Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC.
But they already are doing that in the game. There is a line uttered by Tekehu if you have him in the party when you take Castol's first quest. I need to check which one it was. The vtc does employ huana and this does disturb their caste system, same as the Principi supplying fooddtuffs in the Gullet.
If they are doing that, it's so minor that I've forgotten or completely missed it. This should be a major event and plot point. Eothas hogs the spotlight too much imo and that's why the factions feel bare bones yet again.

Delterius

Arcane
The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC.
But they already are doing that in the game. There is a line uttered by Tekehu if you have him in the party when you take Castol's first quest. I need to check which one it was. The vtc does employ huana and this does disturb their caste system, same as the Principi supplying fooddtuffs in the Gullet.
If they are doing that, it's so minor that I've forgotten or completely missed it. This should be a major event and plot point.
Forgetting or missing the major points of the Gullet storyline is on you, tbh. It's the one thing in the whole game that can stick.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Forgetting or missing the major points of the Gullet storyline is on you, tbh. It's the one thing in the whole game that can stick.
I remember 2 quests from there - getting the cure for some disease or another, and trying to get a Huana woman onto a ship. The major story there is that smuggler/criminal boss and the underground city.

ferratilis

Magister
:thumbsup:
https://www.pcgamer.com/best-story-games/
kL9A22v.png

RV0Et5Y.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Here are the lines. The quest is "Dirty Laundry" where you have to spy RDC and Principi representatives meeting in the bathhouse. When you are taking the quest from Castol, if you have Tekehu in the party, Castol will say:

"Neketaka sees its share of smuggling. I doubt that would surprise anyone.

"But we've learned of a particular exchange that will have more dire effects than a few spoiled Huana peasants."

To which Tekehu will remark:
"There are no peasants in the tribes. Your people created this term."

Lacrymas

Arcane
What does that have to do with the VTC hiring the lower caste? And if it is one dialogue, how is that not minor?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
While this is true in a very general sense, it doesn't do anything with the setting. It's written in a way that would naturally cause all kinds of struggles to occur, be they political, economic, or social, yet it feels so very static and it doesn't go anywhere. The example I always give is with the VTC and the lower caste of the Huana. The VTC have all the incentive in the world to hire these people as cheap labor in their luminous adra mines or whatever, and the lower caste will benefit too by moving up the social ladder when they get these extra resources from the VTC. This will obviously lead to the Huana not being very happy that their caste system is being challenged and undermined by the Vailians. This shit writes itself, but there's no mention of this in the whole game.

In the first island the VTC are hiring the locals to work in the Adra stuff, it is mentioned in the papers you loot. One of the dialogues in the port is one of the Vailians asking why one captain hires Huana instead of him and he says they are bigger and haul cargo without whining about it.

The whole setting is criminally underutilized because of all the epic fantasy god stuff they hamfisted in (which should go down as one of the biggest copycat blunders, wanting to make it an epic sequel like BG2.) It is neither here and there when the colonial setting would play to both setting's and writer's strengths, the writers in particular seem to be a lot more creative and competent when writing about colonial dynamics and absolutely clueless in how to make an interesting epic which they overcomplicate and insert too much pseudo-philosophy and pseudo-theology into.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There are couple of quests where deities were utilized well. Scroll in the first game that Wael asks you to hide is one example - Wael gets directly involved and simply asks you for a favor, without boring you with pseudo-esoteric speeches. Kraken in the second game or some interactions with Rymgrand are also good.

Unfortunately those are exceptions to the rule. I can certainly imagine a fun game where there's large pantheon of "Greek" gods who constantly meddle in human affairs, but in Eora gods are all talk and no walk.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
was talking to a house really that great in planescape

or any of the other incoherent shit in it

was that really what a great story is

ferratilis

Magister
Just wanted to share some trivia. I always wondered what the hell spellcasters were saying while casting spells. Turns out, it's just some gibberish Josh came up with. Some of them sound cool, though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/6perfh/spellcasting_incantations/dkpfof2/
jesawyer Obsidian 46 points 3 years ago

The spellcasting incantations in Pillars of Eternity are all in Eld Aedyran and Engwithan.

"A ulu thenn." = To ashes. "Moeith ixi anath." = Power of my soul. "Lavaru bion sik." = Speech cuts flesh. "Brith u lichna." = Bond of magic. "Athek werthan roth." = Return (to the) Wheel. "Craeft afyllath thyr lim." = Skill/strength fills their limb "Cwethe sealmes mihtum." = I speak songs of power." "Werde bylfan an sawel." Words embolden the soul. "Cro ak ten!" = Blood and fire! "Sakrithu!" = Damned! "Ix maru!" = Of death!

It's better than hearing "Inimosi travisi" every two minutes in Pathfinder, but lame compared to some of the Latin incantations from ID and BG.

EDIT: Just for comparison. Much cooler:
Icewind Dale & Baldur's Gate Spells

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command"

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth"

8) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me"

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
wasnt a question about where barrels are but a questioning of his post.
island with lighthouse island naga fights had a lot of barrels too.

arent some of enemies standing/patrolling right besides barrels? how much more effective could they be?

ferratilis

Magister
There was a poll about exploding barrels and 80% of respondents wanted to have them in game. That's probably why some of the patrols were placed next to them.
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/959614721207934976?s=20

A few points in stealth on Aloth + Rolling Flame = BAGOOOSH! It's really fun, but too bad Unity engine hates fire. My game crashed in Fort Deadlight when the barrels exploded.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Notably one of them in the very difficult excavation site encounter.
Purely theoretically, yes. However, I've never found a way to use them effectively, especially with only 3 party members.
I usually try to take advantage of them. It's tricky, but Eder with pistol + large shield sneaks behind the barrel, ignites the powder, waits a few seconds for enemies to gather and rushes back with Escape.

Sannom

Augur
The encounter with the mercenary group that are trying to excavate a mine with explosives has some powder barrels that are fun to use. I had my ranger MC stealth through in order to get on the other side of the barricade, had the rest of the party on the other side of the barricade, threw a sparkler near the barrels at the center of the camp to attract some more enemies near them, blew them up with my MC, then opened a path for the rest of my party through the barricade by using Furious Call to have my animal companion smash through the barrels without making them explode. I think Edér crossed by using Charge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom