Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Gargaune

Magister
Having not played F4 and knowing absolutely nothing about it, does it at least have the distinction of having the title of "It's a shit Fallout but a decent shooter/exploration game"?. Is it brainless enough to be turn your brain off style fun?
Yeah, I'd say so. As an Action-Adventure RPG on the whole, it's pretty bad, but for some open-world pew-pew it works well enough. You've got plenty of equipment, plenty of space and some decently-sized dungeons, and much better shooting mechanics than its predecessor. You'll still have to mod it, though, the damage curve is bollocks.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Is it brainless enough to be turn your brain off style fun?
If your brain is still in an active state by the time the game introduces The_Railroad or The_Institute to you, you will wish you hadn't woken it up in the morning. Seriously.

Both show that Bethesda considers the average customer to be a molerat/mudcrab hybrid, who doesn't care or question if anything makes no sense (Railroad) or even reads and processes what NPCs say (Institute). Y'know, the type that still waits for the Nigerian prince to wire the money he owes them.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
When (if) this comes to GoG, should I buy it? Is it better than F3?

If you have money to waste, sure. You might get a few hours of "dumb" entertainment before it starts to grate you how really much "nothing" the game really is.

I will take people's word for it that Far Harbor is better than FO3 and its DLC, and Fallout 4 itself.
In comparison to the first two games or FNV it is still an underwhelming experience because of the gameplay issues of Fallout 4's design and the writing and the ideas not being that interesting.

I am starting to feel more and more that this franchise should have died when Van Buren was cancelled and it became unlikely that none of the future entries in the main series (spin offs can try different gameplay genres) would truly follow up on the design and ideas of the first games.
The whiny Bethestards can say that Bethesda saved the franchise, but Bethesda wrecked everything that made it good and created a fandom.

FNV might have been the best of a bad lot, a final swan song that brought in some of the elements of Van Buren. But it could never live up to what that game would have done, and these last couple of years I am more and more seeing the flaws in FNV and its DLCs.

Semiurge

Cipher
Change it back

tenor.gif

get a new signature.

:smug:

xuerebx

Erudite
All the DLCs went on sale and decided to buy them, just so I can install F4EE (EDIT: I spent thousands of euros in this endeavour, becoming bankrupt in the process). Previously I had played the game for 8 hours before I was getting constant crashes and gave up (using Horizon mod, but my old PC played a part in the crashes as well).

F4EE 1.2 dropped about a month ago but Augspeed didn't have time to finish the precombines that will really push the modlist's performance.

If you're desperate to play something now then I recommend it, but personally I'm waiting for him to finish up.
Has the mod been 'finished up' now?

You should strongly consider a few mods.

This significantly improves loading times: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44798

This makes the protagonist silent: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20097

This lets you see the full dialogue option before saying it: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27216

Are the above compatible with F4EE 1.2?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
xuerebx F4EE's precombines are taking Augspeed a lot longer to complete than he thought they would. Partially because he's had to learn how to do them on the fly. So it's going to be a while.

As for additional mods, unlikely that those are needed but ask in the Discord

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Having not played F4 and knowing absolutely nothing about it, does it at least have the distinction of having the title of "It's a shit Fallout but a decent shooter/exploration game"?. Is it brainless enough to be turn your brain off style fun?
You'll still have to mod it, though, the damage curve is bollocks.

What mod actually fixes this?

First time play-through on survival, only saving every 4-5 hours, playing it like a far cry game not any of the main plot, enjoying the tenseness that came from possibly losing all of my progress (Never been more afraid of non-moving cars after that one death).

but around level 40, the classic Bethesda I can`t die difficulty curve set in and I got bored.

xuerebx

Erudite
I've made worse purchases in the past.

xuerebx F4EE's precombines are taking Augspeed a lot longer to complete than he thought they would. Partially because he's had to learn how to do them on the fly. So it's going to be a while.

I see - I'll install it as is then. Thanks anyway - and I'll ask in the Discord on those mods.

I don't know. I don't use F4EE 1.2 so you have to do your own tests.

Thanks man, I'll check if they're compatible.

Gargaune

Magister
What mod actually fixes this?
I'm using a very old mod that's since been discontinued which I believe simply doubled up damage input and output on Survival. Even that one kinda breaks down at high level, though.

You could try this Realistic Survival Damage which says it does the same thing or maybe this Real World Damages one. But be advised they're both very old and have bugs listed, so proceed at your own risk. I'm sure there's newer stuff, I think I might've seen a customisable one at some point, but I can't turn up anything at a glance.

xuerebx

Erudite

For the record, in case anyone else is interested:

1) Butter 's mods are included in F4EE.

2) If you use wabbajack (https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/info?machineURL=fallout_4_enhanced_edition), the whole process is automated (apparently).

xuerebx

Erudite
Well I'm still managing to download - I get automatically directed to each mod and need to press "Manual Download". At least you don't need to search for each mod individually.

We'll see...

FI061Ny.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom