Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Norfleet

No, Civilization Zone of Control worked pretty much the same way. If you were adjacent to any enemy unit then you had to either attack that unit or move out of its zone of control, you couldn't just slide past it.
Exactly! But you were NOT arbitrarily tethered to some "return province". You could exit in any direction as long as you were moving out of the ZoC.

The only difference is that Civ didn't have to deal with non-regular province shapes.
Regular or irregular province shapes don't matter, though. Topographically, you're still ultimately dealing with a mesh.

The whole "distance to return province" in EU4 is just a way to help the player cheat the ZoC rules a little and be a bit more flexible in their movement, because without that the provinces would make it an absolute PITA, especially when moving multiple armies that have slightly different return provinces.
Now you're just reiterating my core point, that the "return province" is stupid and entirely arbitrary. It doesn't even accurately reflect an army's direction of travel, that would just be the entry province. No, the return province is some arbitrary point that your army may have set foot in at some point in the past, but you could be carving a swath across the front line and your return province would still remain tethered somewhere...way back, and at some point will prevent you from moving until you perform a bizarre detour to go out and then back in to reset this arbitrary tether.

No, Civilization Zone of Control worked pretty much the same way. If you were adjacent to any enemy unit then you had to either attack that unit or move out of its zone of control, you couldn't just slide past it.
Exactly! But you were NOT arbitrarily tethered to some "return province". You could exit in any direction as long as you were moving out of the ZoC.

It's basically the same system. If you get next to an enemy in Civ you can leave through your return province or the provinces 1 or 2 spaces away (also outside the ZoC of the unit). EU4's rules work basically identically to Civ's rules if you would force EU4 to be entirely full of square provinces. It only gets weird when the provinces get weird, e.g. when you unload an army off ships and the return province of the sea is adjacent to dozens of land provinces.

Now you're just reiterating my core point, that the "return province" is stupid and entirely arbitrary. It doesn't even accurately reflect an army's direction of travel, that would just be the entry province. No, the return province is some arbitrary point that your army may have set foot in at some point in the past, but you could be carving a swath across the front line and your return province would still remain tethered somewhere...way back, and at some point will prevent you from moving until you perform a bizarre detour to go out and then back in to reset this arbitrary tether.

The return province is literally the same thing as the entry province.

Higher Game

Arcane
I've noticed lately that humanist ideas just aren't any good anymore in single player, like they're as bad as economic ideas, now that colonies are better and expansion ideas are really good. I would start innovative just to max innovativeness ASAP which is easier than ever and you have no excuse to not do it, then administrative just for the governing capacity, then religious because all that extra prestige allows you "elephant vassals" of 700ish development rather than 300ish due to placation, and then abandon innovative for expansion because colonies are the next best thing after vassals, which are the next best thing after states. Trade companies are mostly terrible because bankruptcy destroys their investments and gold is more important now than ever thanks to monuments. Investing in things that survive bankruptcy is the Chad way.

I don't see where humanism helps at all for large countries except if you started grinding down the HRE a little too late and you need as much improve relations as you can get. But if you started attacking Central Europe early enough then that's not needed. Stomping rebels is easier done with the extra manpower from quantity or aristocracy anyway. And stomping everyone else too.

I think humanism is a small country meme idea at this point, but not for anyone who started as a top 20 power. Now espionage, now that's an underrated idea.

Norfleet

No, it isn't. Notice that in the vidya, if the guy starts in his home province, moves into an enemy province, then moves sideways into another enemy province that's still adjacent to his clay, he's still tethered to that ancient "return province" and now cannot continue his sweep along the border without "resetting" it. In fact, a scenario can thus exist where he can't even withdraw back into his own neighboring clay. Through various other rules where you're allowed to move, the guy can end up so far from this arbtirary anchor province that he might not be able to move at all anymore.

See? It's so confusing even you don't realize the difference.

No, it isn't. Notice that in the vidya, if the guy starts in his home province, moves into an enemy province, then moves sideways into another enemy province that's still adjacent to his clay, he's still tethered to that ancient "return province" and now cannot continue his sweep along the border without "resetting" it. In fact, a scenario can thus exist where he can't even withdraw back into his own neighboring clay. Through various other rules where you're allowed to move, the guy can end up so far from this arbtirary anchor province that he might not be able to move at all anymore.

See? It's so confusing even you don't realize the difference.
Yes, that's because of a rule that is literally needed else you would constantly get stuck with nowhere to move due to irregular province shapes. If you took that out then most of the time sieging a fort next to another fort would strand the enemy and always lead to it being stackwiped if it was defeated in battle since it couldn't retreat.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
This whole leviathan situation does my head in. They honestly think that taking a hardline against their customers is a good idea? Streisand effect much.

kangaxx

Arbiter
In my Sweden -> Scandi run I'm finding the hordes seriously annoying to deal with. Because I've colonised all the way along the top of Siberia it's like playing popamole with tiny enemy cavalry stacks across almost the whole map. They can't beat me in open combat, but I hate microing armies across these huge provinces. Lesson learnt... focus down the hordes while they're more fractured, then deal with Europe rather than vice versa. I've even had to resort to building forts... disgusting.

that's why you get vassals. they can squish gnats pretty fine. well, not always. sometimes. when they don't get stuck and refuse to move their troops, it can happen.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I've always operated under the non-vassal principle, aside from maybe if they have other cores and it's a free CB. Is it actually worth getting more involved with them? AI makes some pretty funky decisions IMO.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've always operated under the non-vassal principle, aside from maybe if they have other cores and it's a free CB. Is it actually worth getting more involved with them? AI makes some pretty funky decisions IMO.
Since two vassals are free with the Strong Duchies nobility privilege, unless you really want Noble Land Rights or Increased Levies, there's no reason not to have at least two of them all the time. Relying on vassals greatly helps with the governing capacity cap, and during the early game they boost your force limit far more than what you would get from a bunch of high autonomy land. They're also neat to have around for a lot of small things, like helping with religious conversion, rebels whack-a-mole, and carpet sieging enemy land while you take care of their main forts and armies. But most of all they are a great way to conquer more land, since they allow you to split your coring costs between admin and diplo points.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/about-leviathan.1473454/

Leviathan was one of the worst releases we have had, and follows a long trail of low quality releases starting back with Golden Century for EU4.

As the Studio Manager and Game Director, at the end of the day, this is my responsibility, so I have to apologize for this. This is entirely my fault.

I should have delayed the start of the development of Leviathan until we had all the resources that were needed, and they had time to properly onboard on the project. We should have announced a break in the development of EU4 after the Emperor release, until we had a team ready to start designing and working early in 2021.

We are partially changing our plans for the rest of the year. We had originally planned to fix all legacy bugs before we stop developing further expansions for EU4. Now we are accelerating these plans, and also making sure that the community will be getting them frequently.

The 1.31.3 patch is planned to be out this week, and the next patch after that we aim to release either at the end of may or early june, and then we aim to release several more patches for the rest of the year.

This is of course a rough first expansion for the team and the studio, but it's far from the end. We have recruited a set of great individuals, with a huge passion for the game, to form Paradox Tinto, giving us a bright future for Europa Universalis.

Silva

Arcane
Infinitron said:
"We have recruited a set of great individuals, with a huge passion for the game, to form Paradox Tinto, giving us a bright future for Europa Universalis."

And here I was thinking Arheo been sent to Vic3. :negative:

Last edited:

Mikeal

Arcane
Time for some good news fellas.

57izg5cftjy61.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2138662155

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Leviathan was one of the worst releases we have had, and follows a long trail of low quality releases starting back with Golden Century for EU4.

As the Studio Manager and Game Director, at the end of the day, this is my responsibility, so I have to apologize for this. This is entirely my fault.

I should have delayed the start of the development of Leviathan until we had all the resources that were needed, and they had time to properly onboard on the project. We should have announced a break in the development of EU4 after the Emperor release, until we had a team ready to start designing and working early in 2021.

We are partially changing our plans for the rest of the year. We had originally planned to fix all legacy bugs before we stop developing further expansions for EU4. Now we are accelerating these plans, and also making sure that the community will be getting them frequently.

The 1.31.3 patch is planned to be out this week, and the next patch after that we aim to release either at the end of may or early june, and then we aim to release several more patches for the rest of the year.

This is of course a rough first expansion for the team and the studio, but it's far from the end. We have recruited a set of great individuals, with a huge passion for the game, to form Paradox Tinto, giving us a bright future for Europa Universalis.
LoL it doesn't matter if you waste years,when you don't have the skillz to cut it. They spend half a year creating that unplayable garbage. Paradox should have kicked out the fat faggot years ago,or send him in a place where he will be ignored.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

LoL it doesn't matter if you waste years,when you don't have the skillz to cut it. They spend half a year creating that unplayable garbage. Paradox should have kicked out the fat faggot years ago,or send him in a place where he will be ignored.
For a moment I hallucinated that he was announcing his resignation.

Look at the replies he's getting.
Thank you for taking the time to express these sentiments
What a shitshow

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

For a moment I hallucinated that he was announcing his resignation.

Look at the replies he's getting.
Thank you for taking the time to express these sentiments
What a shitshow
It is amusing how retards slurp his shit lol. Those fucks were very happy about that half arsed promise. "Chill guys,we fucked,next time won't be shit,me promise" for 20th time lol.

since you get almost nothing from lands which are not "states" and not populated by accepted cultures, the most efficient way to paint is with your vassals' colors. pretty dumb in my opinion.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Johan should go into specifics here because this also applies to Stellaris, Hoi4, CK2 and Imperator* specifically the release which all have very poorly received mainline DLCs. To pretend like this is an isolated issue is to be ignoring public perceptions of how all of Paradox's products have been received.

I should have delayed the start of the development of Leviathan until we had all the resources that were needed, and they had time to properly onboard on the project
This wouldn't have done anything given their previous games. We all know it.

The idea that this was a time thing is pretty silly. Lots of these issues were pointed out 3-6 months before release when they were detailed in the dev diaries ("This is clearly broken and overpowered as described because it will be abused like this, it needs to be changed") with no fix. Other issues were shown in pre-release streams several weeks before release where actual paradox employees were playing the game ("hey bub maybe you should check out that +100% conversion rate for hordes, you probably meant 1%") and those issues were not fixed. This is a fix that takes roughly 10 seconds to make.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Genuinely funny to see people sucking Johans sphincter on the official forum after this latest apology. Just like the apology for the previous DLC, and just like the apology they will get for the next DLC when it releases bugged and broken again.

To be fair Paradox fans have battered wife syndrome as they have invested so much time and money into these games. "My husband only beats me every other day now, he must really love me"

But this patch was an utter and total cluster fuck, breaking stuff in every part of the game, and adding more OP broken mechanics (pillage and consolidate). EU4 is now a giant Frankensteins monster of buttons and mechanics all stitched together in an unholy mess, just let it die already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom