Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is D&D 5th Edition shit?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Those who are worried about gods being vulnerable to normal weapons,

better not read the New Testament

Typical play the first hour and think you know the whole game.

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
5th is an okay edition. Solid core rules, bad implementation, especially chargen. Takes too long and is too much on the "narrative rpg" side.

Otherwise it has some good thing going. We're using it for the Ravaged Marches campaign on the 'Dex (see thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/some-codexers-want-to-play-d-d-dm-looking-for-players.136120/ if you want to come, see or join). I hope some day for a proper rejuggling of the rules with a strong 5h basic compendium, maybe even a 3rd party.

Alex

Arcane
5th is an okay edition. Solid core rules, bad implementation, especially chargen. Takes too long and is too much on the "narrative rpg" side.

Otherwise it has some good thing going. We're using it for the Ravaged Marches campaign on the 'Dex (see thread https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/some-codexers-want-to-play-d-d-dm-looking-for-players.136120/ if you want to come, see or join). I hope some day for a proper rejuggling of the rules with a strong 5h basic compendium, maybe even a 3rd party.

My main complaint about 5th edition is that the spell concentration duration makes a whole lot of spells that were previously rather useful and interesting useless or only useful in very specific situations. Furthermore, some spells like hold person are so nerfed as to be completely useless as well.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

My main complaint about 5th edition is that the spell concentration duration makes a whole lot of spells that were previously rather useful and interesting useless or only useful in very specific situations. Furthermore, some spells like hold person are so nerfed as to be completely useless as well.
Hold in particular has been nerfed to the ground yes. Concentration is a weird idea especially since some spell-like effect doesn't require it (some cleric Channel Divinity for example, or some spells like Aid or Spiritual Weapon). In other words, like many concept in 5th, they double-down on their own rules. Like if you have Concentration to simplify how to handle multiple-effect, but then introduce a bunch of exceptions... you are back to 2nd ed. This is all over 5th IMO. This is why I say that the core rules are cool (proficiency, usage dice for some class like bards and battlemaster, advantage/disadvantage, concentration itself, etc.), but their implementation is wrong.

ElizabetAvej

Barely Literate
I haven't played D&D Guide in 15 years since I've been playing primarily non-d20 homebrew games. The last iteration of D&D I played was 3.5, but I've read 5e and watched live streams of others playing. That doesn't give one the same perspective as playing it, though. There are many reasons it is terrible for this, but the one nobody has pointed out in this thread yet is that it carries on the tradition starting with 3rd edition D&D of setting the GM up as a necessary evil. They are treated as the bad guy, someone the players need to be protected from the loving embrace of the rules. Someone that you need, but that nobody wants to be.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh... we had that issue in od&d back in the says. Ifs group dependent. Some people are pussy cucks with hurt feelings and others are true gamers that breathe the challenge of perma-death.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It is. At the very least it's worse than 3.5, with all the dumbed down mechanics. Spells do not get stronger as you level up, advantage/disadvantage crap is just too binary with not enough granularity, leveling a character several times and not getting an attack bonus increase is just plain retarded.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I honestly haven't looked at a side by side by side of JUST the D&D editions for compare/contrast. The clone wars of every edition and game is a nighmare mess. They are still churning out reenvisioned and retroclone games to this day. Drivethru rpg, KS, and FREEBIES abound. I liked a lot of 1e/2e mechanics and some 3e but beyond that was a nightmare. Bloat started in most editions. Players have cone to hate PD (player death) and GM/DMs have come to fear losing players by fear of TPK or not allowing players "freedom" beyond the rules.

I really thought 3e/3.5 was bloat city but 5e is surpassing it rapidly. Its fucking crazy. Now get your custom dice, combat screen, player sheets, dm guide, player guide, battlemaps, figurines, VRT, etc in addition to the core module you are playing (say 5e Mad Mage of Undermountain). This is of course in addition to core rules and guides and shit for no world settings. I think I read some settings even have their own magazines (maybe good.... i mean articles were written in mags of old and I recall 3e had Greyhawk zines).

Its a collector's nightmare in a way. Just PDFing is like a trip into the infinite levels of the abyss.

Larianshill

Arbiter
really thought 3e/3.5 was bloat city
Yes, it was quite ridic...

but 5e is surpassing it rapidly.
What?

Now get your custom dice, combat screen, player sheets, dm guide, player guide, battlemaps, figurines, VRT, etc in addition to the core module you are playing
None of those are bloat, because none of those are content. Out of actual content we have the core three books as in every edition (PHB, DMG, MM). Then there are books with additional monsters - Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen Tome Foes. Those are only useful to the DM. If you're a player, you really only get content from Sword Coast's Adventurer Guide, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and maybe Eberron Rising from the Last War. Those are all the player-oriented books they released in the 7 years of the edition's existence. That's not much, that's nothing.

I think I read some settings even have their own magazines
I've heard that Eberron maybe has something along of those lines, but that's purely because Wizards won't release good setting books like they used to back in the day. Now lore and information about the settings has to be revealed in tweets, and forum posts.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah! I'm getting settings and third party dev and shit mixed up with actual WOTC core.

Well, it could still happen before 6e is introduced (which WILL probably happen).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom