jagged Alliance - Immortal Inconsistencies
etc etc ...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After all these decades, JA2 is still the best we can do?
Yes.
Not only developers are worse but thanks to advanced technology (game engines) any attempt at recreating some features from old games (or adding anything new) turns out to be either impossible or too troublesome, with too much workarounds and potential bugs infestation. Combined with talentless developers you get disappointing combination.

Lexx

Cipher
I would pay real american dollars if they just remade the originals with new UI and graphics.

Should do it like Diablo 2 Resurrected .. same old game, but with a new graphic and sound wrapper around it. It'd be the best approach, imo. Keep everything exactly as-is but give it a new paint. Everyone will be happy, except for a few snowflakes that nobody cares about.

After all these decades, JA2 is still the best we can do?
Yes.
Not only developers are worse but thanks to advanced technology (game engines) any attempt at recreating some features from old games (or adding anything new) turns out to be either impossible or too troublesome, with too much workarounds and potential bugs infestation. Combined with talentless developers you get disappointing combination.

Can you explain why it'd be too troublesome? Because one would THINK in THEORY it should be even easier these days than ever before to make something like Jagged Alliance from technical perspective. Devs back in the day had shitgines with far less colors available, hardware difficulties, with less people, so why is it that huge corporations worth tens of billions of dollars couldn't even do it as a hobby or a switch release in the cheapest way possible but still be on the same quality or better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom