Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

SumDrunkGuy

This game is pretty damn good honestly. It feels like a combination of RE4 and Metroidvania. The second visit to the village is really satisfying in terms of exploration. The haters are full of shit.

SumDrunkGuy

Drakortha is such a big fat virgin nerd. An overgrown basement dwelling man-baby who never worked a day in his life. Him's mommy couldn't force Crapcom to make the games he wants. The big bad men hurted his poor wittle feewies and now takes out his fat sweaty virgin frustrations on us normos. Like I tell all basement mommy boy fatsos on here, crawl out of your damp moldy hole and take your fat person scooter for a ride. Git some sun, it will do ya good. Maybe talk to a equally fat bitch, form a romance. You will be happier. I'm trying to help you you worthless sack of calories!

SumDrunkGuy

House Beneviento was really cool but it's not exactly Resident Evil, or all that terrifying. It felt very Layers of Fear esque, which is fine if you're into the whole haunted house ride thing. I dig it but I like all things horror in general.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love you

You love me

WE aRE haPPy FamILY. . . .

AAAAAAAA
cc3eae0.jpg
70ab7cb.jpg

SumDrunkGuy

I love you

You love me

WE aRE haPPy FamILY. . . .

AAAAAAAA
View attachment 19129 View attachment 19131

That would have scared me more than aborted baby monster.

I have a new complaint. The stalker enemies in this game suck unwiped ass. They just patrol the same exact route, and it's always a tiny route. They never venture far from the path you need to go. I remember thinking REmake 2's Mr. X was shit design but he's infinitely next-gen AI compared to this lazy crap.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Attachments

• 1557129318789.jpg
    1557129318789.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 728

Maxie

of course the picture doesnt have a name but this weirdo randomized sequence chan shit always has lmao. jenkem's personality is just copy pasting shit from an imageboard

I keep thinking how the game could've been much better if devs just took one setting and made a game around it. Currently RE Village is a kitchen sink of Universal horror / Hammer films (Village - Wolfman, Dimitrescu Castle - Dracula, Beneviento Manor - Woman in Black, Moreau Swamp - Creature from the Black Lagoon, Heisenberg Factory - Frankenstein) where each of those settings is half-assed.

That's what Resident Evil has always done. The first game is zombies, but it's also killer dogs, giant spiders, a giant snake, killer plants, Jaws, The Birds, The Fly, and those original Hunters looking like weird goblin guys. It's always been a horror kitchen sink, which was one of the cool things about it.

What I don't really get about this game is it seems you had three factions within the team that all wanted to do different things and never really came together on it. At first glance it's very Resident Evil 4 looking, it's a similar looking setting, they brought that game's inventory system back, they have a merchant again; but then they didn't bring back the core of RE4...the gameplay. For as much as they wanted to invoke RE4 during the run up to its release, this plays nothing at all like Resident Evil 4. It plays nothing like RE4, it plays nothing like the evolution of that gameplay they came up with for RE6, it doesn't even take from something like Doom and it's Glory Kills which very much seem to be inspired by RE4. Gameplay wise this just seems to be a better version of RE7. Another kind of seems like they wanted to do some Dark Souls kind of thing, and Dark Souls would mix really well with RE; (I think Dark Souls save system is kind of what Capcom wished they'd pulled off with the typewriters in the original games, and it's system and having something you can lose did a much better job of creating a scene of horror, dread, and tension than any of those original RE games) they give you this hub area where you can go off in different directions, (which isn't unlike the original Resident Evil either) but then they don't let you do that so that seems kind of pointless. Then there's another group that I guess just wanted to do a better version of RE7, and I guess of the three they came out getting what they wanted more than anyone else.

This game started as a spinoff title before becoming a next big main title. I wonder if it ended up losing some things in that process, or if that rumored RE4 remake had any effect on it, or both?

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

I keep thinking how the game could've been much better if devs just took one setting and made a game around it. Currently RE Village is a kitchen sink of Universal horror / Hammer films (Village - Wolfman, Dimitrescu Castle - Dracula, Beneviento Manor - Woman in Black, Moreau Swamp - Creature from the Black Lagoon, Heisenberg Factory - Frankenstein) where each of those settings is half-assed.

That's what Resident Evil has always done. The first game is zombies, but it's also killer dogs, giant spiders, a giant snake, killer planets, Jaws, The Birds, The Fly, and those original Hunters looking like weird goblin guys. It's always been a horror kitchen sink, which was one of the cool things about it. It was taking

What I don't really get about this game is it seems you had three factions within the team that all wanted to do different things and never really came together on it. At first glance it's very Resident Evil 4 looking, it's a similar looking setting, they brought that game's inventory system back, they have a merchant again; but then they didn't bring back the core of RE4...the gameplay. For as much as they wanted to invoke RE4 during the run up to its release, this plays nothing at all like Resident Evil 4. It plays nothing like RE4, it plays nothing like the evolution of that gameplay they came up with for RE6, it doesn't even take from something like Doom and it's Glory Kills which very much seem to be inspired by RE4. Gameplay wise this just seems to be a better version of RE7. Another kind of seems like they wanted to do some Dark Souls kind of thing, and Dark Souls would mix really well with RE; (I think Dark Souls save system is kind of what Capcom wished they'd pulled off with the typewriters in the original games, and it's system and having something you can lose did a much better job of creating a scene of horror, dread, and tension than any of those original RE games) they give you this hub area where you can go off in different directions, (which isn't unlike the original Resident Evil either) but then they don't let you do that so that seems kind of pointless. Then there's another group that I guess just wanted to do a better version of RE7, and I guess of the three they came getting what they wanted more than anyone else.

This game started as a spinoff title before becoming a next big main title. I wonder if it ended up losing some things in that process, or if that rumored RE4 remake had any effect on it, or both?

Like I said earlier, Capcom is schizo. And I wouldn't call this a "better RE7". RE7 was trying to do oldschool Resi Evil (1,2,3,CV) in first person viewpoint, and it did a good enough job. RE8 is combining the look and feel of RE4 with Metroidvania and it succeeds for the better half.

SumDrunkGuy

Something RE7 and RE8 both have in common is they go downhill in the later half. Seems like something Crapcom should work on. They don't know how to finish shit.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Something RE7 and RE8 both have in common is they go downhill in the later half. Seems like something Crapcom should work on. They don't know how to finish shit.
I actually liked Heisenberg's factory. Tetsuo the ironmen enemies are more fun to fight than werewolves, because you can kill them with a few well placed shots, and the Factory itself is the only location in the game that really forces you to backtrack.

not an expert on fighting games, but wasn't the latest SF game a cashgrab dogshit riddled with ads?

It is the worst Street Fighter game by far. Even with the years of support it has gotten it has become maybe 10-20% better as a fighting game but at this point I just want the pain to end.

No Street Fighter game will ever be worse than the first one. It's hard to even consistently do moves in that game. There's a reason why most people had never even heard of the first Street Fighter game when Street Fighter 2 came out and was the biggest game in the world...which creates kind of a funny situation. Five isn't a bad fighting game, but it's also kind of a mess and has some weird choices like the ESports focuse, and a customization option for a system that I think was meant to make the gameplay more accessible to newcomers but is convoluted enough I think it probably had the opposite effect at first. I kind of liked it more than SF4 after a bit, but not a much as the 2s, 3s, Alphas, and Capcom vs SNK 1 or 2.

I think the pain was originally meant to end a little earlier but Covid (and maybe some shake ups in the studio) throw a wrench in things. Leak said Street Fighter 6 was looking to be released late next year. Either way I'd guess we hear something about a new Street Fighter at E3 or whatever they end up doing around E3 time. I do hear that since Gill the new characters have all been major improvement over the base game. Think the only reason SF5 stayed around as long as it did was because of their deal with Sony for it.

RE7 development started way before the PT-knockoff craze.

What are you trying to say? That they are incredibly lucky or they have a crystal ball that gave them that foresight? No, it's more likely they just scrapped whatever they were making at the time and re-developed what resources they had to create the RE7 we got. It wouldn't be the first time a growing trend would change the trajectory of a developing project.

You all give Crapcom too much credit with RE7. Like they re-invented the wheel or some shit. They just follow the money like every other AAA developer. Everything else comes second.

Follow the money doesn't track given Resident Evil 5 and 6 are still the best selling games in the series. They're the money. Even today, they have more overall total sales by a few million than RE7 and RE2Remake. Even all the versions of RE4 they've sold come out to 9.4 million against RE7's 8.5 million. If they'd of followed the money they'd of kept the RE6 gameplay it sounds like 7 almost had.

It sounds like they landed on first person as a mix of wanting to be more immersive and that being what the original PSX Resident Evil almost was...although that was also a JRPG blobber where you had a team of four characters.

oir0ow3er7V1eGFoVMk-o.jpg

coopmenu.jpg

They had people internally that wanted to go back to something like remake, and they had people internally that wanted to stay with the action of RE6. They also didn't just randomly land where they did, since people were bitching about a return to horror after RE6 came out in 2012. I mean, people had been bitching even before that, but it was even louder around RE6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom