Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Beta

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
For blocking out blender is probably fine. You can use "level buddy" for that, which is a great doom/quake style editor plugin.

The main problem there is generating the collision for the final level mesh.
You can either use convex shapes for simple collision, which you would have to create for your entire level or you use the mesh's complex collision, which tends to bug out and drop objects through the floor.
Naturally, you don't want that, so in the end, you will probably have to replace major portions of the geometry with modular assets.
It also depends on the environment I guess.

I can also recommend the book "Preproduction Blueprint" for the planning process.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
A short recap of the last few weeks and a couple of screenshots:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/908360/announcements/detail/3026956428735308093

Development Update: Full-time focus and the coming months

Hi all!

I am very happy to inform you that Monomyth is now under full-time development! As announced earlier this year I left my academic position in February. I did my final exam last week and now I can entirely focus on this project. I'm glad to report that development is already progressing at a much faster pace! So let's quickly recap what has been happening over the last couple of weeks:
But most of the work went into the new tutorial area, which is also the beginning of the game:

1fbac535698f882aea35690e7379d403e7f250da.png

1cba25b377e33ee526da5db1e3c5be5c96a44a56.png

6702b8da4bc8f156d19ea7495507dca972bcc5fd.png

The next few months will be quite critical for the development of Monomyth. During Q2 of 2021 you will see three things: A trailer, a demo, and a Kickstarter campaign. The reception of all of these will help me assess the situation and give me a little guidance on how to scale future development.
If the Kickstarter campaign does well I can hire artists to produce additional assets (first and foremost music). If the campaign underperforms, I will have to make some adjustments here and there.
Either way, Monomyth is making good progress and I’m excited for the coming months. I’ll keep you posted (from now on, more frequently than in the past)!

See you soon!
rattower

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey RatTower the update looks great!
I got into replaying Ultima Underworld and some Arx Fatalis and the influence on Monomyth makes me giddy to see your progress!
Btw playing Arx the Crypt level is probably one of the best designed and paced Immersive dungeons ever... are you going to do a special set piece like that too?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That combat has more momentum, reactivity and realism than Skyrim even after all the mods for the last 10 years; see how blocked attack opens the counter, the ensuing blows make the enemy stagger and the way the swings break down into a little combo
This looks and feel almost as if Arkane had continued to develop the combat system of Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Early access then?

Kickstarter for now - likely within the next few weeks. Depends a bit on the availability of business accounts and how mandatory insurances work around here.
But that's just me tweaking my expenses a bit.

As for early access: I was considering EA to make a 2021 release date possible, but only if it meant releasing a content-complete beta during Q4.
I'm no fan of long-winded Early Access phases (in fact I'm no fan of Early Access at all, but then I have also been pushing the release date since 2019 and I don't want to overstay my visit).
We'll see about the development speed till August, where I have the next big milestone planned after the KS. Then I can make better predictions there. Naturally, I'm a bit sidetracked by the administrative side of things right now (preparing the KS, trailer material, planning for grants, etc). I'll probably share some more information about my schedule during the KS.

All in all, things are going pretty much by plan right now. The only thing I keep delaying is a decision on the company name cause all the nice and simple domain names are taken.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rat Tower sounds like as good of a name as any imo.

I'd likely put in around 300 btw

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Also about that company name (I'm keeping rattower as a username):

https://strawpoll.com/j71bf3gd1

Unfortunately, I had to weed out a lot of names due to mundane reasons (domain name availability being one, but also a couple other).
Consider it a bit of a pre-sorted brainstorming session for the moment.

In other news: The kickstarter page is making progress and so is the trailer, which I will release a bit earlier.
I'm also still fixing some stuff in the demo. I hope to have it all polished and ready very soon.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
There's no 'these options sound too generic and I don't like them' button. :smug:

A nickel for every time I hear that. You should have seen the other 200 names I burned through. Unfortunately, I can't delay this much longer.
Perhaps with a bit of feedback it gets easier. And if not: Something generic ain't so bad. At least you can't fall out of love with it so easily (cause you don't care as much in the first place).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
There's no 'these options sound too generic and I don't like them' button. :smug:

A nickel for every time I hear that. You should have seen the other 200 names I burned through. Unfortunately, I can't delay this much longer.
Perhaps with a bit of feedback it gets easier. And if not: Something generic ain't so bad. At least you can't fall out of love with it so easily (cause you don't care as much in the first place).
No problem.

RatTower remains a nice name with some personality behind it. Silver Serpent Software sounds like one of the best options among the provided ones, but it still misses the mark for me, as it somewhat clashes with the brand you've been establishing this whole time.

Gargaune

Magister
Also about that company name (I'm keeping rattower as a username):

https://strawpoll.com/j71bf3gd1
I like the Reactive bit, but not so crazy about the Worlds one. I was about to suggest Reactive Interactive, but then I read it out loud to myself...

7a67147d58ee020f2dfa2cf04ebdb7f5_w200.gif

How about Reactive Images or Reactive Images Entertainment or something like that? A little more pretentious than Reactive Worlds but still relevant. Oh, and I'd probably suggest you avoid the Mythek option - it sounds cool, but it reads identically to Mythic, which might make it confusing to look up over hearsay.

V_K

Arcane
It's not that they just generic, most of them sound both generic and tryhard. Immersive Simulations is bland, but it's the only one not making me actively cringe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom