Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series released on PC

A horse of course

The elf had nice T & A (until you start putting better gear on her) :decline:

Some of the other models were noice too

BmDUSAM.jpg
1xzTtUn.jpg
Lkp5HPq.jpg
gaW9X2j.jpg

Do Fallout 1 and 2 next. Charge 40 bucks for both of them using fan created mods and cash it out on steam as Fallout 1 and 2 Enhanced Editions separately. Oh and get rid of the child killing. And most of the NPC dialogue. While we're at it, move some towns around, and don't forget to include a completely subtle unskippable logo-like warning every time the player starts up the game about how Fallout 1 and 2 was a product of it's own time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have Interplay forgotten the password to their YouTube account or what?

Experience a classic Dungeons & Dragons action role-playing game, as Interplay Entertainment (IPLY) and Wizards of the Coast rerelease the iconic action-RPG Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance on Xbox X|S, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation consoles with enhanced graphics; up to 4k on Xbox, PS4 Pro and above.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I'm ashamed to admit I will buy this. I played this game and the sequel so many times on the xbox. I played through both games as every character (except the secret ones cause they were boring.)

Ebonsword

Arcane
I still have both Dark Alliance games (as well as the lesser known Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes). I also have an original Xbox to play them on. So, no need for me to pay $30 for this.

I would consider it if it was $20 for both Dark Alliance games, though.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I loved this game as a kid and played it with my older sister for ages so I am really happy to see a rerelease but... 30 bucks haha wow. Like at least put DA2 in it too for that price what the fuck :?

laclongquan

Arcane
Have Interplay forgotten the password to their YouTube account or what?

But it's pretty cool that this game will finally be available on PC IMO. It's a piece of Baldur's Gate history that many people have never had a chance to check out.

I think Interplay went down before Youtube marketing is a thing. It went into real vogue in 2010s.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does this game have any redeeming qualities?
I played it many years ago. It was fun couch co-op with a friend, even though we didn't understand the rules. I doubt it's worth anything as a single player experience, especially if you have access to the GB/IE games.

I have seen loads of people on other forums celebrating this announcement like the return of an all-times classic and for the life of me I can't even begin to understand way. I can only attempt to explain it with blind nostalgia.

It's literally the dullest combat system ever. One click to attack with the current weapon. Period. Imagine Diablo (which in itself is already far enough from my ideal of engaging gameplay) but without any of the qualities or skill variety that made it a classic of the h0n slash genre on PC.
You could literally fish any random, shitty, two-pennies Diablo clone currently available on Steam and there would be a good 95% chance you randomly picked something that is consistently better under any metric.

Apparently it was considered some sort of technical showcase at the time it was released on PS2, but these days are long gone and it looks like crap by today's standards. It can't even boast one of these "ageless" charming art styles and it fact it shows every single day of its age.

Take something like Hades and you'll get a game that does every gameplay loop Dark Alliance tried to to, but significantly better.
And I wasn't even among the people who were particularly in love with the Supergiant title.

P.S. Please, note that I'm not even relying on my memories to give you the summary. The game is trivially easy to emulate on PCSX2 emulator, so I even have it one click away on this very PC right now.

A horse of course

I have seen loads of people on other forums celebrating this announcement like the return of an all-times classic and for the life of me I can't even begin to understand way. I can only attempt to explain it with blind nostalgia.

It's literally the dullest combat system ever. One click to attack with the current weapon. Period. Imagine Diablo (which in itself is already far enough from my ideal of engaging gameplay) but without any of the qualities or skill variety that made it a classic of the h0n slash genre on PC.
You could literally fish any random, shitty, two-pennies Diablo clone currently available on Steam and there would be a good 95% chance you randomly picked something that is consistently better under any metric.

Apparently it was considered some sort of technical showcase at the time it was released on PS2, but these days are long gone and it looks like crap by today's standards. It can't even boast one of these "ageless" charming art styles and it fact it shows every single day of its age.

Take something like Hades and you'll get a game that does every gameplay loop Dark Alliance tried to to, but significantly better.
And I wasn't even among the people who were particularly in love with the Supergiant title.

P.S. Please, note that I'm not even relying on my memories to give you the summary. The game is trivially easy to emulate on PCSX2 emulator, so I even have it one click away on this very PC right now.

I agree, I played it for the first thyme a year or so back on pcsx2 (you can check the screenshot thread for my EDSCLUSIVE review) and it just seemed like a really slow Diablo. Nice water physics though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I loved this game as a kid and played it with my older sister for ages so I am really happy to see a rerelease but... 30 bucks haha wow. Like at least put DA2 in it too for that price what the fuck :?
I played this one, the second one and both Norrath games in local co-op and had a blast. This one in two player local, and the other three in four player local. Had they included BG:DA2 and this in one package, it would still have been overpriced at $30, but I would have bought it.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
This games got a beholder. Not a nameless trash mob either. An actual character villian voiced by Tony Jay. That's something.

newtmonkey

Arcane
He is literally a trash encounter in the actual game though, all he's got is a cool voice. When you fight him, you sit there and slash at him (or shoot arrows) and quaff potions and that's the encounter. It's sub-Diablo level "action" combat.

I enjoyed playing through Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance back in the day on my PS2. But if this game is not popamole garbage, I dunno what is. It even fails as an action game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I believe this game will have online co-op, and since you can't really do that on PCSX2 without screenshare that's a pretty big deal.

Also this game (and Champions of Norrath) run like ass on PCSX2. So if this runs at a perfect 60 widescreen charging a little more upfront makes sense to me. I don't think the game is necessarily good mind, but if they port all of these games made in the same engine that'd be good just so that people can play it again.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think the game is necessarily good mind, but if they port all of these games made in the same engine that'd be good just so that people can play it again.
Can't wait to play Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and The Bard's Tale!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom