Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FLARE - Free/Libre Action Roleplaying Engine

Revenant

https://flarerpg.org

I came upon this open source Diablo clone while looking for an RPG that would run natively on an ARM device. The project seems to be active. There isn't much content in the game as of this moment, however, this game is perfect when you have a few minutes to kill and don't want to engage in something more time-demanding.

Highlights: Arcanum style sprites, pretty atmospheric music, simple yet addictive character system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just a diablo clone though, you just run around and kill things. Nothing interesting. I wish he had actually made cRPG, because the graphici is really atmospheric.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
aur/flare-rpg 0.17.1-1 (39)
open source action roleplaying game
I suppose there's no harm in giving it a try.

That reminds me, I also stumbled upon another FOSS diablo clone called "Holy Spirit." I haven't been able to get it to build and run though.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lechemindeladam/
For the record, I've long forgotten what I was doing when I stumbled upon it.

EDIT: I wonder how the "freedroid" diablo clone is coming along...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Wow, it looks quite pretty. Looks better than Chaos Chronicles to be honest.

Pisses me off how they could have made an amazing turnbased, party based crpg using this awesome engine+graphics. Instead they went with popamole diablo like shit. :(

Revenant

aur/flare-rpg 0.17.1-1 (39)
open source action roleplaying game
:bro:

It's just a diablo clone though, you just run around and kill things. Nothing interesting. I wish he had actually made cRPG, because the graphici is really atmospheric.
Yes, as an RPG per se FLARE doesn't look like anything special, however for an open source game not to look like shit is already an achievement.

Revenant

Pisses me off how they could have made an amazing turnbased, party based crpg using this awesome engine+graphics. Instead they went with popamole diablo like shit. :(
Both the engine and game content are open, so feel free to fork the project and create your own Arcanum 2 ;)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Both the engine and game content are open, so feel free to fork the project and create your own Arcanum 2 ;)

If I knew the first thing about programming, I would already have made the worlds bestest crpg, and be wallowing in millions of dollars with my bitches.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
They announced they were going to make a new, more well thought out pitch in the future. They are gonna keep trying until they hit 1 million.

Hard to say no to free money, not to mention the amount of money they can potentially make from sales. And then kickstart again for a sequel.

Ofcourse, first they shall have to deal with a certain Mr Cleveland Mark Blakemore on their comments page...:lol:

TBeholder

Novice
Now it's 1.11.
But yeah, it's kind of fun and even moddable (people also actually made extra resources for the basic game), but the capabilities are plain. And it's a tri-stat, too. AFAIK Polymorphable was the only non-trivial thing built on this engine.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Flare is a free, open source, 2D action RPG licensed under the GPL3 license. Its gameplay can be likened to the games in the Diablo series.

0043.jpg

1.jpg

Someone should mod it to have turn-based combat, Deadfire style.

Last edited:
chose a fat white pedo dude as my avatar

wasd movement a bit of a shock to the system but i'm coping

playing as a mage

found the mines for the first quest; going to have some fried chicken and some weed before venturing forth

seems OK for the price (free)

Aemar

Arcane
Surprisingly not that bad for what it is. Played as a melee warrior. Curious to know how long is this game, as I've only went up a level, but that required quite a bit of grinding.

Last update happened two years ago btw.

Melcar

Arcane
Oh so it's a full game now? Back when I tried it it was mostly a tech demo engine with a basic level to show off gameplay.

laclongquan

Arcane
Chasing after the tiny figure on the screen.

In the old day we literally chased after the pixelated blocks.

In the glorious new day we set the game to maximized distance on our 55' TV, just so we can turn the figure into tiny pixel blob and chased after it.

What's the fuck wrong with these people? Just because you have young vision of 20/20 doesnt mean you should abuse it.

index.php

Arcane
Flare 1.12
Flare 1.12 is now available for download. In the two years since version 1.11, there have been many improvements to both the engine and the Empyrean campaign.

Interface improvements

The HP and MP bars have gotten a visual refresh. The goal was to make them easier to read when they are close to being empty. The HP bar is also now a more traditional red color instead of a red-to-green gradient.

The mini map has also gotten some new features. There is now a button placed below the map that allows easy access to the pause/configuration menu. In addition, various objects are now indicated with different colors on the map:

• Red = alerted enemies
  • Yellow = player allies
  • Green = NPCs
  • Blue = map transitions
Inventory and action bar tooltips have had some improvements as well. Comparison tooltips are now displayed for items, which show the currently equipped items for a given slot. Useful for deciding which gear to use. But some players might find it a bit cluttered, so there is an option to disable these tooltips in the Interface configuration page.

While on the topic of item tooltips, a few things have been tweaked. If an item is part of a set, we now highlight which set bonuses are active based on the number of equipped set items. Also, the buy and sell prices now use the currency item’s color to make them stand out more.

Action bar tooltips now display more information about powers, such as the power description and MP cost.

New configuration options
In the Video section of the Configuration page, there are two new options: Maximum Render Size and Frame Limit.

The Maximum Render Size is the vertical resolution of the game’s drawing surface. With the addition of this option, we’ve increased the default maximum render size for the Empyrean Campaign to 768 pixels. If you find this to make things too “small”, consider decreasing this setting to the previous default of 600.

The Frame Limit controls the maximum FPS that the game will run at. Lowering it to 30 from the default of 60 can help get a more consistent experience on very slow systems (or save battery life). Conversely, increasing it can provide a smoother experience for players with high refresh rate monitors.

The Input section of the Configuration page now includes options for touch controls. These options allow enabling touch controls on non-Android devices, as well as changing the scale of the on-screen gamepad.

Expanded alchemy

Version 1.12 of the Empyrean campaign sees the addition of a new alchemy ingredient: Mushrooms. With this ingredient, four new potion recipes have been added. Drop rates for alchemy resources have been slightly decreased, but players should still have no problem finding what they need. Lastly, Florin in Perdition Harbor now gives a quest to introduce the alchemy system to new players.

Map and quest redesigns
There were a handful of maps in the Empyrean campaign that tried to trap the player in a specific area as part of their related quest: the Family Crypt, the Nazia Mines, and the Torture Chambers. Yet there was always the chance the player could use a Perdition Scroll, so we had to resort to resetting the quest when the player re-entered the map. So we decided to ditch the idea of trapping the player and redesigned the affected maps to allow free travel.

It’s also worth noting that it is now possible to store all of the game’s quest items in the player’s private stash.

Player and enemy power changes
The Cleave power has received some new artwork, and has had its effective hit circle reduced to match. This change applies for both the player and enemy versions of the Cleave power.

Rakk’s close-range ice attack was vastly over-powered, so both its strength and hit circle have been reduced.

The Goblin Thief’s potion steal ability has been fixed so that it can’t steal from the player’s Summoned Zombie.

Spike traps have also been rebalanced. Instead of dealing a large amount of instant damage, they now deal less instant damage while inflicting a strong bleeding effect. They have also had their hit circle slightly reduced. This all should result in less surprise deaths by giving the player time to react and heal.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Interesting, considering the open-source nature, this could be used as the building blocks for a more traditional RPG. I'm sure there'd be limitations to that, but otherwise this could be really cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom