Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

DeepOcean

Arcane
Could be wrong, after all, not invested on this game to pay much attention to it but from what I've seen from streams, the fights I've seen with the lycan enemies looked stiff, almost unpolished and it didnt look interesting on a typical action game tactical decision of "Should I shoot this guy here or that guy over there?", "Should I retreat to gain space and move to a better position?", "Should I move for some cover?", seemed pretty basic, the shooting on this game looks more like some check box feature for Capcom, it seems they were all in on the horror theme park stuff and art style to carry the game.

It is basic like RE7, RE for casuals but this time fixing a little bit what people complained about RE7, that the gameplay was too simple to carry the game to the end.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE7 development started way before the PT-knockoff craze.

What are you trying to say? That they are incredibly lucky or they have a crystal ball that gave them that foresight? No, it's more likely they just scrapped whatever they were making at the time and re-developed what resources they had to create the RE7 we got. It wouldn't be the first time a growing trend would change the trajectory of a developing project.

You all give Crapcom too much credit with RE7. Like they re-invented the wheel or some shit. They just follow the money like every other AAA developer. Everything else comes second.
there are videos of their 2013-2014 proof of concept demos made in Unity, it was already a first person game with an invincible stalker enemy and hillbilly horror setting.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Capcom is a schizo developer. It's a tale as old as time. They don't seem to like sticking with any specific formula even if it's critically and commercially successful.
not really, it's just the resident evil team.
There's a fuckton of RE games, the series would've stagnated and died if not for Capcom's constant experimentation and their willingness to take risks.

there are only five main DMCs + Donte. Way less games to wear gameplay formula thin, and even then it was put on hiatus for quite a while.
Street Fighter
not an expert on fighting games, but wasn't the latest SF game a cashgrab dogshit riddled with ads?
Monster Hunter
World was a major shift from previous games.

Trying to follow RE now is so confusing. Is 7 and now 8 even part of the lore, or is it some spin-off? When I coop RE6 with a pal it seems the whole world went to shit, but then in RE7 it almost seem like nothing of that occurred. And now in RE8 we have giant vampires and werewolves. Is it even the same virus, is Umbrella involved still?
They are part of the main setting (look at the logos for Resident EVIl and Resident Evil VIllage). Umbrella was kill after their shenanigans couldn't be covered up anymore but remnants formed a new organization to continue making more fun stuff. The vampires, dragons and werewolves are just B.O.W.s like the other non-zombie monsters in the older games.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You

IO3SzGA.png
versus the guy she tells you not to worry about

YSf9RfN.png

But seriously the house Beneviento sequence is probably the scariest thing I've ever been through since Ocean House Hotel. Whoever said this game was meant to be less scary than RE7 is a fucking piece of shit and I love them :rage:

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But seriously the house Beneviento sequence is probably the scariest thing I've ever been through since Ocean House Hotel. Whoever said this game was meant to be less scary than RE7 is a fucking piece of shit and I love them :rage:

Sadly that's the last real horror segment in the game, everything after that is full on action focused.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game is literally a mixture of walking sim and corridor shooter. Bosses consist of a tiny room where you walk backwards and shoot at them.

Generic-Giant-Spider

not an expert on fighting games, but wasn't the latest SF game a cashgrab dogshit riddled with ads?

It is the worst Street Fighter game by far. Even with the years of support it has gotten it has become maybe 10-20% better as a fighting game but at this point I just want the pain to end.

SumDrunkGuy

Holy fuckin shit that special chambers puzzle is the most annoying thing imaginable. Whoever thought that cancer up needs to be taken out back and shot. Just INFURIATING!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying to follow RE now is so confusing. Is 7 and now 8 even part of the lore, or is it some spin-off? When I coop RE6 with a pal it seems the whole world went to shit, but then in RE7 it almost seem like nothing of that occurred. And now in RE8 we have giant vampires and werewolves. Is it even the same virus, is Umbrella involved still?
They are part of the main setting (look at the logos for Resident EVIl and Resident Evil VIllage). Umbrella was kill after their shenanigans couldn't be covered up anymore but remnants formed a new organization to continue making more fun stuff. The vampires, dragons and werewolves are just B.O.W.s like the other non-zombie monsters in the older games.

Also regarding links to Umbrella (end game spoilers):

Miranda the main antagonist is over 100 years old and immortal due to the mold. Spencer was friends with her in his youth and they went on several expeditions in search of knowledge. Spencer was looking for immortality, but Miranda was seeking to find a way to resurrect her daughter who died of the Spanish flu.

Spencer got the idea for the Umbrella logo from a pattern he saw in the village whilst visiting her.

You find a decades old letter in the penultimate room before the boss fight where Spencer tells her of his discovery of the Progenitor virus and congratulates her on her own discovery and experiments with the mold.

Gerrard

Arcane
How can people still tolerate games that are about exploration where the PC is incapable of climbing over a 2 meter high wall?
This is where 20+ years of video game "evolution" has brought us.
"Look at graphics. Graphics good. Muh raytracing!"
"By the way none of this is interactable in any way."
:badnews:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How can people still tolerate games that are about exploration where the PC is incapable of climbing over a 2 meter high wall?
Yeah, because older games were never unrealistic or used invisible walls, etc.

downwardspiral

Learned
"Look at graphics. Graphics good. Muh raytracing!"
"By the way none of this is interactable in any way."
:badnews:

Because good 3D climbing animation and mechanics are hard to make compare to the abstract RPG mechanics.
Was playing CDDA. You can do more things in that game because it require no animation/model.
I have seen many indie dev struggle on adding mundane minor features like climbing wall, opening box or breaking object because of the 3D animation. The animation tends to look goofy.
So they spend quite a while adjusting those model and animation.
I guess it is a trade off, more complex graphics so each contents can't be abstract but very detailed stuff that cost too much time to make.

Deleted member 7219

Is there like any real exploration? It seems as on-rails as can be.

Yes - there is a lot of treasure to be found, and at least two optional areas - one of which is a big animal slaughter house with its own boss which has no connection to the main story and is easy to miss.

Deleted member 7219

Holy fuckin shit that special chambers puzzle is the most annoying thing imaginable. Whoever thought that cancer up needs to be taken out back and shot. Just INFURIATING!

Do you mean the Ablution Room? The riddle indicated a certain facing of the statues which didn’t work in reality. I managed to get it to open in the end by just turning the statues randomly, but the riddle should have been better worded.

SumDrunkGuy

Do you mean the Ablution Room? The riddle indicated a certain facing of the statues which didn’t work in reality. I managed to get it to open in the end by just turning the statues randomly, but the riddle should have been better worded.

No. I'm talking about a physics puzzle that is broken as all hell in the special chamber room. The one with the casket.

SumDrunkGuy

Yes - there is a lot of treasure to be found, and at least two optional areas - one of which is a big animal slaughter house with its own boss which has no connection to the main story and is easy to miss.

Can you give me an idea of when to look out for the second area? I don't plan on playing through this again so I'd like to catch everything on this playthrough.

vota DC

Augur
Why Copy from re4? It had most beautiful levels but shooting on bird's nest to get ammo, pitchfork peasants that drop ammo and a merchant everywhere despite there are even less survivors/non infected around than first 3 games make no sense.
It really is a shame how much later iterations of the series lost the sharp focus of the first three games' realistic socioeconomic modeling.
Those games were so hardcore that one of the few survivors was Kendo and despite being a merchant he didn't sell anything!

Deleted member 7219

Can you give me an idea of when to look out for the second area? I don't plan on playing through this again so I'd like to catch everything on this playthrough.

After you complete the Lycan stronghold, have a look at the path that goes to it and you will see a branch heading north. Follow that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom