Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova Edition

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm surprised its been announced this early. Seems like it was a thousand years after GCII that I first heard GCIII was out. This doesn't sound like a bad game in concept, but this could get very easily broken in execution. Could turn very easily into casualized trash.
Also, do people really care about the campaigns in 4X games? I mean I guess Civilization 2 had some cool maps that were sort of like a campaign, but I can't say I ever cared for them in my turn-based strategy games. I always felt those were best in RTS games instead, never really caring much about the random maps in those too much.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Any company that paywalls free bloodthirsty squirrels is beyond evil. Bloodthirsty squirrels should always be included at no extra cost.
I like Stardocks software though but the paradox style business model just doesn't work for them for video games.

the early access program for Galactic Civilizations IV will start at the Alpha phase rather than the more typical Beta phase, so that player feedback can be incorporated early.”

hooo boy.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Brad is on record being extremely butthurt about Stellaris destroying GalCiv's sales. So if you're at all optimistic about this think again. Dude was already washed up 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Galciv 3 sales got destroyed... by galciv 3 being a boring turd.

Galciv 2 was not balanced, was a bit silly but was also fucking fun, i loved things like the "massive game changing random event at mid game" option.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Brad is on record being extremely butthurt about Stellaris destroying GalCiv's sales. So if you're at all optimistic about this think again. Dude was already washed up 10 years ago.

Brad is a piece of shit CK3 fanboy. He deserves for his company to go bankrupt.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer

I hate to break it to you, but Brad Wardell is so terribad that he is already financially set for life and has so much "fuck you" money that he can ignore the SJW cancel mobs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I hate to break it to you, but Brad Wardell is so terribad that he is already financially set for life and has so much "fuck you" money that he can ignore the SJW cancel mobs.

True but he has to live with being the kind of asshole who thinks CK3 is great so who is really the winner here?

I mean George W Bush is a mass murdering war criminal but he gave Michelle Obama a candy one time so now everyone loves him again. Obviously Brad will continue living his millionaire lifestyle being happy, except about GC3 sales numbers, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a travesty that not only does CK3 exist but other game publisher execs think it is the bees knees. That's why 4x game development lacks any real innovation after decades. Of course as a creatively bankrupt guy who is famous for yet another boring Master of Orion clone you are probably hyped about that.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
True but he has to live with being the kind of asshole who thinks CK3 is great so who is really the winner here?

I can't imagine having a hate boner so bad for a video game that I would wish bad shit on people just for liking it. But hey, you keep talking about how you can tell who are winners at life.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
In no way, shape or form endless space 2 is better than Galciv 2.

Oh, i see, the typical "it was made back when i was a kid, therefore it is better than modern games" cliche.

No, Endless Space 2 is leaps and bounds better than GalCiv 2 these days. Especially in many key things like having a character, and a soul. GalCiv 2 feels like it was made by an autistic retard, oh wait, it was. Endless Space 2 has a great presentation, and all factions are much different from each other and have more personality, making the game literally feel different with each faction.

And it is better in all subsystems too. From combat to research to ship design to system management, everything is better. I used to play a lot of GalCiv 2 15 years ago, but saying it is better than Endless Space2 with all DLCs today is just a moronic, ultra-cretin opinion, just for faggots who keep with the bullshit "it's old, therefore it is better because i am an old fart".

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
[QUOTE="RobotSquirrel, post: 7306626, member: 28390"

the early access program for Galactic Civilizations IV will start at the Alpha phase rather than the more typical Beta phase, so that player feedback can be incorporated early.”

hooo boy.[/QUOTE]
Like for Elemental: War of Magic? :D

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I can't imagine having a hate boner so bad for a video game that I would wish bad shit on people just for liking it. But hey, you keep talking about how you can tell who are winners at life.

I mean it is pretty easy and mostly performative. Takes no time or effort really. Are you sure you want to support my claim about your lack of imagination so well? Also no shit? Like are you retarded? "I like everything the way it is." "Can't imagine anyone being upset about bad stuff." Yeah because you like it mate, that's how it works. People who are happy with the state of the world don't have and have trouble imagining hate boners. Practically tautological.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
In no way, shape or form endless space 2 is better than Galciv 2.

Oh, i see, the typical "it was made back when i was a kid, therefore it is better than modern games" cliche.

No, Endless Space 2 is leaps and bounds better than GalCiv 2 these days. Especially in many key things like having a character, and a soul. GalCiv 2 feels like it was made by an autistic retard, oh wait, it was. Endless Space 2 has a great presentation, and all factions are much different from each other and have more personality, making the game literally feel different with each faction.

And it is better in all subsystems too. From combat to research to ship design to system management, everything is better. I used to play a lot of GalCiv 2 15 years ago, but saying it is better than Endless Space2 with all DLCs today is just a moronic, ultra-cretin opinion, just for faggots who keep with the bullshit "it's old, therefore it is better because i am an old fart".

I used to play GalCiv 2 a ton and I don't even like endless space but it is absolutely dumb as shit to act like there is nothing in Endless Space 2 that improved over GalCiv 2.

Old games are not inherently superior to new ones. People just don't understand psychology. People overrate their old favorites so heavily because of logical fallacies and psychological biases.

Like the kind of bloody moron who would remake MoO even after 15 such remakes already exist.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
God just imagine being so pathetic that someone says something mean about a millionaire and you have to waste time from your life to be like: "He's a millionaire who has everything he wants in life." Well until just now he didn't have some sycophant riding his dick like an Olympian. The irony here is unbelievable.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I guess it's time to officially announce that strategy board is now as bad as crpg board when it comes to having constant presence of annoying retards that are let loose to do whatever they want. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Sometimes I think TemplarGR only posts here because going against the grain on the Codex makes him feel like a special boy. He is, but not the kind of special he's hoping for if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
WQbKetJ.png

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I mean it is pretty easy and mostly performative. Takes no time or effort really. Are you sure you want to support my claim about your lack of imagination so well? Also no shit? Like are you retarded?

Dude, all I did was point out Brad Wardell is financially set and you literally responded with, in order:

* Brad Wardell is a loser because he likes CK3

* George W Bush is a war criminal

* Ray F (me) has no imagination because I chose to remake my favorite game from the 90s AS A HOBBY

Your response was stupid, so I ignored your last two points because I assumed you were having some kind of seizure and temporarily lost the ability to think coherently

When you call me (or anyone else) "retarded" it's pretty obvious that you are projecting.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Most space games seem to have taken the MOO route of point to point. It’s not hard to understand why. Every tile, even in space, uses RAM. Think how small Civ maps were back in the 90s. Since GalCiv was on OS/2, we had entire MEGA-bytes of memory to work with. Even in GalCiv III, those huge maps consume a lot of RAM.
MOO didn't use starlanes. And there were MASSIVE RAM limitations caused by DOS. Switching to 32 bit OS allowed proper simulation.

Stelaris threw away free movement for sake of creating chokepoints, and to allow easy life for people who don't wanna be threatened from too many directions. MOO3 went to starlanes for "it makes it more strategic" reasons. And games made by people who wanted to copy something because they can't program a game... Well these doesn't really count.

Most important part of game is managing big stellar empire, research development manufacturing. The game must be interesting even when everyone is in peace... Well most games simplified everything interesting, thus failed.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Fiscal success doesn't make great developer. The best developer can be simultaneously both best and extremely poor.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Will this iteration finally be able to beat the undisputed king in the genre.
Microsoft excel.

Seriously,gal civ 3 is such a failure.
The ai is dumber.Much worse then 2 by a mile.
Performance requires a i7 overclocked for large maps.
Systems are all over the place and each new dlc add more shit that is contrarian to the base systems.
Mods are nonexistent.

Not looking forward to 4 whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom