Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Fuck they did to Fetishes?
The fetishes no fucking idea what drugs they were doing

H64Y4fC.png

As reference for this discussion
Nah, they knew exactly what they were doing. Portrayal of Darkest-Africa type shit in unflattering light is reinforcive of harmful and dated perceptions of both Africa and it's people dont'cha know. So no more cool stuff like witch-doctors or shrunken heads or anything that can be called a spearchucker.
Fetish-Shaman-THAB.webp

Compare and contrast these both with what they're being replaced with.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Fuck they did to Fetishes?
The fetishes no fucking idea what drugs they were doing

H64Y4fC.png

As reference for this discussion
Nah, they knew exactly what they were doing. Portrayal of Darkest-Africa type shit in unflattering light is reinforcive of harmful and dated perceptions of both Africa and it's people dont'cha know. So no more cool stuff like witch-doctors or shrunken heads or anything that can be called a spearchucker.
Fetish-Shaman-THAB.webp

Compare and contrast these both with what they're being replaced with.

Oh boy don't let BLM see this.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Here's some free advice: if you don't like what they're doing, maybe don't buy the remake. The original is still there.

You'd think people would know better, but they're blinded by brands and will still inexplicably think new = better, and knowing Nu-Blizzard they're going to make an attempt to remove classic D2 somehow.

What could they possibly add to the experience to make anyone want to revisit this game though? The action rpg genre has evolved since D2 was at its height. They have twenty years of innovations and additions to catch up to and they're putting burlap pants on the Assassin. Do players really want to give the shambling corpse of Blizzard their money?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
knowing Nu-Blizzard they're going to make an attempt to remove classic D2 somehow

This is why I have the installers and my keys backed up. Good luck to Blizzard if they try to take them away from me.

Pretty sure they'll disallow Battle.net access, though, but that's all right by me personally, and people wanting to play with other people should still have Open Battle.net to run around killing and looting in.

J1M

Arcane
Here's some free advice: if you don't like what they're doing, maybe don't buy the remake. The original is still there.

You'd think people would know better, but they're blinded by brands and will still inexplicably think new = better, and knowing Nu-Blizzard they're going to make an attempt to remove classic D2 somehow.

What could they possibly add to the experience to make anyone want to revisit this game though? The action rpg genre has evolved since D2 was at its height. They have twenty years of innovations and additions to catch up to and they're putting burlap pants on the Assassin. Do players really want to give the shambling corpse of Blizzard their money?
What if I buy it with wow gold? Am I still part of the brave resistance?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Where are those improvements? D3 is crap in so many ways and PoE is a terrible always online slot machine where you gamble your time with slight chance to get anything back for it (or you play the market subgame which is not the point of aRPGs). Grim Dawn is also not better than D2.
I'd rather play D2 that looks nice and plays well on modern machines than these "20 years of advancements" crap.

Generic-Giant-Spider

That's not true Lacrymas.

hugs Lacrymas, whispering into his ear.

Don't do it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I played Path of Exile on and off over 2.5 years and the biggest issues for me were,
  • game is ugly
  • it has no style
  • it's not SP friendly
  • animation is stiff
  • enemy design is shit
Grim Dawn was the same, except that it was SP friendly.

Titan Quest I never played, but it always looked second rate to me.

Diablo III is dumbed down, geared towards online play and looks like WoW.

Lost Ark does some things right, but is a furry MMO.

Torchlight games are OK mechanically, but I can't stand the cartoony art direction.

Diablo IV got the art direction right, but is even more dumbed down than Diablo III.

In the end, Diablo II is still the benchmark. Despite being 20 years old, this 2.5D game still feels incredibly crisp and boasts an intricate gothic horror atmosphere with a great attention to detail.

mkultra

Augur
Grim Dawn looks like a Japanese Shooter with all those neon colors + missiles fucking everywhere. Everything in that game can shoot, you get a sword - it can shoot etc. It's the least atmospheric game i've ever played while Diablo I-II was very atmospheric and tasteful, no neon colors everywhere.

ferratilis

Magister
Grim Dawn used to run like shit before the 64-bit update and before they added deferred rendering, but now it's rock solid. A lot of GPUs would reach 90c while playing, but now the game runs really well.

The complaints about the colors are more due to personal preference. For me at least, Path of Exile is too hectic visually, especially at higher levels when you're zooming through maps. Not to mention all the items and mechanics they added over the years, it's just too bloated now to enjoy. Grim Dawn is more slow paced, so colors don't detract too much from the experience.

Diablo 1 is still the best imo, then D2, then Grim Dawn and TQ.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Probably the muddy visuals, the lack of atmosphere and the incredibly boring and uninteresting soundtrack.

ferratilis

Magister
The game has changed a lot with expansions, maybe you guys haven't played since release? If you liked Frozen Orb, you can play as Arcanist with Panetti's missiles, which are visually similar. For spin to win, the new Oathkeeper class from the second expansion has Eye of Reckoning. It's a great class in general, especially when paired with Soldier. There's a Blizzard skill, but it's tied to one of the devotions. It's just that you have to make a build around it and choose what items to tie it to carefully. They also added new movement skills in the second expansion. If you haven't played since release, it might be worth trying again. It's quite different.

Learned
I expected Torchlight 2, PoE and GD to be so good because they were all parroted to be "what D3 should have been". I gave all four games, yes D3 too, so many chances, and it's sad how D3 is my most played game of the bunch. Also sort of sad is how D1 and 2 are still the gold standard.

Should I even bother with Wolcen or Titan Quest with its modern expansions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom