Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Semiurge

Cipher
It's awful isn't it? The English Letho voice is another try hard diaster in 2 and 3.

With English VA the characters seem to be a weird mix of The American Badass and different varities of regional Brit from what I've watched. Doesn't work for me but then again I've been chronicallly exposed to Anglos for over a decade now.

Started with the Polish audio and subtitles in the 1st game and never looked back.

What the hell is Letho's accent, exactly? Punchy?

I could stand by this argument were I a deaf-mute. Polish voice actors don't have any range at all, they sound exactly the same in every game, tv series, film dub, etc. It does not help that I cannot regard them as random fantasy people saying random fantasy stuff, instead hearing Jędrula as Bloody Baron.

Still more range that Japanese anime actors. They have two, maybe three different characters - Old guy on ludes, young guy that shouts all the time, and a young squeaky voiced girl.

Sykar

Arcane
As a Pole, I couldn't possibly play The Witcher 3 in any language other then Polish.
Conversely, I couldn't stand Cyberpunk 2077 in Polish, I've found it very jarring. So I played CP2077 in English.

Funny, I cannot play Gothic in any other language than German. Conversely I played Fallout 1+2 and BG 1+2 in English despite being only around 17 years old at the time and my English grades were terrible. Through gaming or rather terrible German localization I became better at English. :lol:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, Monkey Island and Quest for Glory taught me English. You might think it's p. retarded to play text heavy adventure games if all you know is "hello", "goodby" and "I have of hungry" but with a dictionary in my had I persisted and look at me now.

Sykar

Arcane
Yeah I also read the Lord of the Rings first in German then 3 times in English with a dictionary next to me. After a couple of months I was at my third time which I managed in one sunday, a roughly 16 hour marathon I managed all 3 books. First time probably took 3-4 weeks. Afer that with the rise of DvDs I hunted for popular US movies like Matrix in their original language and tried to emulate the speech to reduce my horrible TSCHÖRMANN accent. Afterwards I started playing online finally on English servers instead of German ones in the early 2000s. That helped me to get a lot more fluent because you know it is hard to consult a dictionary in the middle of a CS game or WoW raid.

Hah found a picture of the LotR book cover I bought back in the latter half of the 90s:
lord-of-the-rings-1995-1.jpg

Good times!
I cannot find my mothers German version though.

Edit: Aha I found what my mothers collection looks like:
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Maximilian

It's awful isn't it? The English Letho voice is another try hard diaster in 2 and 3.

With English VA the characters seem to be a weird mix of The American Badass and different varities of regional Brit from what I've watched. Doesn't work for me but then again I've been chronicallly exposed to Anglos for over a decade now.

Started with the Polish audio and subtitles in the 1st game and never looked back.

What the hell is Letho's accent, exactly? Punchy?

I could stand by this argument were I a deaf-mute. Polish voice actors don't have any range at all, they sound exactly the same in every game, tv series, film dub, etc. It does not help that I cannot regard them as random fantasy people saying random fantasy stuff, instead hearing Jędrula as Bloody Baron.

Still more range that Japanese anime actors. They have two, maybe three different characters - Old guy on ludes, young guy that shouts all the time, and a young squeaky voiced girl.
Japanese anime voice actors have a whole professional industry, with fresh blood joining it every year, occassionally even very young people win auditions to star as main characters in very popular projects. Polish voice actors belong to two voice acting companies which have been in the biz for the past twenty years - the same cast throughout. Most of them also star in puppet shows or kid stuff, and have been starring in them ever since my family owned a TV set. It's not a meme that Poles recognize this or that character from a totally unrelated project as some guy starring in Gothic.

Gerrard

Arcane
Funny, I cannot play Gothic in any other language than German.
I heard from various sources that the German voice acting in Gothic was terrible though, was that a lie? Or is it "so bad it's good"?

Danikas

Arcane
Another fucking misspell in their work, dont they at least check this shit once before publishing but I guess it's tradition for them now. I remember tones of misspeled background texts in the witcher 3 that were never patched :lol:

e531cn9wqammk-hy1j1b.jpg

And this is a good one from cyberpunk.

:dealwithit:

8pd6iur4sa661.jpg

:outrage:

One from main quest in Witcher 3 dlc :lol:

lewve5k00ury.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Witcher 3 is a fun story wrapped around hideous gameplay just like Cyberpunk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom