Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
You can ignore that puzzle - I've done so in multiple playthroughs - and you'll be absolutely, totally, fine.

If you enjoy it, go ahead. If not, the time you spend solving that puzzle is probably 10x the time you actually get to use your new toy.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Am I stupid? How the fuck do you get back to the Black Sea once you bought a jetski?

e: Nevermind, just found the entrance. That's quite a ways away from Core City.

unknown.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nexus of Technology, more like Nexus of FUCKING ANNOYING SHIT
That's one of if not the best puzzles I've seen in RPGs in... no, ever. I beleive now there's online solvers to this but doin it blind when the Expedition came out was fun as hell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the puzzle. In fact I appreciate the idea. It's just that I sure as shit couldn't solve it.

Thankfully I don't need to either. What's really shit about the Nexus is the endless swarm of trash mobs outside.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Made a video of the Belt build. First time I uploaded it, I used an ISIS song, you know the one. Seemed culturally appropriate. But youtube accused me of glorifying a terrorist organization and removed the video. Thus, according to a multi-billion corporation, an Underrail video can serve as a vector of radicalization and as a recruitment tool for ISIS. eheheh

Saleel a Sawarim is good, but you could've also went with this.

Allah Akbar! Listening to this non-stop!

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
You can ignore that puzzle - I've done so in multiple playthroughs - and you'll be absolutely, totally, fine.

If you enjoy it, go ahead. If not, the time you spend solving that puzzle is probably 10x the time you actually get to use your new toy.
ever since ive learnt that its destroying walls silently i consider it mandatory

jackofshadows

Magister
It's just that I sure as shit couldn't solve it.
Why? I mean I'm biased since I have music education hence didn't have to spend additional time to grasp all the specific terrms in order to translate all of that. But yeah, if you are not enjoying the process then just ignore it. As for trash mobs - at least there's a choice which ones to whack (fetid march/spiders) in order to reach Nexus if the agility check isn't an option.
The whole Expedition has a rather bad encounter design, not just Nexus.
I like several opportunities to turn some mobs against the others: servants against spiders, natives against crabs, pirates against crabs...

Parabalus

Arcane

ever since ive learnt that its destroying walls silently i consider it mandatory

Saving you from the jackhammer weight is priceless. There's also a 5XP oddity there, and a lot of plasma grenades - skipping it really isn't an option unless really lazy.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Saving you from the jackhammer weight is priceless. There's also a 5XP oddity there, and a lot of plasma grenades - skipping it really isn't an option unless really lazy.
well, yeah. especially since all my characters are 3str. It also makes sneaking around dc so much easier. There is also one path with 4+ locust hives in marshes where destroying wall silently is invaluable

good even though you get it quite late

Parabalus

Arcane
It's just that I sure as shit couldn't solve it.
Why? I mean I'm biased since I have music education hence didn't have to spend additional time to grasp all the specific terrms in order to translate all of that. But yeah, if you are not enjoying the process then just ignore it. As for trash mobs - at least there's a choice which ones to whack (fetid march/spiders) in order to reach Nexus if the agility check isn't an option.
The whole Expedition has a rather bad encounter design, not just Nexus.
I like several opportunities to turn some mobs against the others: servants against spiders, natives against crabs, pirates against crabs...

It's fun the first time, a bit laborious afterwards.

The funny part is that the cipher depends on the difficulty, so if you look it up you'll see people having just numbers instead of verses etc. DOM has data corruption.

The trash is extremely annoying and makes you consider pumping up agility just to skip it. Basically most of Expedition is best skipped.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Why? I mean I'm biased since I have music education hence didn't have to spend additional time to grasp all the specific terrms in order to translate all of that. But yeah, if you are not enjoying the process then just ignore it.
I know a thing or two about music theory, although I'm self-taught and my knowledge in imperfect; this puzzle has little to do with the actual music theory apart from concept and terms, it's pure superimposition.

A true music theory puzzle would be something like this:

The code is four digits. The scale is A natural minor. Each note corresponds to the digit, with A as 1 and etc. You are given four-chord progression: v-VI-iv-i. The code is the third of each chord in progression consequently.

For harder difficulties, it would be, for example, Eb major scale, progression of iii-V-vii°-I and the code is seventh of each chord

Easy puzzle for anyone who knows a thing or two about music theory and WTF for everyone else.

Basshead

Educated
I’m one happy camper today. Because of Johnny law, several weeks ago I had to leave my home and pc to go into hiding many moons away. In the chaos I also left my first Underrail play through unfinished.
Before leaving I had been trying for quite some time to get the game running through wine on my MacBook with no success.
Today I finally got it up and running and damn am I excited. Now I can play a new to me crpg on my lap while the my knocked up other half watches her shows. Hooray for ignoring your loved ones!

Tigranes

Arcane

"Isn't an option"? It's a single player game that you're playing for fun. If you are completely hating the puzzle, then it's stupid to do it. Sure, the perks are nice, but they're very easy to live without, & solving the puzzle without guides, again, if you don't enjoy it, is a fucking nightmare.

Ferrying back every god damn knife and arrow back to town and wasting hours of your life to get a couple hundred more charons over a playthrough is also a tangible benefit, but skipping it sure as hell is an "option".

Parabalus

Arcane

"Isn't an option"? It's a single player game that you're playing for fun. If you are completely hating the puzzle, then it's stupid to do it . Sure, the perks are nice, but they're very easy to live without, & solving the puzzle without guides, again, if you don't enjoy it, is a fucking nightmare.

Ferrying back every god damn knife and arrow back to town and wasting hours of your life to get a couple hundred more charons over a playthrough is also a tangible benefit, but skipping it sure as hell is an "option".

Solving it the first time on your own is quite fun.

I'd say the opposite really - on subsequent playthroughs inputting it into a solver will save you a lot of time because of the goodies there, so you can skip the boring parts, like the laborious looting you mention. Why would anyone want to subject himself to such torture?

That's kinda what I was getting at, it's too a decent reward for the little time invested.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i have to acknowledge this agenda: if there was ever a game that did not need giant spiders (generic or specific, cuddly or fuddly) it was Timelapse: Vertigo

but i guess death and taxes and giant spiders and orcs are just inevitable, makes one think

on a random roll you might encounter a super hot babe, but meeting a fugly fucken spider is completely deterministic :argh:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i have to acknowledge this agenda: if there was ever a game that did not need giant spiders (generic or specific, cuddly or fuddly) it was Timelapse: Vertigo

but i guess death and taxes and giant spiders and orcs are just inevitable, makes one think

on a random roll you might encounter a super hot babe, but meeting a fugly fucken spider is completely deterministic :argh:

whats surprising and missing is that we are missing spider queen

I usually prefer rats to be trash level enemy, while spiders being way higher tier, possibly skipping medium sized ones and go straight shelob

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Okay what the fuck, I went inside the JSHQ and it trapped me in the bioscan room because of dangerous pathogens. Even stripping down and dumping all my items in the box doesn't let me out though.

e: It worked now, something must have been left in my inventory. Although what the fuck constitutes a hazard anway?

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, so after like 50 playthroughs, I might be ready for a non-pure Sniper

Could TC/Sniper work, my friends? Mass Enrage then shoot 'em down? Well enough for Dom cruising early/mid game? (Not super concerned about level 20+)

1/ Stat distrib: I can imagine 5/3/6/3/MAX/10/6 as a way to squeeze in PER & WILL, but is it worth it/viable? Obviously there's a major sacrifice to max PER, but could it still function?
2/ Feats: apart from essentials like Shooting Spree and LOC - could focus on classic Sniper builds, or lean into things like Cerebral Trauma + Neural Overload? Too much? Could just stay at Tranq instead.

Rough draft:
https://underrail.info/build/?FAUDBgMMCgZuAAAAAABuS1oAAGRkCgBGbhkANwAAAAE5Kz8xNWR-MyFLwoXCh9-_

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK, so after like 50 playthroughs, I might be ready for a non-pure Sniper

Could TC/Sniper work, my friends? Mass Enrage then shoot 'em down? Well enough for Dom cruising early/mid game? (Not super concerned about level 20+)

1/ Stat distrib: I can imagine 5/3/6/3/MAX/10/6 as a way to squeeze in PER & WILL, but is it worth it/viable? Obviously there's a major sacrifice to max PER, but could it still function?
2/ Feats: apart from essentials like Shooting Spree and LOC - could focus on classic Sniper builds, or lean into things like Cerebral Trauma + Neural Overload? Too much? Could just stay at Tranq instead.

Rough draft:
https://underrail.info/build/?FAUDBgMMCgZuAAAAAABuS1oAAGRkCgBGbhkANwAAAAE5Kz8xNWR-MyFLwoXCh9-_
My first build was a TC Sniper. My favorite before I made a Spear build. Use the Sniper to pick enemies off one by one at a long range, and than bust out the machine gun neural overloads for the melee enemies that manage to close the distance on you.

Your build looks good, but I would raise Psychokinesis to at least 30 so you can use the guaranteed stun from Electrokinesis. I personally leveled Psychokinesis to 45 because I like using Electrokinetic Imprint as well, but that's more optional. As for TM, ever since the nerfs I personally don't like taking it unless I have enough skill points to max it, because the debuff fucks me far more often than the buff helps me imho. Also you have meditation instead of premeditation which is a mistake imo. Interloper is nice if you can make room for it. Overall looks good though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Cant say Im liking where Expeditions is going. The Health Center is kinda annoying. Fucking Strongmen.
e: No idea how you're supposed to get through there without a healthy amount of stealth. And even then it was annoying dodging those stupid robots.

Last edited:

Werdnicus

Learned
Cy92Wkv.jpg

Is there no way to make the mutagen gas dissipate? I left one of the canisters in there with no way of getting it without becoming a mutie.

And no, I cannot reload to an earlier stage, don't ask why.

CHEMS

Scholar
Cy92Wkv.jpg

Is there no way to make the mutagen gas dissipate? I left one of the canisters in there with no way of getting it without becoming a mutie.

And no, I cannot reload to an earlier stage, don't ask why.

No way, Jose. Only two ways you can finish the quest now:

Either get a Biohazard Suit from Constantine or get the remaining canister from the Waterways Facility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom