Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline I don't actually like RPGs

Do you like RPGs?

• Total voters

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Your bullshit is so unreal. You live up to your name since you don't live in reality.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Why did you make an account here? I assume the vast majority of us came here to discuss RPGs, at least in the beginning.
I made an account because this is the only place you can actually discuss games of any kind, not just RPGs. Someone else brought me here, anyway.

Although the thread is "questionable" at best, I do agree with this. Codex is the best place to discuss games of all types.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Bethesda fans are the only connoisseurs whose opinion counts.
Connoisseurs of
rating_shit.png
; not the good
quality_shit.png
, the bad
rating_shit.png

Jrpgfan

Erudite
RPGs can be good, but sadly, the problem western RPGs face is literally the same JRPGs face, that is, their design elements/tropes were made during past eras for technical and other non-design related reasons (for example, ffvii and the popularity of spikey haired emo protagonists). This solidified bad design principles and due to the fanatical fanbase of morons both wrpgs and jrpgs have, you can't have developers break those design choices and tropes without backlash and accusations of "dumping down", or those morons will throw a tantrum.

Sadly, most things that pass as "rpgs" these days, are either just adventure games/interactive movies for storyfags, or tactics strategy games for people with low IQs who rely on their ultimate genius tactic of "savescum" to win. Anything outside of those 2 is not considered an "rpg" by the vocal morons who are responsible for the stagnation of the RPG genre in the last decade, that is, the supposed "fans" of RPGs. Many of them are here on this very forum.

Due to these things, i have literally concluded that i don't like what passes as "RPG" these days either. The last decade i enjoyed only a few RPGs. The rest are trash. Many of that trash are highly acclaimed by morons/shills and played by idiots who don't know any better and have bad taste in games. These days i have been playing mostly strategy games, because in strategy games i don't rely in savescumming to win.

The "muh strategy games take IQ" talk is so lame it's hard to believe anyone older than 12 does it. It's stuff nerd teenagers or preteens did back then in school to feel special since they were shit at everything and couldn't fit in with the football chads.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The "muh strategy games take IQ" talk is so lame it's hard to believe anyone older than 12 does it. It's stuff nerd teenagers or preteens did back then in school to feel special since they were shit at everything and couldn't fit in with the football chads.

Actually, it is true. CRPGs do not require any thought whatsoever, and actually they have very low gameplay most of the time. Only Bethesda games have more gameplay, and other of that style. Take Pathfinder Kingmaker for example, there is no gameplay in there. The gameplay is in the character design screen, after that, you are watching RNG battles unfolding with your occasional input, and after you gain enough imaginary numbers (xp) you just increase a few values in character design (which is basically most of the gameplay decisions you make in the game) and just watch more rng battles. If the rng battles don't go your way, which varies in probability depending on difficulty level, you just savescum until you win. And that is considered "gameplay".

I am sorry, but crpgs are not hard to play, they just waste your time. Unless they at least allow creativity and exploration, like Bethesda games, or are good movies, like the Witcher games, then they are worth it. But don't act like they need skill or anything, this is a lie.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

Actually, it is true. CRPGs do not require any thought whatsoever, and actually they have very low gameplay most of the time. Only Bethesda games have more gameplay, and other of that style. Take Pathfinder Kingmaker for example, there is no gameplay in there. The gameplay is in the character design screen, after that, you are watching RNG battles unfolding with your occasional input, and after you gain enough imaginary numbers (xp) you just increase a few values in character design (which is basically most of the gameplay decisions you make in the game) and just watch more rng battles. If the rng battles don't go your way, which varies in probability depending on difficulty level, you just savescum until you win. And that is considered "gameplay".

I am sorry, but crpgs are not hard to play, they just waste your time. Unless they at least allow creativity and exploration, like Bethesda games, or are good movies, like the Witcher games, then they are worth it. But don't act like they need skill or anything, this is a lie.
if crpgs don't require any thought how come I find them more difficult than flailing my sword around like a retard in any TES game

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy

>it doesnt have a bunch of flashy animations so its not gameplay
So chess is devoid of gameplay as well then eh? Must suck having a sub-100 iq

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
if crpgs don't require any thought how come I find them more difficult than flailing my sword around like a retard in any TES game

Because you are dumber than average. you lack the ability to follow a guide and savescum like 99% of the codexers do on a daily basis.
So Bethestard games are the most intelligent because they built the guides directly into the game itself? Ok.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy

Because you are dumber than average. you lack the ability to follow a guide and savescum like 99% of the codexers do on a daily basis.
You're very deserving of the tag which is displayed so proudly upon your profile m9.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So Bethestard games are the most intelligent because they built the guides directly into the game itself? Ok.

I never said that Bethesda games require intelligence. Which further proves that you lack intelligence, since you failed to read correctly what i wrote. I quote:

I said that crpgs are a waste of time, and Bethesda games are worth it because they allow creativity and exploration. They are not "hard", but they do not pretend to be. They do have cool gameplay though, if you are into creativity and LARPing. On the other hand, the typical isometric garbage codex worships has no redeeming value, it is not about strategy or iq, it is not about graphics, it is not about story or cool characters most of the time, exploration and creativity sucks, no true larping, etc etc.

In other words, a colossal waste of time with no redeeming qualities.

Falksi

Arcane

I never said that Bethesda games require intelligence. Which further proves that you lack intelligence, since you failed to read correctly what i wrote. I quote:

I said that crpgs are a waste of time, and Bethesda games are worth it because they allow creativity and exploration. They are not "hard", but they do not pretend to be. They do have cool gameplay though, if you are into creativity and LARPing. On the other hand, the typical isometric garbage codex worships has no redeeming value, it is not about strategy or iq, it is not about graphics, it is not about story or cool characters most of the time, exploration and creativity sucks, no true larping, etc etc.

All Bethesda's more recent attempts at "gameplay" and "roleplaying" make me wanna do is replay the vastly superior Hexen 2, which is essentially what they're aiming to mimic.

If they carry on with their development progression at the pace they are doing, then in 30 years time that decade's edition of TES will probably have gameplay in line with the original Heretic.

Maximilian

I'd venture to say even a middling and questionably designed TB crpg, especially squad based, proves itself to be more of a brain teaser than walking around in TES games. TB is the sort of entertainment I'd compare with chess problems or sudoku, an exercise in planning forward. Games are supposed to be like this, aren't they? A challenge to beat, even if the challenge is nominal.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

wtf I actually like RPGs

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'd venture to say even a middling and questionably designed TB crpg, especially squad based, proves itself to be more of a brain teaser than walking around in TES games. TB is the sort of entertainment I'd compare with chess problems or sudoku, an exercise in planning forward. Games are supposed to be like this, aren't they? A challenge to beat, even if the challenge is nominal.

ΤΒ rpgs are not a challenge, they are just time consuming. If they are fair, they are easy to beat, if they are unfair and tedious, they just take a lot of cheesing/savescuming to beat, but either way, they are not a very good experience. Which is why only a tiny fraction of gamers play them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom