Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Olympus 2207 - fan-made Fallout total conversion

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would throw 10 bux to kickstarter (if it was legal at all) so the team can hire a translator for this game. Just saying. Dunnl the legal wizardry but technically the money isn't for development, but to just translate the dialogue >_>

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Meanwhile - Fallout Sonora machine translation is ready but not for download. Had funny bits here but so far nothing that would give you migrene?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So, I started Olympus: not the vanilla version, but some kind of fixed one from Rutracker. Presumably it's more stable. I'll post here my minor grips and complaints and tease some people who can't play it since this thread is almost dead.

First location, Tartar, and someone though that it's a great idea to make every NPC wander around. There's a reason why quest related NPCs usually stay in one place.
Intro sequence is similar to the one in Fagout 3, but unlike Fagout 3, here you can skip it if you wish. Lesson learned, eh?
Easy to rob the doctor blind even with 20 Pickpocket. He must have a really low detection.

bVG4Yr2RgEs.jpg

Look at these guys. These are literally exoskeletons from Stalker. Why no one has ever imported anything into Fallout engine before?

ekzoskelet_dolga_stalker_narodnaya_solyanka_2016.jpg

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
- Olympus has a crafting system. The script is different from the one in Nevada; thus, we have two different crafting systems for Fallout engine and both are Russian made. The one in Olympus is prettier, though, and available without workbenches or fireplaces
- Pickpocket was changed. In vanilla Fallout, game makes a roll only when you try to steal the item. In Olympus, roll is made as well when you try to access the NPC's inventory. Success gives you access, failure does nothing, critical failure aggroes the NPC. I guess it was made to prevent savescumming with pickpocket, but it doesn't do this job. Pickpocket in Underrail is still better
- During the second chapter of the prologue, one guard orders you to get him a bottle of booze. If you pass near him without it, he will kick your ass - a little bit. But while doing this, he puts his gun from his hands - making possible to steal it. This SMG is meh, but very helpful during the early game when your access to firearms is limited. This SMG uses 9mm ammo and it's really cheap even early on
- Due to map design - with endgame location in the center - you can encounter Olympus analogues of Enclave patrols from the very start. Save of suffer
- A lot of fetch quests early on - gather X items and bring them to Y
- Oh, and wild ghouls - mad ones, as the game calls them - are imported from Fagout 3 ghouls
- Radiation. Remember how radiation was a complete non-issue in Fallout 1 and 2? Here, every minute of travel irradiates you. Getting protective suit is a primary objective

Wunderbar

Arcane
- Olympus has a crafting system. The script is different from the one in Nevada; thus, we have two different crafting systems for Fallout engine and both are Russian made. The one in Olympus is prettier, though, and available without workbenches or fireplaces
it was quite buggy in the version i've played. My character met all of the stat requirements, but was unable to craft certain items.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
- game's bears - Ursas - are imported from Fagout 3 Yao-Guys or whatever they are called; Jackals look like Fagout 3 dogs but I don't sure. Now, when importing assets from Gamebryo engine is possible, let's think about New Vegas in Fallout engine
- seems that Lockpicking is changed: it's flat threshold now, rolls are removed
- game has regular, pre-war ammo which is good, but expensive and handmade ammo, which is worse, but dirt cheap
- random encounters are a great source of good loot but you can't farm them early on because of radiation
- there's a quest at raider base when you need to kill one guy. He's standing in the middle of the warehouse and attacking him aggroes the entire location. Solution? Sneaky kill or lure him out? No, just tell him that you want to kill him, he will attack you first and then you can kill him. I don't know if this is stupid or actually kinda smart
- found a cheap shotgun - it's actually worse than my 9mm SMG, does laughable damage. Sold it, and it's cheaper than a stick with a nail
- a lot of junk items some of which are not junk and actually needed. No way to tell which ones are which without meta-knowledge
- so far I'm out of Rad-Aways (which I stole in the prologue) and the only doctor I know for now is a long trek from most of the locations
- found a great random encounter: trader with two guards attacked by two raiders. One raider is down, one guard is down (the one with flamethrower, no less), now it's either the guard or raider will die and I decide to help one side for XP; great loot awaits me regardless. I accidentally hit the guard (while having 95% at raider) he attacks me with a grenade launcher and I'm dead :argh:

Wunderbar

Arcane
- game has regular, pre-war ammo which is good but expensive, and handmade ammo, which is worse but dirt cheap
i really hated managing inventory because the ammo icons were hard to read.

in fo 1-2 the ammo icons were perfectly readable, you can instantly say which is 10mm and which is 10mm AP.
vsMN28D.png

in Olympus, all ammo icons look different and overly detailed. For example, here are .223cal prewar, .223cal homemade, and .223cal AP. They all look different and can be easily mistaken for 308 or any other rifle round.
7x6Cpdb.png

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
- it seems that Lockpicking has rolls after all. I don't understand it now: some locks are flat threshold and some are rolled? Or rolls do matter only when your skill is really close to threshold?
- also, added critical failure for lockpicking: now, aside from possibility to jam the lock you can injure yourself
- some critters have very interesting stats. Glowing ghoul clearly has more than 20 sequence and this is very rare occurrence in vanilla Fallout. What does it mean? Even with 10 PER - meaning 10 Sequence, he will still get two turns on you even after you start the combat. And glowing ghouls are just mid-low tier enemies.
- found scoped pistol. Thing works like a scoped rifle - extremely accurate (lol, can you imagine sniping people at great lengths with pistol?) and even has close range penalty. Ridiculous, but fun
- by now I can clearly divide the quests in two groups. One group is fetch quests, mostly mundane ones; other ones are actual quests and mostly fun ones
- the art is gorgeous, that's true

in Olympus, all ammo icons look different and overly detailed. For example, here are .223cal prewar, .223cal homemade, and .223cal AP. They all look different and can be easily mistaken for 308 or any other rifle round.
Absolutely true. Sometimes, ammo depicted as single rounds, sometimes as magazines; different angles and shots. No one does that. Stalker, Underrail, all of them have ammo of the same caliber look similarly

Wunderbar have you found the secret entrance in the toilet at Псы Заката raiders? I clicked everywhere, can't find it.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
:what:
Wait...wtf? did he just said he's going to change things to his liking?
Kinda dangerous statement, considering stuff people threw into recent mods - I'm looking right at you Frontier - that they thought 'twas the bees knees.
I'm sure it will be better than something thrown up by Google translator, at the very least.
Gotta admire the dedication to this project.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I don't like Olympus writing, it feels very amateurish; although offensive replies are kinda fun
Less so than Nevada 0.99a/b tbh. People in Olympus talk like people at least. People, not game developer at the player. Like with the rest of these megamods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom