Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Gregz

Arcane
Diablo II Median XL 1.F9 is the finest aRPG that will ever exist.

If you haven’t tried it, and you’re debating GD vs. TQ vs. PoE etc. ITT, then not only are you too ignorant to participate in such a debate, but you are missing out on the pinnacle of the genre.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Diablo 2 Reshitted is really giving us a lot of new contester for good old :prosper:->
Untitled-1.png

The industry and their obsession with Karen faces is absolutely disgusting.

And fuck every one of you who is still supporting Blizzard in fucking 2021.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Diablo II Median XL 1.F9
why this version over newest one?
I've tried to get into Median through the years but something always stopped me...
Try Path of Diablo, it is also awesome but more normal and like vanilla D2.

Single Player Issues
  • Charms work anywhere in the inventory (not just the 4x10 lower section)
  • Relics (endgame maps) aren't available
  • Uber Diablo isn't available
  • Arrows/Bolts aren't unlimited
  • Teleport skill doesn't function
  • Hemorrhage skill doesn't grant experience per kill
  • Whirlwind skill doesn't use classic attack speed formula
  • Enflame skill is non-functional
  • Frigerate skill is non-functional
I'll pass...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Diablo II Median XL 1.F9
why this version over newest one?
I've tried to get into Median through the years but something always stopped me...
Try Path of Diablo, it is also awesome but more normal and like vanilla D2.

Single Player Issues
  • Charms work anywhere in the inventory (not just the 4x10 lower section)
  • Relics (endgame maps) aren't available
  • Uber Diablo isn't available
  • Arrows/Bolts aren't unlimited
  • Teleport skill doesn't function
  • Hemorrhage skill doesn't grant experience per kill
  • Whirlwind skill doesn't use classic attack speed formula
  • Enflame skill is non-functional
  • Frigerate skill is non-functional
I'll pass...
I think those are old bugs

newtmonkey

Arcane
This is why I have the installers and my keys backed up. Good luck to Blizzard if they try to take them away from me.

Pretty sure they'll disallow Battle.net access, though, but that's all right by me personally, and people wanting to play with other people should still have Open Battle.net to run around killing and looting in.
Thank you for mentioning this. Just to be on the safe side, I backed up the installers and my keys.

vibehunter

Learned
GD was my first serious foray into Diablo-esque ARPGs. Maybe it's because I didn't play on the higher difficulty, or because my build was bad (I think I used Primal Strike Warder), but I got bored about halfway through. Also my loot rng was shit.

Is it just GD or are ARPGs just not for me? Wondering if I should give D2 a go since the lore and atmosphere looks interesting.
You should try D2, it is way superior to stuff like GD.

Any way to get the original without having to buy it from the Blizzard store?

Too many Diabloclones think adding 400 active skills and 900 passives is enough to make the game stand on its own while the rest of the game looks, sounds and feels as generic as can be.

The biggest issue outside of the core gameplay of Diabloclones today is that they look boring and dull. Even with all the graphical prowess of today they still somehow find a way to come off as cheap imitations than as the next level advancement. In fact the whole Diabloclone sub-genre is probably the most stagnant and uninspired of any game genre out there currently. It's like nobody that makes these games have gotten over the year 2001 coming to an end.

Not to mention only a fraction of the gigantic skill tree becomes the "meta", relegating everything else to either shit tier or for gimmicky meme builds.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The game has changed a lot with expansions, maybe you guys haven't played since release? If you liked Frozen Orb, you can play as Arcanist with Panetti's missiles, which are visually similar. For spin to win, the new Oathkeeper class from the second expansion has Eye of Reckoning. It's a great class in general, especially when paired with Soldier. There's a Blizzard skill, but it's tied to one of the devotions. It's just that you have to make a build around it and choose what items to tie it to carefully. They also added new movement skills in the second expansion. If you haven't played since release, it might be worth trying again. It's quite different.

I actually slogged through the game with the latest DLC.

It's too long as well, by the way, but that's a problem TQ had as well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually slogged through the game with the latest DLC.

It's too long as well, by the way, but that's a problem TQ had as well.
GD ends at the Loghorrean, i.e. it unlocks the next difficulty level, the expansion content is optional. In TQ, you *must* kill the end boss of the expansion in order to unlock the next difficulty, which indeed makes it too long.

Reinhardt

Arcane
GD have same problem as Torchlight 2 - maps are too damn big and too samey. You just run and run and can't see the end. I love huge maps. I even love fucking RUINS OF MYTH DRANNOR, but GD is different genre. And running through forest, swamp, forest, swamp, forest for hours is boring.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo I-II was very atmospheric and tasteful, no neon colors everywhere.

Unless you play median xl (Diablo 2):

screenshot05.jpg

screenshot61.jpg

Eye cancer!

Keep in mind 1.99-1.F9 is considered the golden era of the mod. Much more down to earth and actually improve on the base game.

Definitely one of the aspects of this era of Median which I adore is the way you "nurture" an item from the early stages. I never thought I would say this, but Laz has outdone the itemization of vanilla Diablo II.

And also,

- I loved what they did with enemies, diversifying them and adding special abilities (e.g. Quill Rats releasing quill spray on death, etc).
- The game is harder now from the start, more challenging and enjoyable.
- I loved that only vanilla models were used for summons and new enemies, maintaining the coherence in art direction.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo 1 is still the best imo, then D2,...

Few years back I played D2 with running off (HC run). The atmosphere felt 10x better and incredibly similar to D1. The game becomes much more fun at a reduced pace and I began noticing details in the story and environment. Such a small trick, but it does wonders.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... "everybody knows" that the key to isometric ARPG 'feel' is grid-based movement...

In my opinion the key is animation. Everything must be fluid and crisp. Zeal from Diablo II still feels amazing after 20 years. Devs are spending too much time making skills look good and too little time making them *feel* good.

Most of these games (Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.) can't nail that down. You need a talented animator, good software and a production standard.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
GGG use it as justification to keep adding more and more visual clutter...

GGG's whole design pillar is quantity over quality. You can see it with items, skills, nodes. The whole game is an exercise in bloat.

Adding a trillion items is a cheap tactic to replicate Diablo 2's formula. But there is so much more to it. Remember, Diablo was a huge influence in system design. Itemization, talent trees, the red and blue mana "blobs", etc.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
... "everybody knows" that the key to isometric ARPG 'feel' is grid-based movement...

In my opinion the key is animation. Everything must be fluid and crisp. Zeal from Diablo II still feels amazing after 20 years. Devs are spending too much time making skills look good and too little time making them *feel* good.

Most of these games (Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.) can't nail that down. You need a talented animator, good software and a production standard.
Animation is important, but how movement and targeting are improved by a grid is more important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom