Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Larianshill

Arbiter
JzqPTD3.png

This is an average discussion of Disco Elysium on /v/.

res11

Novice
So I got to the La Responsabilité quest..
I failed about every check and was not able to talk to the committee at all, should I savescum my way through this one? Feels like a total waste, considering that I replayed the game mainly for the political vision quests. I did zero savescumming in my previous playthroughs so I'm torn on this.

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned
So I got to the La Responsabilité quest..
I failed about every check and was not able to talk to the committee at all, should I savescum my way through this one? Feels like a total waste, considering that I replayed the game mainly for the political vision quests. I did zero savescumming in my previous playthroughs so I'm torn on this.
If you care about the world building then yes, otherwise nah

Terenty

Liturgist
Whoever says the devs are hardcore commies or whatever needs to play the new communist political quest. This is some grade A trolling lol

Larianshill

Arbiter
There's nobody communists hate more than other communists, so I fail to see the logic.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Whoever says the devs are hardcore commies or whatever needs to play the new communist political quest. This is some grade A trolling lol
I think it's pretty obvious watching the communist agenda thought be finished that the devs aren't communist, basically as your subconscious tells you repeatedly communism never works and is a failure, also many of the jokes are directed at communism

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Broadcast timings!

Friday 23rd April - 6PM BST / 10AM PT - A Conversation with Lead Writer Helen Hindpere and VO Director Jim Ashilevi. (pre-recorded)

Saturday 24th April - 6PM BST / 10 AM PT - Art session with Lead Artist Kaspar Tamsalu and Art Director Aleksander Rostov. (pre-recorded)

Sunday 25th April - 6PM BST / 10 AM PT - Tune in to listen to music from our soundtrack! (pre-recorded)

Monday 26th April - 6PM BST / 10 AM PT - Need to know more? we’ll have gameplay footage for you to check out! (pre-recorded)

But what if I miss it?

Don’t worry, we’ll be adding all the unique content to our YouTube Channel after the event!

Finally:

Old Hans

Arcane
my favorite side character is the Frrrt girl. the voice acting is perfect. I just found it very funny you can ask her who she thinks killed the mercenary

Larianshill

Arbiter
Apparently, the monument
you build in the Ultraliberal Quest changes depending on your copotype.

Apocalypse cop: A cardboard sign hangs from the arm pointing out to sea. Written in shaky marker pen are the words: 'PALE SWALLOWS ALL'. What was once a gesture of great power has been hijacked to signal the ceaseless march of annihilation.
Superstar cop: An apricot sceptre shines party-bright across the monument. Glitter balls dangle like severed heads below the eternal king of disco. It is unmistakably a vision of you in your prime -- a killer on the performance floor, icon for all.
Sorry cop: Petal wreaths cluster the monument in gloves of colour. Nectar scents the air and calls attention to the blossom. Atop it all sits a figure, veiled and black, sorrowful due to an unknown loss.
Boring cop: A bright chromatic splash lounges across the surface of the monument. It's not obvious if the paint has any intentional form or if it being there in the first place is statement enough.
Art cop: A mosaic of parking tickets cover the bronze horse and rider. Each one bears the same message from patrolman to culprit. 'This vehicle's parking permit has expired. Please pay your fines and move along.'

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/05/disco-elysium-has-been-unbanned-in-australia-gets-r18-rating/

Disco Elysium Has Been Unbanned In Australia, Gets R18+ Rating

ba9k7zw8gl6vlxol6mbn1.png

Disco Elysium has been cleared for release on all platforms in Australia once again, after the Classification Review Board overturned the original refused classification rating for Disco Elysium: A Final Cut.

The game was banned in late March, preventing the critically acclaimed RPG from being released on consoles in Australia. Disco Elysium had already been available for two years beforehand through Steam and other digital platforms, but the game had never been submitted for a formal classification rating.

But given games cannot be sold physically in Australia — or on console platforms — without a classification rating, Disco Elysium was always liable to run into trouble. The game’s prolific usage of drugs, despite the overarching narrative of the main character and the self-inflicted wounds he creates, was always going to have a hard time skating around Australia’s restrictive classification guidelines for video games.

That ban, however, has since been overturned. “In the Classification Review Board’s opinion Disco Elysium—The Final Cut warrants an R 18+ classification because the themes, coarse language and drug references have a high impact,” the Classification Review Board, a separate body that reviews all classification ratings formally challenged in Australia, said in its report.

The Review Board found that Disco Elysium‘s narrative disincentivises players more generally for taking drugs, despite the short-term benefits players can receive for passing certain checks:

In the Review Board’s opinion, while drug use linked to incentives and rewards cannot be accommodated at R 18+, this game does provide disincentives related to drug-taking behaviour, to the point where regular drug use leads to negative consequences for the player’s progression in the game. It was, specifically, the disincentives for drug use that influenced the Review Board in making their decision. Drug use is not explicitly depicted within the game. The game contains frequent strong coarse language, often used aggressively, which has a high impact. The themes within the game are related to a detective investigating a murder while also attempting to manage his own alcohol addiction, and getting his life back together after his substance abuse. The themes and drug references within the game are inextricably linked.​

The report noted that the developers, ZA/UM, directly challenged the original classification rating, and the ban was reviewed on May 11 as reported by Kotaku Australia.

“Computer games classified R 18+ are legally restricted to adults. Persons aged under 18 years cannot purchase computer games classified R 18+. Some material classified R 18+ may be offensive to sections of the adult community,” the Review Board added.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I started playing this game finally last night. I thought the "not an RPG" types were being edgelords, but I got an overwhelming feeling of not playing an RPG within about 2 minutes of finishing character creation.

Ardun

Ahh don't care what genre is,it is great fun game with great real writing.

Yes. When I first finished the game I felt mislead since it was linear af. and not at all what I expected. In retrospective it is a fun, albeit overrated, game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes. When I first finished the game I felt mislead since it was linear af. and not at all what I expected. In retrospective it is a fun, albeit overrated, game.
I don't think that it is overrated,it is unique mature story. Also don't think that it is linear,the start and the ending are the same for sure,but the journey is different. I would say it is very good realistic writing,and that alone is worth it since we don't get that shit anymore.

KVVRR

Learned

I don't think that it is overrated,it is unique mature story. Also don't think that it is linear,the start and the ending are the same for sure,but the journey is different. I would say it is very good realistic writing,and that alone is worth it since we don't get that shit anymore.
Very, very few games have writing so good that can make the entire experience completely different if you have or are currently going through some of the stuff portrayed in game. Wish we'd get more, but in the meanwhile Disco deserves its praise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom