Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

ekrolo2

Learned
Where does it imply that Gaunter had something to do with Alvin?
Right here.

Fucking terrible fanfiction still continues it seems. Gaunter doesn't even fit the setting as an entity. Very easy to spot game-only fanboys that fellate this character.

I wouldn't say he doesn't fit, he and all of Hearts of Stone are just a Witcher version of Pan Twardowski, a lot of the beats between him and Olgierd are taken quite directly from the various versions of the story. It's not really that different then Sapkowski bending around various fairy tales and folklore. Trying to make some 4-D chess master mind who orchestrated the entire Witcher series, however, is absolute horseshit, destroying the agency of numerous characters to just make a cape shit-esque supervillain mega scheme.

Gerrard

Arcane
Where does it imply that Gaunter had something to do with Alvin?
Right here.

Fucking terrible fanfiction still continues it seems. Gaunter doesn't even fit the setting as an entity. Very easy to spot game-only fanboys that fellate this character.

I wouldn't say he doesn't fit, he and all of Hearts of Stone are just a Witcher version of Pan Twardowski, a lot of the beats between him and Olgierd are taken quite directly from the various versions of the story. It's not really that different then Sapkowski bending around various fairy tales and folklore. Trying to make some 4-D chess master mind who orchestrated the entire Witcher series, however, is absolute horseshit, destroying the agency of numerous characters to just make a cape shit-esque supervillain mega scheme.

Even without the dumb mustache twirling villain aspect, he's basically an omnipotent being. This isn't fucking Forgotten Realms.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
crossposting from the drawing thread a drawing I just completed
6LWEUQc.jpg

It's been too long since I played witcher to adapt the quote to the game

I remember wishing I could just do this in every conversation the whole game

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When people praise witcher 3's story I assume they're referring to:
Bloody Baron
Random monster hunt quests
DLC

The actual main story itself after the bloody baron is completely forgettable. A few highlights(like the quest where the witchers get drunk, the one where you travel between various worlds), but otherwise completely forgettable.
The monster hunt quests are the meat and potatoes of the base game, and they're good.

Eh, personally I greatly enjoyed the whole Velen. And the Crones. It did go downhill afterwards, though.

Finished TW3 including the DLC about a month ago.

Is it controversial to say that the emotional urgency of the game's story is completely antithetical to its open world design?

I've rarely felt cognitive dissonance like it. Geralt's beloved surrogate daughter whom he would literally die for is lost and could be murdered at any time by flying space elves and also some witch hunters are threatening to murder some of his best friends and also there is a era defining war being fought yet this game pushes me to go wreck diving to upgrade my gloves to +2nicecrafted or whatever. Absurd. Ridiculous. Completely tanks the pacing of the story. This was with a delevelling mod to cut down on grind!

Not even going to get into all the garbo mechanical busywork and hand holding that got stuffed into it because open world. The chapter based structure of the previous two titles was a much better format for the narrative than what they went with. The DLCs are a much more consistent experience than the main game because they are mostly self contained.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I think most players don't care because, I as the player, have no emotional connection to this 'Ciri' person. So I just having fun as a monster hunter in this world, slaying monsters and laying maidens.

It's different when something happens to a person you DO care about. Like in that great scene when Geralt tries to get information and Triss is tortured next door.

Gerrard

Arcane
So I happened to watch a fragment of gameplay with English voices after a long time and holy shit if Geralt doesn't sound like trying too hard to sound badass. How the fuck did anyone think this is good voice acting?

Vladimuar

Savant
So I happened to watch a fragment of gameplay with English voices after a long time and holy shit if Geralt doesn't sound like trying too hard to sound badass. How the fuck did anyone think this is good voice acting?

That's because the actor looks like this:

hq720.jpg

Now look at the real badass. This guy doesn't have to act, he IS Adam Jensen.

images

Gerrard

Arcane
Funny you mention him, because Jensen is exactly who it reminded me of in terms of trying too hard.
It's not constant, but in some dialogues it's cringe inducing.

I think most players don't care because, I as the player, have no emotional connection to this 'Ciri' person. So I just having fun as a monster hunter in this world, slaying monsters and laying maidens.

It's different when something happens to a person you DO care about. Like in that great scene when Geralt tries to get information and Triss is tortured next door.

Fair enough. I've never seen Geralt as a player insert character but then I came to the books before the games. Most people likely played TW3 without reading the books so they wouldn't understand quite how important Ciri is to Geralt.

It's awful isn't it? The English Letho voice is another try hard diaster in 2 and 3.

With English VA the characters seem to be a weird mix of The American Badass and different varities of regional Brit from what I've watched. Doesn't work for me but then again I've been chronicallly exposed to Anglos for over a decade now.

Started with the Polish audio and subtitles in the 1st game and never looked back.

Tyrr

Liturgist
It's awful isn't it? The English Letho voice is another try hard diaster in 2 and 3.

With English VA the characters seem to be a weird mix of The American Badass and different varities of regional Brit from what I've watched. Doesn't work for me but then again I've been chronicallly exposed to Anglos for over a decade now.

Started with the Polish audio and subtitles in the 1st game and never looked back.
What do you call a weeb, just for Polish stuff?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

What do you call a weeb, just for Polish stuff?

kurwa :obviously:

blachan

Novice

Fair enough. I've never seen Geralt as a player insert character but then I came to the books before the games. Most people likely played TW3 without reading the books so they wouldn't understand quite how important Ciri is to Geralt.

the game kind of makes it clear by mentioning the father daughter relationship a lot, but it's true it doesn't have quite the same impact

Funposter

Arcane

I remember playing the second game in 2012 and thinking the English VA was alright, but as soon as I started with 3 I played for five minutes, quit out and figured out how to download the Polish audio. I was shocked at how grating the English VA was and that I somehow managed to spend 20-30 hours with it in Witcher 2 and was never bothered by it.

jackofshadows

Magister
Don't know what you're talking about guys, english VA is great, especially Yennefer's. The only problem with it, the real problem is that any slavic flavour is completely wasted, period. Accent, names (goat 'Princess', godling 'Johny') curses... If I'd know polish well enough I'd play with it at least for that flavour.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As a Pole, I couldn't possibly play The Witcher 3 in any language other then Polish.
Conversely, I couldn't stand Cyberpunk 2077 in Polish, I've found it very jarring. So I played CP2077 in English.

Last edited:

Maximilian

As a Pole, I couldn't possibly play The Witcher 3 in any other language then Polish.
Conversely, I couldn't stand Cyberpunk 2077 in Polish, I've found it very jarring. So I played CP2077 in English.
I could stand by this argument were I a deaf-mute. Polish voice actors don't have any range at all, they sound exactly the same in every game, tv series, film dub, etc. It does not help that I cannot regard them as random fantasy people saying random fantasy stuff, instead hearing Jędrula as Bloody Baron.

Quillon

Arcane

the narrative urgency is there whether you care about Ciri or not, most players don't care/consciously overlook cos we're used to this fake-urgency they stubbornly put in games again and again and again...

Tyrr

Liturgist

the narrative urgency is there whether you care about Ciri or not, most players don't care/consciously overlook cos we're used to this fake-urgency they stubbornly put in games again and again and again...
I don't think there is even urgency (fake or not) to find Ciri in W3. I don't remember being told to hurry during the search.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom