Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Yeah, 2022 was a given.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's not the same bag of potatoes

Yep. Not the same bag of potatoes

• RtWP + TB with a lot of options to speed up animations VS strict TB
  • Over 1000 spells VS about 60
  • 20 levels of spells, feats, skills, kineticist powers, etc + 10 mythic paths which allow you to become a Lich, a demon and etc VS only 10 levels of abilities to implement
  • Separated modes, like the HoMM3 style crusade VS one or two gimmicky minigames
  • The possibility to use large scale spells during the HoMM3 style crusade VS nothing
  • About 10 companions VS about 6 companions
  • Mounted combat VS only on feet combat

Russians are making a much bigger and better "bag of potatoes"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not the same bag of potatoes

Yep. Not the same bag of potatoes

• RtWP + TB with a lot of options to speed up animations VS strict TB
  • Over 1000 spells VS about 60
  • 20 levels of spells, feats, skills, kineticist powers, etc + 10 mythic paths which allow you to become a Lich, a demon and etc VS only 10 levels of abilities to implement
  • Separated modes, like the HoMM3 style crusade VS one or two gimmicky minigames
  • The possibility to use large scale spells during the HoMM3 style crusade VS nothing
  • About 10 companions VS about 6 companions
  • Mounted combat VS only on feet combat

Russians are making a much bigger and better "bag of potatoes"
Pre existing module vs something that has to be made up. That makes a non trivial difference.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also implementing the entirety of the PHB and all the monsters they are going to use. Owlcat have the advantage of using the same base classes and spells from Kingmaker, only adding a few new subclasses which I'd imagine is faster and easier than entirely new classes which don't already have analogues somehow. The graphics Larian make are also more expensive and time consuming.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
base classes and spells from Kingmaker,

They are implementing a lot of new classes and races. You can for example be a Kitsune Winter witch on wotr. And some classes like Arcanist aren't that easy to implement, I mean, they don't require complete "alien" mechanics like Kineticist however, having a class which prepare spells like an wizard and casts like an sorcerer + arcane exploits would't be trivial. This not mentioning the stuff which comes from mythic path.

Liches for ex, would lose party members and be able to replace companions with reanimated bosses. Can you imagine how much dialog they would need to write and mechanics to implement only for the Lich mythic path? This not mentioning spells like Negative Eruption which are exclusive to the Lich and there are people saying that Azatas gains a dragon companion, Demons gains a lot of nasty shapeshift spells. One of the characters that I plan to make is a melee wizard specialized on alteration which fights on demoniac form. Just imagine a high level wizard turned into a Balor buffed by dozens of alteration spells and able to "devour" enemies...

I know that you prefer lower level games, but I strongly believe that Solasta will offer a better lv 1~10 adventure and that KoTC2 has potential to be my favorite turn based D&D adaptation surpassing Dark Sun : Wake of The Ravager. So far my greatest problem with BG3 is that the story is too epic for a low level campaign and that the combat is a slog. I wasted 1h and 13 minutes to kill a bunch of goblins. The animations are very slow and hp values extremely high.

Once modders remove the nerfs which Larian will gonna make, speed up animation and etc, BG3 will gonna be decent. But still inferior than other CRPG's.

Pre existing module vs something that has to be made up. That makes a non trivial difference.

IMO the biggest difference is that the models and animations of BG3 are extremely well made.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Mmm, writing dialogue is faster than coding. Even if WotR features an all-new class with all-new mechanics and spells (which I don't think is the case), that's 1 class. Compared to 11 for BG3. Larian have to create ALL combat content from scratch, and most of the assets for the environment. They are only reusing the engine, which is pretty good btw, Owlcat are reusing everything they can because it's the same system with the same classes and the same monsters. Not to mention how unbalanced WotR is going to be at launch and probably forever.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IMO the biggest difference is that the models and animations of BG3 are extremely well made.
Which will account merely for Herr Squat and Monsieur Diddly if the gameplay sucks.
Ultimately I think WoTR could potentially be Codex GoTY while BG3 will end up being a title that everyone will spend time arguing about more than anything else.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's D&D 5E with modding potential. The only way they can fuck it up is if the encounter design is poor. WotR has the potential to be fucked up in a myriad of ways because Pathfinder 1E is a bloated mess, and the mythic abilities don't fill me with confidence.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not to mention how unbalanced WotR is going to be at launch and probably forever.

Fun >>>> Balance. I don't know any DM which would allow PC's to reanimate bosses to serve him, even in a high level abyssal campaign.... However, the imbalance between casters and martials on high level would't be a problem because WoTR will give high level "spells" to everyone. Angels for example gain Sun Form "For the next number of rounds equal to your caster level, you become incorporeal and gain the ability to shoot rays of holy fire as a swift action, dealing 1d6 damage per caster level". Even lower level mythic stuff are very powerful. For example, demons has the 3rd tier power Telekinetic Strike " damages the enemy for 1d6 damage per caster level. The target then makes a Fortitude save. If it is failed, the target becomes prone and you either push or pull it with a Combat Maneuver, using your caster level in place of BAB and casting stat in place of Strength." which is IMO better than a lot of tier 6 spells.

If you are allergic to epicness, WoTR is definitively not a game for you.

If I need to rate an RPG according to the "epicness", where lv 0 is playing as a medieval lv 0 peasant in a no magic world, with zero conflict in his life, the most mundane thing ever and 10 as playing as a Mystara Immortal(probably the most epic adventure which you can have with D&D ruleset) I would rate in therms of epicness :
  • PF:WoTR = 9
  • NWN2: MoTB, NWN1: Hotu and BG2:ToB = 8
  • KoTC 2 = 7
  • BG2:SoA = 6
  • Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager = 5.5
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands = 4
  • Solasta = 4
  • BG3 = 8 In story and 3 in gameplay *
  • Your homebrew "eunuch paladin" setting if adapted into a CRPG = 1.5

This doesn't means the overall game quality. I like high level stuff but would prefer to play Shattered Lands over Throne of Bhaal. Despite the lv cap of SL being 9 and ToB allowing you to reach 31 as a magician. I an just measuring how "epic" things are. BG3 on story is extremely epic. The game starts with a mindflayer spelljammer ship fighting hordes of dragons and you can face archdruids, explore the underdark, meet a wizard with a Netherese "magical nuke" artifact and etc on ch 1. On gameplay, in other hands, the game is pretty much low level. And what is the problem? Some people prefer more epic adventures and some prefer less epic adventures. Having the game so inconsistent on lore and on gameplay is a good way to be hated by both type of players. Players who like high level stuff will hate playing as a lv 4 and players who like low level stuff will hate having to deal with Netherese magical nukes on ch 1. Imagine if WoTR din't had abyssal invasion and was all about killing mundane bandits as a Lich, would't make any sense.

"but why solasta is bellow Dark Sun Shattered Lands if has a lv cap above?" Lv cap is not the unique thing which I an using. Dark Sun : Shattered Lands starts with you fighting your way out of a gladiatorial slave pit and the supernatural on SL is much more powerful than on Solasta. Everyone has psionics on SL.

hell bovine

Arcane
Ultimately I think WoTR could potentially be Codex GoTY while BG3 will end up being a title that everyone will spend time arguing about more than anything else.
Eh, I'd like that, but from what I've seen enemy ai in WotR isn't much improved from Kingmaker. Epic combat with stupid enemies is how I remember Throne of Bhaal ended up, and it was terrible.

Reinhardt

Arcane
YOU CAN BE LICH! AND SUCCUBUS HAREM! If it's not more epic than not being able to become lich and have succubus harem then i don't know what is.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
The GOAT RPG will release in 2022, boomerfags blinded by nostalgia will be eternally buttblasted by the glory that is BG3. Never doubt Swen.

58m7wc.jpg

Reminder everyone in this thread bought an early access game for 60 bucks and then Larian proceeded to brag about how that happened in an article immediately after about the money printing machine known as Divinity: Original Faerun Sin

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Same, but without a hint of irony.
Implying that what I posted was irony...

Imagine how many tears will flow on the codex when this master piece will release. You can't stop Swen codex, I REPEAT YOU CAN NOT STOP SWEN!!!!

images

I will shower in Ontopoly's tears

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • PF:WoTR = 9
  • NWN2: MoTB, NWN1: Hotu and BG2:ToB = 8
You're gonna have to explain this one to me. What makes WoTR more epic than all the god fightan dnd? Aren't you still fighting gods and demons in WoTR?

You are becoming godlike far before the end game. For example, Liches can grant spells into the undeads which their animate like a deity grant to his followers. Also, you don't fight Gods on Pathfinder because Paizo decided to not give STATS to then. Which is the correct approach. On 2E, they only gave status to a deity avatars and demigods. And avatar's deity are like ludicrous high level.

Fighting a demon lord well "translated" into game mechanics is much more epic than fighting "pseudo deities".

If it's not more epic than not being able to become lich and have succubus harem then i don't know what is.

Playing as a Immortal on Mystara and creating your own race of succubus and liches to serve you is...

PS : Lich is the second most popular mythic path on WoTR.

God bless them.

Nope. they could just have removed all casters. I say it non ironically.

modernfags will love BG3.

Fixed for you

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, anything that makes Meredoth upset is a good decision on Larian's part.

Please. Call me Meredoth. But yes, you who thinks that 8d6 damage for a 3rd tier spell in a game where low CR creatures can have 3 digit hp is "op" probably loves the lackluster casting of all larian games...

they could just have removed all casters
And nothing of value would be lost.

Yep. Larian should let modders implement good casting mechanics on BG3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom