Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminder that this is still a thing:

This is the reason I fucking hate all that talk about "muh bugs", drowning out everything else. Fuck bugs. This is way, WAY more serious problem. Compared to shit like this bugs are a fucking joke.

Jesus Christ. So this mission is so scripted, you always win it, even if you don't fire a single bullet?

It's kinda bullshit though, he's playing on the easiest difficulty. You can see his life going down as he gets hit. When the game came out, probably because of my potato rig, I had trouble with that sequence because the pistol didn't load and I couldn't shoot back and, on max diff, they kill you in seconds. The solution to get past was do what that guy did - drop difficulty to journo mode so you can get shot at for days without dying.

All you need to do, on any difficulty, in all the driving+shooting missions, is not aim / look at the enemies. Stare at the ground.

KyWdKgON7CWJdDIVHlbjYD9TkYDJD-4zKCrPeRa2wVZHFjNQSa_EFtLwsmCBjCwS9Rb7cn1r

Wesp5

Arcane
All you need to do, on any difficulty, in all the driving+shooting missions, is not aim / look at the enemies. Stare at the ground.

So what's so special about that? Besides that this one is some kind of intro-tutorial-cutscene-mission and in which game is such a thing not heavily scripted, I can't remember the times I just crouched in a mine-car or other vehicle on rails and survived without shooting back...

Zer0wing

Cipher
So, technically, one could say Cyberpunk has been in "some capacity" worked on for 9 years, but in reality, the actual game that was shipped was really only in development for 4 years.
Is it really needed to have a big pre-production team to work on the game, especially with the dungeon master Mike Pondsmith himself onboard? And signing up Big Chungus Reeves on role for a cyberpunk disneyland title is a given, the pre-production team should've been ready exactly these 4 years ago, with a script ready. For tarnishing the company's reputation among both goymers and the inside staff, Adam Badowski truly needs to be fined with three hundred bucks instead of gorillion dollars upbonus and receive public fisting.
I'm no Konrad but would've seen this if were on his place.

Gargaune

Magister
Jesus Christ. So this mission is so scripted, you always win it, even if you don't fire a single bullet?
No, no, you don't get it, that's the pacifist option! When you refuse to shoot him, the enemy driver realises the error of his ways his overwhelming guilt drives him right into a wall! Choice and consequence, ch000000m!

Zer0wing

Cipher
So what's so special about that? Besides that this one is some kind of intro-tutorial-cutscene-mission and in which game is such a thing not heavily scripted, I can't remember the times I just crouched in a mine-car or other vehicle on rails and survived without shooting back...
It's a scripted event in a proclaimed by the masses (but not the devs lol) RPG title where the player is welded on a car with a gun to pop some moles. So it's like the infamous Kowadooty moment in Fallout 4 that everyone sane in their minds hated. Neither should this game get a free pass. Scripted cheap thrill rides are cancer. The tutorial event is special because its the shortest one and like bullet in the head, the van goes off rails too quickly on its own even though in these games the ride is usually cycled in a loop. It teaches the player a valuable lesson about today's game designers. In fact, I started a fresh save today on hardedst difficulty and latest patch and guess what, survived with a couple of hungryhungry hypos I saw exactly this, a van full of scavengers says "FUCK IT" and kills itself for no reason. Even though in 48 minute demo it was presented and looked like a random encounter with AI taking the role of a driver instead of a player, a reversed certified rockstar games car chase scenario.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Reminder that this is still a thing:

This is the reason I fucking hate all that talk about "muh bugs", drowning out everything else. Fuck bugs. This is way, WAY more serious problem. Compared to shit like this bugs are a fucking joke.

It's kinda bullshit though, he's playing on the easiest difficulty. You can see his life going down as he gets hit. When the game came out, probably because of my potato rig, I had trouble with that sequence because the pistol didn't load and I couldn't shoot back and, on max diff, they kill you in seconds. The solution to get past was do what that guy did - drop difficulty to journo mode so you can get shot at for days without dying.

KyWdKgON7CWJdDIVHlbjYD9TkYDJD-4zKCrPeRa2wVZHFjNQSa_EFtLwsmCBjCwS9Rb7cn1r

FYUHMQ6.png

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Scripted sequences like that are either lame or exciting purely depending on how into the story and your character you are. I didn't mind them at all, because I was quite into "being V."

Some other games, with similar sequences, I've hated them because I felt detached (IOW, I felt like "me sitting in a chair playing a lame-ass videogame, wondering what went wrong with my life").

SoupNazi

You don't get to duck. You're still sticking out of your car like a idiot, just aiming at the ground. The "special" part is that it's so heavily scripted that they only shoot back when you're trying to shoot back. Otherwise they intentionally miss you.

Don't get me wrong I actually admit that I like the game unlike most of the edgy kids here who have 100 hours on it but claim they'd never pay for it, but it does have its (often hilarious, sometimes frustrating/disappointing) flaws.

Wesp5

Arcane
Scripted sequences like that are either lame or exciting purely depending on how into the story and your character you are. I didn't mind them at all, because I was quite into "being V."

Some other games, with similar sequences, I've hated them because I felt detached (IOW, I felt like "me sitting in a chair playing a lame-ass videogame, wondering what went wrong with my life").

Exactly! A lot of games have intro sequences that you can't change. I don't remember to not cause the cascade in Half-Life or not being shot in FO: Las Vegas. And the later is a known favourite here, no?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is it really needed to have a big pre-production team to work on the game, especially with the dungeon master Mike Pondsmith himself onboard?
I don't know how big the preproduction team was, my guess would be 10-15 people at most, establishing the vision and core design. Point is, everything done prior to 2016 was thrown out after the directors changed. Stepien left for Blizzard, Kanik was demoted and Badowski decided to direct it himself.

Personally though, I enjoyed C77 a ton (with some caveats, there is definitely stuff to improve), and who knows how it would look if those changes didn't happen..maybe it would not have shipped at all, or even worse..or better (unlikely).

It is quite easy to point at some scripted thing in Cyberpunk and go "AHA!!!" but..yeah, shit is scripted. If I am not trying to intentionally break the game and just play it, it works well enough for the most part.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is quite easy to point at some scripted thing in Cyberpunk and go "AHA!!!" but..yeah, shit is scripted. If I am not trying to intentionally break the game and just play it, it works well enough for the most part.
Did you just run through the MQ or did you try to poke the game in various side quest and activities?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Did you just run through the MQ or did you try to poke the game in various side quest and activities?
I did everything there was to do incl. the filler trash - every mainjob, sidejob, gig, ncpd call, purchased every car. I loved the city and its atmosphere as well as the gunplay and didn't want to leave it until there was nothing else to do.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Honestly the map looks so nice that they really just need to focus a little bit on city liveliness and it can carry.
If the game remained how it is and they actually bothered placing enough interesting stuff on hard to reach places so you had to Parkour to find that stuff, honestly, I couldnt give a fuck to V whining or Keanu Reeves being Keanu Reeves, the only thing I didnt grow tired off was using the leg implants jumping around and seeing the vistas, what is ironic is that their best asset, the city, they decided to go full Ubisoft with, what a pity. Some Mirror's Edge, Cyberbug edition would be interesting.

Gargaune

Magister
If the game remained how it is and they actually bothered placing enough interesting stuff on hard to reach places so you had to Parkour to find that stuff, honestly, I couldnt give a fuck to V whining or Keanu Reeves being Keanu Reeves, the only thing I didnt grow tired off was using the leg implants jumping around and seeing the vistas, what is ironic is that their best asset, the city, they decided to go full Ubisoft with, what a pity. Some Mirror's Edge, Cyberbug edition would be interesting.
I still say their best chance at clawing back some street cred with Cyberpunk 2077 at this point is a megadungeon expansion. Hit up one of those megabuildings, cram a proper branching plot into it, design some proper levels with actual breathing room for alternate routes, implement some meaningful stat checks and interesting loot etc. Hell, they could even dump V and have us roll a new bellend to more properly control for stat progression, but they wouldn't, it's not CDPR's MO.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
. I don't remember to not cause the cascade in Half-Life
When I was very young (like 4-5 years old) and playing Half-Life 1, I couldn't figure out how to do the cascade. I didn't know English nor what to do. I spent weeks hanging around Black Mesa without causing the cascade. I played it like an adventure game, clicking everywhere and trying to talk to everyone.

theLorry

Educated
Has anyone tried LOW-FI, and if so, how does it visually feel in terms of exploring a cyberpunk world compared to CP77? I get that direct comparisons between a VR game made by one guy and a conventional game with the second highest budget in history may be difficult, but both games look cool (and I want to play them for their visuals alone).

LOW-FI is an unapologetic Bladerunner rip-off VR game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the game remained how it is and they actually bothered placing enough interesting stuff on hard to reach places
For interesting stuff to be actually interesting, CDPR would need to balance their open world shooter. Good luck with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom