Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't be degenerates, stop watching streams. The game isn't all that great, but that doesn't mean you can just watch some twitch parasite and claim that you know how the game plays.

"Oh, i watched some stream and you know what? the gaem is boring, player just walks around aimlessly!"

Get out of here.

this is how you can tell a game is a piece of shit when the biggest cope its defenders have is "y-y-you haven't played it, don't trust your eyes and other senses, don't use your experience of playing games to judge a game based on its footage if it's good or not you have to play it to fully grasp it!!!"

bethesda fans on codex do the same thing. oh, the company we keep...

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
E02AxheWQAEn7EK

flyingjohn

Arcane
The ending part of this game is quite terrible.
The final boss is trying to kill you by talking you to death and the ending is trying to make you give a fuck about a character who is annoying and has his boss contact under alpha.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just finished it. I think Wunderbar probably said everything there is to say in his more detailed post.

My tl;dr: it's a confused mix of RE 4 and RE 7 that does neither particularly well. There are good sections, but it does feel like a lot of wasted potential. I wish they'd just chosen one approach rather than trying to combine the two.

I don't think it's an irreversible decline or anything as much as Capcom trying something different and failing. They seem to be getting a fair amount of criticism on this point, so hopefully they'll come to the right conclusion with their next title.

Minor ending spoilers (no specific details):
The ending is interesting with where it may potentially take the series. Without massively spoiling things, there is a bit of a time jump in the post credits scene. It's unclear whether the next RE games will be a direct sequel or potentially take part in the interim between the end of RE8 and the credits time jump.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why do talantless hack writers always try to persuade me that I should care about my sister, other sibling, father, child, whatever, while I'm simultaneously asked to suspend my disbelief as I kill an innumerable multitude of faceless mooks. How do they expect suspension of disbelief to be operating in one instance and not in the other?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trying to follow RE now is so confusing. Is 7 and now 8 even part of the lore, or is it some spin-off? When I coop RE6 with a pal it seems the whole world went to shit, but then in RE7 it almost seem like nothing of that occurred. And now in RE8 we have giant vampires and werewolves. Is it even the same virus, is Umbrella involved still?

vota DC

Augur
Why Copy from re4? It had most beautiful levels (visually, gameplay wise some small sections were awful) but shooting on bird's nest to get ammo, pitchfork peasants that drop ammo and a merchant everywhere despite there are even less survivors/non infected around than first 3 games make no sense.

SumDrunkGuy

I can't believe some of you have beat this already. The game is one day old. Don't you people have lives? Crawl out of you moldy cellar and get some sunlight for god's sake. Go for a jog, or at the very least a cruise on your fat person scooter.

ADL

Prophet
I can't believe some of you have beat this already. The game is one day old. Don't you people have lives? Crawl out of you moldy cellar and get some sunlight for god's sake. Go for a jog, or at the very least a cruise on your fat person scooter.
It's only 6-8 hours long and it's a weekend. The fuck else is there to do right now?

Drakortha

Liturgist
Crapcom want to release a new RE game every year, they even said this. They want RE to be like Ass Creed and Call of Duty with a new release every year. This is what you get for being a consumer. $100 price tag for a $30 experience at best. Everywhere you look in this game it's lacking polish and detail. They put more time and effort into RE6!

Deleted member 7219

I've completed the game. Total Steam playtime: 13.3 hours. Total in-game playtime (excluding breaks and reloading after death): 10 hours.

It's great.

Gameplay: 3/4s of the game is a first person shooter with puzzle elements, just like RE 7. Expect lots of running from enemies, dodging enemies, hiding from bosses and the occasional entertaining, if simple, puzzles. The shooting part of the game is fun, but the Resident Evil games have always been good at that. Weapon upgrades from RE 7 make a return, as does the merchant from RE 4. He's not the same guy, but he fulfils the same purpose - he follows you around and offers inventory storage upgrades, weapon enhancements and upgrades, and he'll cook you food if you give him the right ingredients to give you permanent stat boosts - health, speed etc. You can sell him all the shit you find, including treasures, combined treasures etc. TLDR: gameplay is a cross between RE 7 and RE 4.

Visuals: The game looks incredible. It's the same engine as RE 7, so you can expect the same high fidelity textures and lighting, but it's the environments that really make the visuals spectacular. You're in a non-descript eastern European location, with huge mountains, distant valleys, and a massive castle on the hill. The castle in gameplay isn't as big as it looks in the game but it doesn't matter. The game is very atmospheric and definitely has a strong sense of place.

Performance: This engine is polished and stable as hell. Half of my PC dates from 2009. Seriously. I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad 9660, 8GB of RAM with 2009 specs, GeForce 960. I'm running it at a locked 30 FPS with only the occasional slowdown to 20 FPS in heavy smoke/particle effect sections (which kill the processor). Even then, that's manageable. 1920x1080 resolution, medium settings, usual shit like DoF, bloom, blur turned off.

Story: I'm a dedicated Resident Evil storyfag, and this game was made for me. You either like Resident Evil's lore, or you don't. At this point, it's huge, labyrinthine, and rewards those who keep up with it, but newcomers will probably feel a bit lost. Resident Evil 8 (I refuse to call it Village) is very much a sequel to Resident Evil 7, but it also, finally, continues the main Resident Evil storyline in some small ways.

It seems Chris Redfield is working for this Neo-Umbrella organisation because he doesn't trust BSAA anymore, and his concerns are proven well founded by the end of the game. Also, the person behind the mold infestation was once involved with Oswell Spencer - until he left her to pursue his own virus-focused research. It's still a bit confusing - there's mention towards the end of the game that the Baker incident was actually independent, and nothing to do with the woman behind the events of RE 8 - but I was still glad to see them threading the stories back together. Full reboot this ain't.

I can see why game reviewers don't like the last part of the game, action focused as it is, with Ethan magically resurrected (although, all the previous cases of him reattaching severed limbs didn't seem to concern the journos). I didn't mind it. The escalation suited the storyline, which had started slowly and boiled up nicely. Also, as a dedicated Resident Evil storyfag (as previously mentioned), I have a high tolerance for Japanese DRAMA and the typical RE stuff of people turning into monsters, lots of SPLOSIONS etc.

I don't give scores, but I'd say it's a must play if you're a fan of Resident Evil. If you like some of the RE games but don't like the recent ones, pick it up in a sale. If you don't like Resident Evil at all, you shouldn't have bothered to read this post or thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom