Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Just bought the goty edition

1uxixrjju7x41.jpg

xuerebx

Erudite
For the record, in case anyone else is interested:

1) Butter 's mods are included in F4EE.

2) If you use wabbajack (https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/info?machineURL=fallout_4_enhanced_edition), the whole process is automated (apparently).

u need nexus premium for that

Just to confirm - I managed to download all the files through Wabbajack and I don't have a premium subscription. I just had to click the automatically highlighted "Manual Download" around 250 times :D But it's much faster then searching for the mods yourself.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah Nexus premium is not really a requirement, it just dramatically speeds up the process. Or makes it one that you can just leave afk while you do something else.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
By that logic all games in the CoD series and every single game Valve made are paid mods for Quake :-P.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, so i finished the game... well, i finished the main quest anyway, plus a bunch of sidequests (...some of which felt like "radiant quests" except they weren't, well at least the actual radiant quests are *slightly* better than those in Skyrim, but wouldn't it really be that hard to implement a bit of variation in how a quest progresses? Anyway, whatever). According to Steam i spent around 91 hours on it, which sounds plausible.

TBH i do not have as a negative impression as some of the comments i read here, if anything i'd say it is Bethesda's best game since Morrowind (i'm not including Morrowind here of course) and overall a certain improvement over Fallout 3. Also while i didn't like my character having some background (...or being married with a kid), compared to Fallout 3 i found the story much more interesting and hey, Bethesda managed to write some characters that weren't automatons (though they are a bit formulaic and the companions quickly deflate to random lists of on demand lines). I think the game taking itself less seriously with an appropriately more light tone (without being overly goofy like Oblivion) helped here.

The main issue i have with the game is how few alternatives you have in terms of doing anything, assuming there are any at all. Even in the main quest...

...where you can eventually pick a side, there aren't that many options aside from who to kill. For example i was going with the Railroad but while i was doing that i got the quest from Father -come on bethesda- to kill Desdemona but turns out i can warn her instead, which is nice because initially the game didn't seem it'd give me that option so i was pleasantly surprised. But then when i become the Director i expected to somehow... abolish synth slavery? I mean, the Institute exists for scientific research, not for producing synths, the synths exist as a means to an end and there are scientists in there working on unrelated fields, so why can't i tell them to find other alternatives? Why not just have all those wandering starving humans aboveground do whatever synths are doing? They can't be that bad, after all they made a wandering abovegrounder as their Director - even if it took a bit of nepotism :-P. But anyway, even if that wasn't an option i expected at least to be able to save Shaun from the nuclear explosion since there were some scientists that were already being teleported away, but no, even though i could tell him that people are being saved i couldn't tell ask him to join - which i suppose was the main reason why he was dying anyway as allowing Shawn to teleport outside the Institute meant that Bethesda would have to program an NPC randomly wandering around in a room somewhere and that was apparently too much for them to handle :-P

Also story/quests aside, it feels like the character progression is too linear with relying only on perks with specific requirements - basically as if you aren't building some character but instead arriving at a predefined character with slightly different approaches. I know Skyrim did something similar but somehow it feels even worse in Fallout 4.

Anyway, that stuff aside (which TBH i expected, it isn't like Bethesda doesn't have a reputation), i found the game fun. I haven't tried any DLC yet (i do not even have them installed) and i haven't even finished the Minutemen questline - which i'll probably try next since apparently the proper quests for the Railroad ran out and i'm into radiant territory. Also there are a ton of undiscovered locations still. But i'll probably take a break and play something different for a bit.

Gargaune

Magister
TBH i do not have as a negative impression as some of the comments i read here, if anything i'd say it is Bethesda's best game since Morrowind (i'm not including Morrowind here of course) and overall a certain improvement over Fallout 3. Also while i didn't like my character having some background (...or being married with a kid), compared to Fallout 3 i found the story much more interesting and hey, Bethesda managed to write some characters that weren't automatons (though they are a bit formulaic and the companions quickly deflate to random lists of on demand lines). I think the game taking itself less seriously with an appropriately more light tone (without being overly goofy like Oblivion) helped here.
What the Codex doesn't like to admit is that, with Fallout 4, Bethesda did make a consistent effort to improve on their narrative design and dramatic content, at least around the critical plot thread. They tried to come up with some more interesting characters and factions, built a cinematic dialogue system, and the way in which the main quest progresses in its final act, with said factions knocking each other out organically, is leaps and bounds more sophisticated than their preceding titles or the likes of Cyberpunk 2077.

Unfortunately, the execution doesn't really hold up. The pacing is sabotaged due to the conflict between the urgency of the main quest and the opportunities of the open world, character development is hobbled by limited dialogue and superfluous, systemic interactions, and the setting itself suffers from some severe and pervasive inconsistencies suggesting a "style over substance" approach to worldbuilding. Further, aside from the factional musical chairs of the main quest, there is almost no player agency to speak of and this bitterly reflected in the offensive "yes / haha yes / no but yes" structure of the PC's dialogue options. And to put the final nail in the coffin, streamlining the RPG progression system and its gameplay affordances had knock-on effects on the narrative dimension of the missions, which is most keenly felt in how shallow the side content also feels, something that can be summed up as "bla bla, go to X, kill Y, bla bla."

In contrast to all of that, the Far Harbour expansion seems to have been a more successful (if not particularly refined) take on the same ideas, where the smaller, more controlled scope allowed Bethesda to craft a more interesting plot and a slightly better sense of player engagement and agency. You might try that next, it's no revelation but it certainly feels like an upgrade over the main campaign. Be sure to take Nick Valentine with you if you do, he's got the odd line to contribute.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What the Codex doesn't like to admit is that, with Fallout 4, Bethesda did make a consistent effort to improve on their narrative design and dramatic content, at least around the critical plot thread. They tried to come up with some more interesting characters and factions, built a cinematic dialogue system, and the way in which the main quest progresses in its final act, with said factions knocking each other out organically, is leaps and bounds more sophisticated than their preceding titles or the likes of Cyberpunk 2077.
They apparently took note of New Vegas's faction system, but decided to implement it in the most inept way possible. Players get no opportunity to improve or damage their relations with the factions outside of scripted main quest sequences. Most of the game's side quests have nothing to do with the faction conflict. One of the factions doesn't even have a reason to involve itself in said conflict. Bethesda apparently didn't understand what made New Vegas's approach work, and thought they could just shoehorn the idea into their playground design. It ends up feeling half-assed.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
They tried to come up with some more interesting characters and factions, built a cinematic dialogue system, and the way in which the main quest progresses in its final act, with said factions knocking each other out organically, is leaps and bounds more sophisticated than their preceding titles or the likes of Cyberpunk 2077.

Personally i found the characters in CP2077 better but yeah about the rest i agree, especially on the factions - because in CP2077 the factions are there only in name. However personally instead of CP2077 i'd rather compare Fallout 4 with The Outer Words, with Fallout 4 being the better game, which to me is more frustrating considering how much i like New Vegas.

In contrast to all of that, the Far Harbour expansion seems to have been a more successful (if not particularly refined) take on the same ideas, where the smaller, more controlled scope allowed Bethesda to craft a more interesting plot and a slightly better sense of player engagement and agency. You might try that next, it's no revelation but it certainly feels like an upgrade over the main campaign. Be sure to take Nick Valentine with you if you do, he's got the odd line to contribute.

Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out when i play the game again.

They apparently took note of New Vegas's faction system, but decided to implement it in the most inept way possible. Players get no opportunity to improve or damage their relations with the factions outside of scripted main quest sequences.

Yeah, for most of my playthrough i avoided killing Brotherhood of Steel members to stay in their good sides, thinking that even if the game doesn't have something like New Vegas' faction system, it'll at least keep track of your actions - until i accidentally killed some BoS members a couple of times and nothing changed. So after that i killed almost every BoS member i encountered to grab and sell their power armor :-P.

Gargaune

Magister
Personally i found the characters in CP2077 better but yeah about the rest i agree, especially on the factions - because in CP2077 the factions are there only in name.
Oh yeah, I only meant in regard to factions with the CBP comparison. I like that Fo4 funnels you into choosing a side and then progressively has you turn on the others, at their own pace, rather than let you become CEO of all Skyrim guilds or giving you a single "pick ending" junction.

Yeah, for most of my playthrough i avoided killing Brotherhood of Steel members to stay in their good sides, thinking that even if the game doesn't have something like New Vegas' faction system, it'll at least keep track of your actions - until i accidentally killed some BoS members a couple of times and nothing changed. So after that i killed almost every BoS member i encountered to grab and sell their power armor :-P.
Odd, I thought the factions would turn on you if you slaughtered enough of their members. How disappointing.

Gargaune

Magister
They apparently took note of New Vegas's faction system, but decided to implement it in the most inept way possible. Players get no opportunity to improve or damage their relations with the factions outside of scripted main quest sequences. Most of the game's side quests have nothing to do with the faction conflict. One of the factions doesn't even have a reason to involve itself in said conflict. Bethesda apparently didn't understand what made New Vegas's approach work, and thought they could just shoehorn the idea into their playground design. It ends up feeling half-assed.
Certainly, it's not brilliant by any measure, but it is a step up from how they handled things in Skyrim or Fallout 3. I'll give 'em credit for trying to improve on their weak points. Who knows, maybe next time they'll get a winner.

Learned
Like Bethesda's next Fallout won't be 200% popamole with [INTELLIGENCE]you fite good fite on radio kindergarten writing for normie simpletons, survival zombiecraftZ battle royale elements and a completely optional™ real money store and still sell like crack. They have absolutely no reason to lift a finger to improve on their weak points.

I slurp your optimism's delicious asshole.

xuerebx

Erudite
Gotta say, with Fallout 4 Enhanced Edition (which uses the Horizon overhaul) the game is pretty neat. Combat is satisfying and unforgiving and the quests are interesting enough. The skill system is great and I don't think FO4 vanilla had a skill system - just a perk system (I've never played FO4 vanilla though).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My current problem with this game is/was - since Horizon mode was in active development, I decided to postpone game a bit after 100+ hours spent.
Then come HD version, or what was it name, where they added high restextures Bethesda-stye, very heavy and not that much beautiful.
Thus probably many mods stopped to work I assume?
So I need to reinstall all of them or something like that - that mean, I need to spend a whole week, like I did with F4, cause mods possibly all have new versions or didn't suppeorted.
Actually, I didn't downloaded this new F4 with high-res textures lol, restricted steam to not auto-update the game.

Gargaune

Magister
Actually, I didn't downloaded this new F4 with high-res textures lol, restricted steam to not auto-update the game.
Pretty sure Beth's Hi-Res texture pack is an opt-in free DLC in Steam, it shouldn't download automatically. Not that you should enable auto-updates, mind you, the lack of mandatory patches is the prime reason I've been trying to move to GOG going forward. That said, the official high resolution textures pack is a waste of time, takes up a metric fucktonne of space for minimal fidelity upgrades. If you wanna retain the vanilla Fo4 aesthetics, you're best off going with SavrenX's packs, or something like Vivid Vallout or any of the other Nexus alternatives if you don't.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I just wanted to side with the raiders at the start of the game and stick Prestons head on a pike. That's all I ever wanted from Fallout 4.
And even if you buy aquire the Nuka World DLC to become a tastefully raping raider, he is STILL the only NPC you cannot kill, since his job is technically the Yes Man of FO4, the fallback after pissing of everyone else. :argh:

Everytime I opened dialog with him, he wanted to romance me. Like a digitized version of the average Bethesda customer thinking he can romance everything with brute force attempts.

"Is it time for that talk now?"
No Preston Grabby, go awa-
"ANOTHER SETTLEMENT NEEDS YA HALP!!!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom