Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

fork

Why? Millionaires are not less retarded than the general population.

Perkel

Arcane
CIG graphics lead wrote this today.

Gen12 renderer starting with 3.14, Vulcan coming shortly after (probably 3.15). Full benefits take more than just 3.14 and after they finish they will move to remove render thread and use N+ scaling for rendering

FPS improvements coming. Either way no one should expect more fps than 50-60 in cities until they resolve server issues.

Hey,

as of now we are already utilizing all cores. However, there are two threads (Main Thread and Render Thread) which have a very high utilization depending where you are in the game.
In draw call heavy scenes like Lorville, Newbab etc. the game is mostly bottlenecked by the RenderThread. This is quite a big dealbreaker at the moment and is the major reason why the game is so slow in big locations and why maxed out single thread performance is still so important for Star Citizen.
Gen12 along with Vulkan will improve this massively. The first step will be the new Gen12 renderer which will already improve performance by a big margin due to improved Render Thread performance.
Starting with 3.14 we will be slowly rolling out parts of gen12. However, you will see the big performance improvement only once everything is fully transitioned, specifically once we enable the gen12 scene rendering.

In parallel we are working on the vulkan backend which comes along quite nicely as well. It is to be expected that we can roll out vulkan shortly after the full Gen12 renderer is working.
Once that is done we will push into parallelizing the whole scene rendering even more and get rid of the entire Render Thread.
When this is done the rendering will be utilizing all available cores as much as it can and we should no longer be bottlenecked by the rendering.

Perkel

Arcane
Shouldn't fps be completely independent of anything going on server side?

In theory yes. In practice servers DO have huge impact on fps in a lot of games as servers themselves have their own FPS and when you have something like graphical stuff trying to render something that is yet to render on server you could easily see how it produces stalls and how servers FPS could impact client side fps.

Though reading what they wrote they seem to go into that direction. Either way once Vulcan releases that should alone improve frames for most of people who don't have top tier cpus.

Myobi

Liturgist
People going like “Oh they have to be part of the CiG PR team!”

...are you arguing that the dollar amounts that Roberts and team put against the respective stretch goals were entirely arbitrary and not reflective of the actual costs of those features?

The only purpose of a stretch goal is to raise more money

- https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1209438-Megathread-Star-Citizen/page628?p=53176623#post53176623

You guys fucking crazy. I would rather pay these fanatic cunts to keep their mouth shut about my project than having them going around the internet saying shit like this =/

Perkel

Arcane
If there was one thing to not criticize SC about it is their commitment to stretch-goals. They pretty much do everything in them and then some. Also it is not like they have new stretchgoals constantly. Their stretchgoal campaign ended at around $66M in half of 2014 or something like that.

In fact if they would ignore stretchgoals game would be long time ago finished. It is the stretch-goals that painted them into this creep.

Stuff like FPS, plentary landing etc were late stretchgoals from end of 2013 start of 2014.

Myobi

Liturgist
If there was one thing to not criticize SC about it is their commitment to stretch-goals. They pretty much do everything in them and then some. Also it is not like they have new stretchgoals constantly. Their stretchgoal campaign ended at around $66M in half of 2014 or something like that.

In fact if they would ignore stretchgoals game would be long time ago finished. It is the stretch-goals that painted them into this creep.

Stuff like FPS, plentary landing etc were late stretchgoals from end of 2013 start of 2014.

I wouldn't bet on it. I think the feature creep would have happened one way or another, it always does with Chris... remember Freelancer? More and more, bigger and better until the all the money goes puff!

He has no self-control, as long as people keep throwing him money, it won't stop...

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I wouldn't bet on it. I think the feature creep would have happened one way or another, it always does with Chris... remember Freelancer? More and more, bigger and better until the all the money goes puff!

He has no self-control, as long as people keep throwing him money, it won't stop...

Well something must have worked, because Freelancer was an excellent game that gave me many hours of fun.

I think that's the only reason why people have had faith in SC, because at the end of the day they remember having lots of fun in games he was involved in. Whether he was the one responsible for the goodness or not, he's the constant in a bunch of pretty good games down the years.

ADL

Prophet
Why should it stop? They're making money faster than they can spend it on development and each year raises more money than the last. As long as we get our quarterly deliverables, I'm happy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think they could theoretically keep going and end up making the mega game to end all mega games by accretion - except for the fact that what was once a shiny new game engine is now itself looking a bit long in the tooth.

They have to finish something in the not too distant future, otherwise this risks looking as ancient as Battlecruiser 3000 AD looked when it eventually came out :)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Freelancer was an excellent game because Microsoft took over, and put an actual adult in charge of development. If CR was left at the helm, we would either not see Freelancer at all or play some shitty Alpha 3.1415629331289407451092348457512039484574 version of it now

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Freelancer was an excellent game because Microsoft took over, and put an actual adult in charge of development. If CR was left at the helm, we would either not see Freelancer at all or play some shitty Alpha 3.1415629331289407451092348457512039484574 version of it now

But would we have had a Freelancer at all if it weren't for him? There might be an argument that, like George Lucas, he's a - well, "visionary" is certainly stretching it, but an initiater, an inspirer, an enthusiast, whatever - who needs to have people on board who can shape and top and tail what he does. But the stubborn fact remains that games he's been involved with in whatever capacity have been pretty good down the years, in an industry where it's so much easier to miss the target than hit it.

Myobi

Liturgist

Well something must have worked, because Freelancer was an excellent game that gave me many hours of fun.

I think that's the only reason why people have had faith in SC, because at the end of the day they remember having lots of fun in games he was involved in. Whether he was the one responsible for the goodness or not, he's the constant in a bunch of pretty good games down the years.

Yeah, Microsoft bought the project from Chris and started cutting off the feature creep :P

But would we have had a Freelancer at all if it weren't for him? There might be an argument that, like George Lucas, he's a - well, "visionary" is certainly stretching it, but an initiater, an inspirer, an enthusiast, whatever - who needs to have people on board who can shape and top and tail what he does. But the stubborn fact remains that games he's been involved with in whatever capacity have been pretty good down the years, in an industry where it's so much easier to miss the target than hit it.

Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but doesn't change the fact that the mother fucker has no self control :/

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Probably not. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but doesn't change the fact that the mother fucker has no self control :/

The problem with that is usually money. The thing is that money in case of CIG isn't an issue.

Myobi

Liturgist

The problem with that is usually money. The thing is that money in case of CIG isn't an issue.

True, but for how long will they be able to print money? It's been... what? A decade now? And its still what's basically a pre-alpha... Honestly, its fucking impressive how much money they keep making, I just find it hard to believe that will last forever.

Perkel

Arcane
True, but for how long will they be able to print money? It's been... what? A decade now? And its still what's basically a pre-alpha... Honestly, its fucking impressive how much money they keep making, I just find it hard to believe that will last forever.

Last year they literally broke their records and by a lot they pulled like $70M.

Since 2018 when Persistant Universe launched they are basically breaking their records year on year.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Money isn't the only issue. As someone else mentioned, the game will look like shit compared to modern games by the time they finish it. In which case Chris will probably decide to switch engines and start over right before launch.

There is such a thing as taking too long.

Myobi

Liturgist

Last year they literally broke their records and by a lot they pulled like $70M.

Since 2018 when Persistant Universe launched they are basically breaking their records year on year.

Oh, I'm aware, but that doesn't really answer my question. It has been around 10 years of development, the game is still in a pre-alpha phase, how long does it still need, and how long will they keep breaking those records? :/

Perkel

Arcane
Oh, I'm aware, but that doesn't really answer my question. It has been around 10 years of development, the game is still in a pre-alpha phase, how long does it still need, and how long will they keep breaking those records? :/

The answer was there. Since 2018 you have effectively a game. The whole "released" thing got muddy since introduction of early access. So you have people treating it as buggy game and just playing it.

Myobi

Liturgist

The answer was there. Since 2018 you have effectively a game. The whole "released" thing got muddy since introduction of early access. So you have people treating it as buggy game and just playing it.

Isn’t it irrelevant what we call it? A game, a project, an early access, a buggy ass shitshow, the point is, the very foundations of it are still missing 10 year into development, meanwhile I’m reading about bed sheets physics and NPC taking breaks to take a shit, the Jesus meshing tech still nowhere to be seen, the 1 out of 100 solar systems still incomplete, from what I gather most part of the game loops still haven’t been implemented… plus, first chapter of the single player campaign that was supposed to be released in… 2014? 2016? Also, nothing.

I get it, mother fuckers be swimming in more and more cash every year, I just find it really hard to believe won’t change in the future if shit doesn’t start moving forward a little bit faster =/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom