Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Soulash is a traditional roguelike where you play a fallen god seeking revenge, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Soulash; Wizards of the Code

Soulash is an upcoming roguelike where you play as a forgotten god cast out to the mortal realm and set on destroying the world. The creation of one Artur Śmiarowski, the game been in development for the past four years with a free demo available on itch.io since 2019. Now Artur is looking to raise some money on Kickstarter to improve the game's graphics and implement various new features. As you'll see from the pitch video, it's very much an oldschool traditional roguelike. I'll post that here along with the description from its Steam page:

You were once the god-king of the Dreamworld, but a new pantheon of gods dethroned you. Mortals have forgotten about you. The divines drained your soul of its incredible power. As you diminished, your chains were no longer able to hold you. You escaped into the mortal realm seeking revenge and destruction. No deity has set foot here for eons, but you changed everything. Soon the other gods will come for you, and the world will burn.

Soulash is a traditional, turn-based, permadeath roguelike where you start by taking over a host body of chosen race and profession. Your goal is to gather the souls of mortals to regain your strength and challenge other gods for world domination.

Semi-random open world ready for you to pillage and conquer. The world consists of one big map (over 700k tiles) constructed from predefined chunks randomly chosen when starting a new game. The world is fully persistent. All damage done to terrain or buildings, all items dropped on the ground will remain there through the whole run.

Multiple races and professions to choose from during character creation. The game allows starting as a Human, Dark dwarf, Goblin Dark elf, Vampire, Troll, Orc Lich, Rasimi (cat-like humanoid) and combine chosen race with the following professions: Fallen Knight, Poacher, Warlock, Berserker, Nomad, Necromancer, Cultist, Inquisitor

Destructible terrain that allows reshaping the world. The battlefield that took place will tell the story through burned, frozen, or rotten grass, broken walls, and bloodied corpses.

Dynamic weather system that can affect combat situations. During rain, fire damage will be less effective, while electricity will be more deadly.

Random description generator that adds a little soul to your victims (for you to steal).

Randomized loot system with prefixes and suffixes that add new properties and artifacts providing access to powerful abilities. During world generation, every NPC can be created with better gear, and all of them will drop exactly what they use.

Crafting mechanics with woodcutting, mining, salvaging, fishing, skinning, butchering, harvesting, gathering, milking, repairing, and item creation.

Character progressions that allow taking abilities from different professions on leveling up, allowing you to make unique builds.

Modding support with in-game editors for enemies, items, maps, abilities, and animations, as well as configuration files that allow the addition of new races, professions, weather events, or replacement of assets.

Modern GUI with tooltips for easy navigation.

Optional ASCII / Glyph graphics with 3D effects and animations.

You can secure a copy of Soulash for €15, with beta access available starting from €40. The Kickstarter campaign's funding goal is a modest €10,000, with stretch goals going all the way up to €100,000. The game is scheduled for release in June 2022.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Seems more interesting than most other games to be kickstarted in 2021.

If I see one more RPG where the protagonist is clearly a self-insert for the dev... I'll just continue to seethe quietly.

Alter Sack

Magister
permadeath roguelike?

No, thanks. I can't understand why that is a feature nowadays.

I don't like to lose my progress and play basically the same shit again and again.

These kind of games also awaken my traumatic childhood memories regarding console games without save or password function.

There you also had to start again from the beginning and it was infuriating.

More than one controller lost it's live because of that.

Zeriel

Arcane
Editor sounds interesting. I always wished more good-looking 2D tilebased games on Steam tried it--Dungeonmans had great art and would have been fun to mod, but no such luck.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Novel idea for a roguelike. Will take a look at it when it's out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom