Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress CYOA: Star Trek: Dukat

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The Specter of War

"Very well. I'll instruct Glinn Jirrar to waive your maintenance fees."
Quark nods his head and smiles. "Excellent! I knew we could come to an agreement."
You nod, and leave the bar. Gambling and other such frivolity seems like a waste of time to you. You're a man on a mission, and that mission is to ensure the safety of you and yours, whatever it takes. You've learned that the hard way. You instead want to get back to work, to ensure that your future is a good one.

-----

AzACl5q.png

"Yes, Skrain. The boys are fine. Mekor had an accident with the hoverbike again, but the doctors at the military hospital said he was ok. Other than that, they're fine."
You smile.
Your wife, Athra, knows how much you like to receive these verbal reports about your boys. Even if the news is a bit mundane. Family is everything to a Cardassian.
"Thank you, dear. That's all I needed to hear."
"I heard from Gul Marayn's wife that things along the border with the Federation are getting tense. Are we going to war?"
You sigh.
The Federation. A group of human and similar species who claim to believe in democracy and freedom. You remember when they first made first contact with the Cardassian Union. Full of promises of a better life for all involved.
How wrong they were.

The border disputes with the Federation began soon after first contact. Every small colony planet, every minor race seemed to fall under their protection.
They seem to think it's their duty to protect the galaxy from us. As if we're the evil ones for simply wanting to grow our empire and protect our own.
All the while, they grow larger and larger. Like a cancer, spreading through the stars.
The rumors that war is coming have been all-to-real for the past six months now. The hope at Central Command is that the Federation's habitually sour relations with the Klingon Empire will keep them too busy for a successful large-scale conflict. But you know nothing is guaranteed.

"I don't know. Regardless of what happens, Bajor is far from the border. And you and the children are safe on the homeworld. That's all I need to know."
Athra nods.
The two of you say your cordial goodbyes and end the call.
She's a practical woman, if not passionate. But then, the two of you have been married a long time. No passion lasts forever.

Your communicator suddenly chirps.
"Glinn Jirrar to Gul Dukat," Ral's voice says.
"Dukat here. What is it?"
"I'm sorry to interrupt you, sir. But Legate Kell is requesting to speak with you on a secure channel."
"Patch him through to my quarters."
"Yes, sir."

A moment passes. Then, the view screen in your quarters turns on once again, and the all to familiar face of Legate Kell appears on the screen with his usual stern expression.
"Dukat. I see you've already made yourself at home on Terok Nor. Settling in well, I trust?"
"As well as can be expected, Legate. What do you need?"
Kell leans forward a bit.
"High command is stepping up manufacturing for the entire Union. Especially warship manufacturing. We need more Uridium and we need it now. I'd like you to make sure mining operations on Bajor and its moons are running at peak efficiency. I want to double the current production outputs."
"Double, sir? That's..."
The legate nods his head.
"Double. This is very important, Dukat. Do what it takes. Kell out."
He disappears from the screen. You lean back in your chair and sigh.
Funny how everything seems to come back to war, in the end.
Maybe you should just resign yourself to that fact.

-----

RpO3bmG.png

You and Ral beam down to the surface of Bajor. You materialize in the Capitol Complex, which is now run by the Cardassian Occupation Administration, a bureaucratic branch of the military government that manages day-to-day affairs on the planet.
A young Cardassian woman approaches you.
"Gul Dukat? Glinn Jirrar?"
Ral nods.
"They're waiting for you. Right this way."
You are led to a private conference room overlooking the city. A number of people are seated inside at a large table, all Cardassian officers. They turn to you.
"Dukat." a round-faced, stocky man man says, waving you to a seat. "Finally decided to grace us with your presence, eh?"
You recognize this man as Gul Darhe'el, the Gul in charge of the Gallitep labor camp.
In fact, each of the twenty-three Guls at this table are in charge a mining labor camp. Either on Bajor or one if its five moons.
You haven't personally met any of them before now, but you've read their files.
"Gul Darhe'el. A pleasure to finally meet you."
"Call me Trekal," he says, waving his hand. "All my friends do."
You nod.

"If we're all here, let's get started," you say. "As you know, all know, I am Gul Dukat, Prefect of Bajor."
You watch as the Guls introduce themselves.
Gul Melak, a severe, dark-haired woman; Gul Tarl, a heavyset, middle-aged man; and numerous others.
Once everyone is done, you continue.

"I think you all know why you're gathered here. We need to discuss how we can double ore output within the next few months. There is talk of war with the Federation, and we need to be prepared. Now, I've sent each of you a file on your camp's productivity over the past year. I'd like to begin with a showing of what each of you has done in the past to increase your camp's efficiency, starting with Gul Darhe'el, since his camp has shown the most exemplarity production profile to date."
Trekal sits up a bit, and beams proudly.
"Well, thank you, Dukat. I've found that showing the workers that I'm watching them has a very strong effect. Private executions and public floggings have proven to be very effective motivation tools. Last month, I had a man whose quota was five tons and he only delivered four. Well, I had him shot dead in front of his family. The next day, his replacement handed in five tons."

You're taken aback.
"That's...a rather brutal philosophy, Gul," you say.
Trekal laughs.
"I'm just giving examples, Dukat. I'm sure the others have their own techniques for motivating workers."
You go around the table, asking each of the Guls to talk about their techniques and their ideas for increasing production. From what you can tell, most of them are doing something similar to Darhe'el, although less often and without the killing. One or two of the Guls are extremely humane, and try to encourage their workers with rewards and incentives, though their production is much lower.

Overall, the main ideas for increasing production revolve around pushing the workers harder, in much the same way that the Union has always done. The most extreme comments come from Melak and Darhe'el, who both not only suggest extending the workday to a minimum of sixteen hours for all laborers, but recommend sending entire families into the mines and only giving out food to those who meet their quotas, thus motivating people to work hard in order to feed their families.

You have to decide how you will increase production.

For existing workers...
A. You implement the brutal policies that have been shown to be effective in all camps, including executions.
B. You allow brutal punishments like beatings in all camps to continue, but forbid executions except in cases where one worker murders another or tries to escape.
C. You disallow brutality and instruct the Guls to implement policies of rewarding good behavior rather than motivating through fear.

For their work days...
A. You do not increase the amount of hours worked, even though this could be seen as directly disobeying orders, should your superiors find out.
B. You implement mandatory 12 hour days.
C. You implement mandatory 16 hour days.
D. Laborers are to be worked to death. More replacements are easy to come by.

In order to deal with any increase in mortality and to try to improve the number of available workers, you:
A. Increase the legal penalties of most laws to imprison more criminals in the camps.
B. Take low-skill laborers by force.
C. Offer a small sum of money in exchange for voluntary imprisonment and labor. The money can come in-part from the tax you levied earlier, though you would likely need to dip into other parts of the planetary budget to be effective.
D. Do nothing.

Regarding family imprisonment:
A. You allow for some family imprisonment, especially for severe crimes like sedition.
B. You encourage family imprisonment for most crimes.
C. You ban the imprisoning of families.

For Gul Darhe'el:
A. You praise his ingenuity.
B. You tell him to stop the killings, but say he may continue beating his prisoners if they merit it.
C. You order him to cease all brutality and submit a complaint about his behavior to Central Command to try to get him removed from his post.
(You do not have the authority to arrest him, since technically he is doing his job.)

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
*Added an option to do nothing about any increase in mortality, in case you don't expect there to be one.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Your Character Sheet:

FDXtMNN.jpg

Skrain Dukat

Age: Approx. 43 years old (Avg Cardassian lifespan is 98 with the oldest Cardassian on record being 144 years old.)
Race: Cardassian (reptilian humanoid)
Faction: Cardassian Union
Military Rank: Gul (Demoted from Legate)
Occupation: Prefect of Bajor and Commander of Terok Nor, a military ore refining station orbiting the conquered Bajor.
Traits: Intelligent, leader, combat experience, tactical training, alcoholic
Family: Your wife Athra and your children, all of whom are back on Cardassia Prime.

The son of a prominent official, you were fast tracked for military success and quickly rose through the ranks to become a Legate.

Your family was disgraced when your father was put on trial for treason after being interrogated and exposed by the Obsidian Order. You were demoted in the ensuing political fallout, but were eventually selected to take over the role of Prefect of Bajor, after the previous Prefect was assassinated.

Cardassian Union Civilians and Rank and File Military:
Respected/Questioning

Cardassian Union Central Command:
Tolerated/Questioned

Cardassian Union Obsidian Order:
Disliked

Federation (Starfleet):
Unknown

Bajor (General Populace):
Hated/Feared

Bajoran Resistance:
Hated

Orion Syndicate:
Unknown

A Shekel for A Good Gul - Taxed the people instead of executing them.

Mark - Took a Ferengi's offer without even trying to bargain with him. Though remember Rule of Acquisition #58: "Friendship is seldom cheap."

You're No Fun - Didn't do anything at Quark's.

Whoops - You had your first planetary revolt. The first time is always special.

Pacified Protest - Whose streets? Your streets.

Sausage Party - Nothing like a party of men and only men, am I right, Ral? Ral? Why are you facepalming?

Terok Nor Station Schematic:

yztRxjF.png

View from outside:

ZclSpyl.png

Last edited:

tsuke

Educated
A D A A A

Basically im in favor of brutalizing them until they ask us to be merciful at which time we can grant it. Showing them mercy without being asked for it strikes me as giving something for nothing.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I've added Reputations and Game Achievements to the character sheet to give you a little feedback without commenting too much.

Don't take Game Achievements too seriously, they're just my opinion of choices I find unique or humorous and they give me a way to tease you about them.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
BBBAB

told you we should execute the ferengi, marks

also told you the spice must flow: lets increase the number of workers

hello friend

Arcane
C
B
A+C
B
B

The way I see it, we want to increase amount of labourers, increase amount of labour, and decrease amount of unrest in the camps. By getting whole families into labour camps, people will be less likely to cause trouble for fear of their families, and more content because they have the comfort of their families. Also, together with the voluntary paid labourers, it ensures not only that the labouring force doesn't consist purely of hardened criminals, as many of them will be merely criminal-adjacent, but that some of them will even be (somewhat) happy to be there. Much harder to foment rebellion in such cases. Divide and conquer. Additionally, higher penalties on lawbreaking will reinforce Cardassian authority and encourage people not to step out of line while some leniency for the already sentenced will further prevent the Bajorans from feeling too desperate. Insofar as it is possible, we want troublemakers to be ostracised and isolated - people who will risk shunting everyone from a livable situation into brutal oppression. The mailed hand looming ominously above, but only patting people on the head gently; a subtle reminder of restrained violence resting on one's skull.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Also, together with the voluntary paid labourers, it ensures not only that the labouring force doesn't consist purely of hardened criminals, as many of them will be merely criminal-adjacent.
Keep in mind that the kind of criminals that get hard labor aren't necessarily hardened murderers or terrorists as it is.

Failure to pay your taxes results in hard labor for a year. And sedition would also likely result in hard labor. (Sedition can include merely organizing protests or posting anti-Cardassian propaganda to incite revolt.) Terrorist sympathizers would also face harsh treatment under Cardassian law, so people who gave rebel groups food, shelter or medical supplies would be locked up right along side the ones selling them weapons. So there's already bound to be a lot of normal people along side Tyrone, the jacked Bajoran crack dealer or whatever.

So 3A would make less serious crimes like stealing, public indecency or public intoxication result in some amount of hard labor. (Families could be imprisoned in such cases, if you also pick 4B, but not 4A.)

Last edited:

tsuke

Educated
Also, together with the voluntary paid labourers, it ensures not only that the labouring force doesn't consist purely of hardened criminals, as many of them will be merely criminal-adjacent.
Keep in mind that the kind of criminals that get hard labor aren't necessarily hardened murderers or terrorists as it is.

Failure to pay your taxes results in hard labor for a year. And sedition would also likely result in hard labor. (Sedition can include merely organizing protests or posting anti-Cardassian propaganda to incite revolt.) Terrorist sympathizers would also face harsh treatment under Cardassian law, so people who gave rebel groups food, shelter or medical supplies would be locked up right along side the ones selling them weapons. So there's already bound to be a lot of normal people along side Tyrone, the jacked Bajoran crack dealer or whatever.

So 3A would make less serious crimes like stealing, public indecency or public intoxication result in some amount of hard labor. (Families could be imprisoned in such cases, if you also pick 4B, but not 4A.)
sounds like terrorists to me.

hello friend

Arcane

I'm not seeing a problem

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Mistakes Were Made

Based on all of the input you've received, you close the meeting with the following directives:

1. You disallow brutality and instruct the Guls to implement policies of rewarding good behavior rather than motivating through fear.
2. You implement mandatory 12 hour days for all Bajoran miners.
3. You increase the legal penalties of most laws to imprison more criminals in the camps. You also offer a reward for anyone voluntarily agreeing to work in the camps.
4. You decree that all serious crimes will result in one's whole family being sentenced to the camps with them.

Over the next few weeks, the results of your decisions are made apparent. The Guls begin implementing new policies of rewarding workers for meeting their quotas and generally attempt to make the camps safer and more pleasant places to work.

However, while increasing the amount of people sent to the camps and increasing the amount of hours worked increased productivity, banning camp brutality has decreased it. The net result of these changes is that mining output only increases by around 25%.

f2tPJjc.png

After one month, the workers are truly tired of the long hours, and the Guls start seeing a rise in disobedience, which they are unable to curb. Many people feel they are imprisoned unjustly, having been sent to hard labor for small infractions like stealing food, and even the few that signed up voluntarily are incensed by the fact that you at times ordered entire families into the mines. A few of the Guls become nervous about your policies and begin to request that you allow them to use more violent tactics to motivate the Bajorans and to keep camp order.

Only Gul Darhe'el makes no such request, as you allowed him to continue his brutality, albeit without any killing. His camp actually becomes the most productive, and he makes no protest when you ask for a report of his success. The other camps, especially Melak's, become increasingly chaotic.

The camp riots begin one after another, with the Guls being unable to maintain even a pretense of order. Guards are quickly overwhelmed by the now large number of prisoners and held hostage. Three of the Guls are killed during these riots, including Melak, and you receive reports of angry mobs on the streets, no doubt organized by the Bajoran Resistance to take advantage of the chaos.

In response, you declare martial law for the entire planet.

It is at this point that you realize that your solution has backfired spectacularly...

In implementing martial law, a curfew is needed to halt the riots, especially in the Capitol.

A. You implement a curfew with arrests.
1. Soldiers issued stun batons and disruptor rifles.
2. Soldiers issued stun batons only.

B. A curfew with shoot on sight orders.

In attempting to restore order to the camps and rescue any guards that are held hostage:

A. You send in strike teams.
2. Soldiers issued stun batons only.

B. You surround each of the camps in a siege and wait for them to surrender.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
A note on the character sheet:

On reputation, things with gray text after a slash indicate a modifier.

For example, being respected and questioned means that while people generally think highly of you, they have begun to doubt you and wonder what the hell you are doing. It could be a prelude to your reputation lowering, should you not do anything to fix it.

Another possible modifier I envision is feared, which even if people hate you, would limit what people are willing to do about that hatred. Feared would also make it harder to make people think better of you though, so keep that in mind.

There are no hard rules on these modifiers, but hopefully they will give you a better idea of how the world is reacting to your decsions.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops - You had your first planetary revolt. The first time is always special.

:lol:

A. You implement a curfew with arrests.

A. You send in strike teams.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
B A1 takes it.

A pity. A part of me was hoping you'd pick the worst option and the Resistance would liberate a bunch of labor camps and Bajoran Lives Matter would create a CHAZ in the Capitol.

Not to say that this is necessarily the best option either, but let's see what happens...

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The Hand Of Friendship

2YhQh33.jpg

Elden swings his baton and smashes in the window of the Cardassian store owner's shop. The other criminals cheer and begin looting the till, robbing the inventory and smashing up the shop. The owners, a young Cardassian man and his wife, cower in the corner, too terrified to move.

"You, grab the bags, fill them up with latinum from the safe and bring them to me." Elden orders one of his people.
His people have to hurry and loot as many shops as possible. Revolution isn't cheap and he knowns they don't have all night before the military organizes and riot police are called in.

Outside, crowds of rioters march down the streets, burning Cardassian flags and signs, overturning military vehicles and generally causing mayhem. Fireworks and firebombs are thrown from building to building.

When the riots began earlier in the day, the military patrols were quickly overwhelmed by the sheer number of Bajoran protesters and pulled back, at times abandoning vehicles and other equipment. Elden and the other Khon-Ma in his resistance cell were there to make sure things escalated beyond that. The Khon-Ma will settle for nothing less than the extermination of every filthy Cardassian from Bajor.

Elden approaches the Cardassian couple cowering in the corner and levels his disruptor at them with a sneer.
"Bajor is for Bajorans--" he says.
"Elden!" one of his people interrupts.

The sounds of heavy boots echo in the distance. Elden's face twists into a mixture of hate, anger and fear.
"BASTARDS!" he screams. "Let's get out of here."
The five of them run out onto the street, where the sound of a patrol drone's thrusters reverberate, overhead.

There is no warning shot. The drone's pilot doesn't wait one second before opening fire. Elden's wife, Rina, is the first to go down, a blast of plasma nearly cutting her in half.
"Rina! Noooo!" Elden shouts, before turning and breaking into a run with the others.
"ATTENTION: BY ORDER OF THE PREFECT, MARTIAL LAW HAS BEEN DECLARED AND A CURFEW IS IN PLACE. ALL BAJORANS WILL VACATE THE STREETS OR BE SHOT." The drone announces.
The four of them dash away, even as people in the street scream and run for cover.

The streets become a shooting gallery, as the drone and the approaching soldiers pick off the rioters like fish in a barrel.
Uli is the next to go, shot in the back by a Cardassian soldier.

"Shit! I'm not going out like this!" Elden says, taking cover behind the metal wreckage of a burned out vehicle, his friends doing likewise.
He looks up to see the patrol drone floating overhead and takes aim at what he hopes is its power core.

Suddenly, the high-pitched whine of a tank-mounted disruptor cannon rings out in the distance, and then a hiss as a plasma beam burns through the vehicle Elden and his friends are hiding behind. His two friends are vaporized completely. The plasma explosion blows off his right arm, and his mangled body is thrown into the wall of the building behind him.
"ATTENTION: BY ORDER OF THE PREFECT, MARTIAL LAW HAS BEEN DECLARED AND A CURFEW IS IN PLACE. ALL BAJORANS WILL VACATE THE STREETS OR BE SHOT." the drone repeats.
Elden's vision fades to black.

-----

brvtPe3.png

You sit at your desk in your office on the station operations deck and run your hand through your hair in frustration.
Ral stands in front of you, reporting on the situation.

"So while civilian causalities are high, order has been restored to the Capitol and all of the major provinces. Bajor is under Martial Law, the planetary datalinks have been shut down. State media is broadcasting a mix of propaganda and warnings to stay off the streets."
"And the labor camps? How did the strike teams fare?" you ask.
"There weren't many casualties on our side. Most of the workers surrendered peacefully once the armed ones were dead." Ral says.
You sigh.

"I just wish this wasn't necessary. Where did I go wrong, Glinn? Why did the Bajorans choose the path of bloodshed?"
"They're indoctrinated by the Vedek cults, sir. They don't know what's good for them." Ral says.
"I wanted to be softer, gentler on them than my predecessor. I reached out with the open hand of friendship and they slapped it away!" you say, pounding your fist on the table.
"We've been through this, sir. In my opinion, the only good Bajorans are the dead ones." Ral says.
"Well, there are certainly a lot of those now." you say dejectedly, pausing to think for a moment before speaking again. "We need to salvage what we can from this situation. Make sure any captured rioters are sent to the camps to replace the workers killed in combat."
"Of course, sir."
"And issue an order to the Guls that they are now allowed to use whatever means necessary to keep order. If I don't issue the command, the higher ups will anyway." you say gritting your teeth.
"Very well, sir." Ral says.
"Dismissed."
She walks out of your office, leaving you alone. You bitterly reflect on the path that brought you here and shake your head.

You haven't had much sleep the past few days. Your nerves are shot. You decide you need to do something to take the edge off...

A. You head down to Quarks and...
1. Play dabo. A simple game of chance and a pretty girl to take your mind off things.
2. Try out one of his "special" holosuite programs. You haven't been home for a conjugal visit since first coming to the station. A man has needs.
3. Chat up one of the barmaids. Maybe talking to a Bajoran that at least *acts* friendly will soften your current opinion of them.
4. Drink kanar with your men.

B.
You pull out a bottle of kanar and drink...
1. In your office.
2. In your quarters.

C.
You don't need to wind down. You're fine. Just fine...

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
A4>B2

I wonder what our production is looking like with this huge influx of new labourers in the wake of the riots. They'll all have been arrested with their families, right? A large workforce, appropriately cowed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom