Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mud'

Scholar
I would like if Larian actually had a kind of a "time limit", and if you rest too much the tadpole should end up consuming your brain. Just like PF:KM, a time limit that is not too strict that you cannot explore the game, but neither so lenient you can just ignore it. Even it is only used in the harder difficulties I would appreciate it. Also I wish all if not almost all quest to have negative consequences if you rest too much.

So the answer is, that we don't reallly know. Is not enterely inconsequential as of now, but we don't know how punishing it will be in the final game, if it only affect sidequest or also the main quest. Also until harder difficulties are added, we don't know if they want to limit it only on Hard.

Here is the thing tho, if the average player sees even a little hint that something is timed, it will cause him to panic and not enjoy the game at all even if you give the player 60 hours to do it, they will panic because "How the fuck i am going to enjoy the game world and stare at this flower for 15 minutes if i have a time limit?!"

This becomes a case that probably is going around the design document, the camp is a very important feature that they want you to use and they want you to use all these cool spells and shit all the time, since the game doesn't really have "trash encounters" you are kinda fucked because you need to give it your all or be stuck at melee without abilities or cantrips.

The only way i can think off is that using a short rest restores ALL your spells, but still just heals you a bit of HP, you still have passage of time but you are "ready" for the next fight and if you are truly hurt you should long rest + consume ration. Still this will make the 5th autists mad because you are changing up more shit.

Honestly there is no winning scenario here for Larian, they have the perfect urgency quest (a worm fucking your brains out) yet they cant do anything about it because the players will whine, they have a great camp system that will limit the quests potential and well, no matter what they do, no one is going to be happy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will Larian implement dismemberment/decapitation? I an playing PF:WoTR, at moment, on lv 13 on ch3, when my skeletal executioner decapitates an enemy with his +2 axe of rovagug which has the corrosive, corrosive burst and finesse wielding proprieties, is so cool. He has 32 AC(Warden of darkness + Full Plate +2 + Amulets) and DR 5/good. Just imagine how cool dismemberment and decapitation would be with AAA graphics...

it will cause him to panic and not enjoy the game at all even if you give the player 60 hours to do it, they will panic because "How the fuck i am going to enjoy the game world and stare at this flower for 15 minutes if i have a time limit?!"

Despite loving Kingmaker, I din't explored much on my first run due time limits.

One critique which many tabletop fans makes against CRPG's is that time is rarely a thing who matters.

Despite the not so good execution of time limits, OwlCat has my respect for trying to make time matters, a thing which few games like FL1 did.

That's why i chose Aerie.

Even elf haters prefer elf chicks...

Soooo no big titties goth gf for you? Gay!

She is good for a one night, not for life.

hell bovine

Arcane
Swen recommended playing as an evil character on BG3, but I wonder how many people played as a evil MC.
Evil path is so much worse than the good path, it's hilarious. You lose out on potentially two companions (and only because Shadowheart vs. Lae'zel isn't implemented yet; otherwise you could be left with two by now), even though the current companions were supposed to fit an evil party. The drow cleric tries to murder you and once you murder her in return, all the goblins turn hostile again, instead of accepting your character as the new management. Finally at some point Halsin (not shirtless, unfortunately) tracks you down in the camp and tries to murder you too. On the upside, you progress to hand holding with your evil dream lover. But only if you convince them with the right conversation option, otherwise you try to murder them or sth. :lol:

Good path: all the evil companions keep disapproving, but that's it.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Is this the first D&D PC game that lets you play as a cleric of lolth? When I saw that was in and had a lot of reactivity was the only time I’ve ever been interested in playing as a cleric.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Evil path is so much worse than the good path, it's hilarious. You lose out on potentially two companions (and only because Shadowheart vs. Lae'zel isn't implemented yet; otherwise it'd be minus three), even though the current companions were supposed to fit the evil party. The drow cleric tries to murder you and once you murder her in return, all the goblins turn hostile again, instead of accepting your character as the new management. Finally at some point Halsin (not shirtless, unfortunately) tracks you down in the camp and tries to murder you too. On the upside, you progress to hand holding with your evil dream lover. But only if you convince them with the right conversation option, otherwise you try to murder them or sth. :lol:

WOW. I was expecting something bad but not THAT bad.

Losing 3 companions... Meanwhile on PF:WoTR, only one of the 3 evil mythic paths get :
  • The ability to reanimate dead during the crusade(HoMM3 style which is very fun).
  • A undead "pet" which doesn't count for the party limit and I could chose between a skeleton assassin, a executioner, a marksman and a vanguard satisfying most of martial roles. And if he "dies", he quickly resets to life after resting.
  • A Lich separated spellbook + ability to channel negative energy, healing my undead army and damaging enemies.
  • The ability to change my damage type from any elemental spell into negative
And I an not even close to become a lichdoom. I an only lv 13/3mythic at the beginning of ch3,. My caster level as a lich is mere 6, so I only prepare non CL dependent spells on my lich spellbook like mirror image and grease.

Or like Might & Magic VII - For Blood and Honor. That game had a amazing light and dark path; with completely different promotion quests for both sides.

What do I care for romances, I'm killing them anyway.

What about half elves?

No? All D&D games in which you can choose your deity (NWN1 and 2 for example) let you play as a Cleric of Lolth.

But the game is indifferent to the deity which the player chose .

What would be cool is a prologue for each class. For example, the Barbarian starts on his barbarian tribe and is abducted, the warlock starts with a dialog bargaining to be the apprentice of anotherworldly patron, the fighter on barraks being instructed, the wizard on his magical school and the bard in a brothel.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game being bad is a fact, you don't need to compare it to other games to prove that.
Also: stop posting and go outside for a while

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
No? All D&D games in which you can choose your deity (NWN1 and 2 for example) let you play as a Cleric of Lolth.

I completely forgot you could play as a cleric of lolth in the Neverwinters. Pretty hilariously mismatched with the start of NWN 2. At least BG3 doesn't seem to pigeonhole you as an 18 year old fresh off the farm.

hell bovine

Arcane
WOW. I was expecting something bad but not THAT bad.

Losing 3 companions... Meanwhile on PF:WoTR, only one of the 3 evil mythic paths get
You are talking about character build mechanics here, which is not the same as storytelling. An evil path is not made because your wizard can summon x skeletons.

In terms of character reactivity, BG3 doesn't do a bad job with evil races like drow and githyanki. I think the deity tags are substituted by the evil/good/neutral cleric tags in BG3, so that part could be improved. Still, a drow cleric of Lloth gets enough interesting character options. If you choose the trickery domain, which grants the disguise self spell, you can speak with the spirits of those you've murdered. And it looks like the evil choices with the hag and the Zhentarim will lead to different possibilities later on.

It's the tadpole side of the main plot that is badly done.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also: stop posting and go outside for a while

I an sadly unemployed but will go to the gym now. Yes, despite being a diehard magefag, I work out about 2 hours per day(except on weekends or when is too sunny and hot).

An evil path is not made because your wizard can summon x skeletons(...))
It's the tadpole side of the main plot that is badly done.

You are right. However, I could't talk much about Lich story wise cuz I din't archived lichdoom yet, with almost 30 hours of play and the game is in under a US$114+ beta paywall and we all know that piracy is wrong, mainly against indie game devs who promotes incline but OwlCat already said that many companions will refuse to be leaded by a Lich hence you will gonna need to reanimate NPC's and bosses to serve you. Which is very cool and makes sense in lore and mechanics and as I've already said, both needs to be in line. I can't detail much, only to say that there are a lot of story behind each MP and only unlocking one, requires some quests to be completed.

As for the tadpole, we can only get more details when the game is launched. Cuz it is obviously not a normal tadpole. I don't think that the story beind the tadpole is bad implemented. Is just non existent. Not all tadpoles transform you into a mindflayer, mindflayers uses some special tadpoles to do some weird experiments.

But I wish that the tadpole influentied the character in gameplay. You can only use it in few dialogs. When I mean influence more mechanic wise, see how the soul eater on MoTB works. You can for example, in one situation, you can absorb an powerful spirit and get your hunger satisfied and a lot of XP or refuse and get a powerful companion, have a lot of abilities that you NEED to use to satisfy your hunger, being hungry inflict stat penalty and can kill you and the whole point is how to get rid of it. At least on early access, the plot of the tadpole seems to be extremely shallow.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I would like if Larian actually had a kind of a "time limit", and if you rest too much the tadpole should end up consuming your brain. Just like PF:KM, a time limit that is not too strict that you cannot explore the game, but neither so lenient you can just ignore it.
Do you think the type of people this game is trying to appeal to could handle any amount of being held accountable by the developers. Do you think the developers want to hold anyone accountable, they just want to appeal to the usual larian Lowest Common Denominator. Their design philosophy is reflected by the type of people that want this game, and all those people are clearly saying no to anything as interesting as time limits

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom