Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic remake from Thea developers and Slitherine

mastroego

Arcane
Well, the "spiritual remake" Planar Conquest failed, and it did seem that the developers understood what made MoM special at the time of the kickstarter.
So I guess not even that is enough to get a remake right.

We'll see how this one goes but this time I won't early-buy, that's guaranteed.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Well, the "spiritual remake" Planar Conquest failed, and it did seem that the developers understood what made MoM special at the time of the kickstarter.
So I guess not even that is enough to get a remake right.

We'll see how this one goes but this time I won't early-buy, that's guaranteed.

All remakes of super old games are gonna fail because those games are 20+ years old. The gameplay is outdated and also from a time where gameplay decisions had to be made based on hardware limitations. No one wants gameplay from 1997. Remakes are a lose lose in some ways. Piss off the diehard fans or fail to grab new players who want modern designs.

Aemar

Arcane
ss_9487e4f4de2466829afc76fec446c758aec38f2a.jpg
ss_53cbca4db0bf4ddcc1c324bd563514217b96d689.jpg
ss_928014ef2f298cbe5ecaca3acafa2c49a1f5618b.1920x1080.jpg
ss_4d6cf37990b816c613e5bb40507ff42bec1b6e57.1920x1080.jpg
ss_9634f05a9d86cb66d04059463bb59d0f9990ddf4.jpg
ss_a092d29319dbca2e4f0264d6bda9a6a3fa695558.jpg

The game looks rather cheap, so I'm not expecting much.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Really? I can't think of a game with more "smudgy" graphics.
Menus, tactical combat and town screens look OK imo. Strategic map could definitely use some plastic surgery.
All remakes of super old games are gonna fail because those games are 20+ years old. The gameplay is outdated and also from a time where gameplay decisions had to be made based on hardware limitations. No one wants gameplay from 1997. Remakes are a lose lose in some ways. Piss off the diehard fans or fail to grab new players who want modern designs.
Yes, it's not like even with simian-like iq it's easy to check whether this game still has an active community and remains a baseline for many 4X games and realize that remakes of 20+ yo strategy titles can have 20-30k concurrent players on steam while modern, critically acclaimed and considered fairly successful ones often have like 500 lol.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I will buy "Thea 3, now with Wizards!", but why did they call it a remake of some random old game?

"Funny" thing is that it's called Master of Magic. So Master of Magic is now called Master of Magic Classic, while the remake takes over the old name.
Same thing happened with Master of Orion.
At least it's how they are named on GOG.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will buy "Thea 3, now with Wizards!", but why did they call it a remake of some random old game?

"Funny" thing is that it's called Master of Magic. So Master of Magic is now called Master of Magic Classic, while the remake takes over the old name.
Same thing happened with Master of Orion.
At least it's how they are named on GOG.

What the fuck. All that they risk with a move like this is making some old users angry. Master of Magic is no longer a brand, I would be surprised if 100.000 people on the internet still know about it. Tha advertising factor on this has to be so low, I think the Thea brand is more valuable than MoM.

Which begs the speculation, is this a miscalculation or intentional? Do they consider the brand more valuable than me, or are they conceding an advertising factor and make a labor of love for a reinterpretation of MoM? That or they just didn't want to risk making a new IP and just chose to usurp a random old one. Quite bizarre.

Mortmal

Arcane
Presentation is ok if lacking the old ,2d art charm . Thea 2 was good so this could be in much worse hands.
We are missing lot of info , will they add many spells? Improvements from caster of magic ? Ai?
Any balance changes ? Wraith were gamebreaking and a clear i win button . Heroes with a lifestealing sword too...
If nothing is added , nothing rebalanced , i have zero interest in a remake.And i'd like to play some 4x not done by paradox.

Thorgeim

Educated
its just all ... meh ... I had a similar feeling from Fantasy General 2, old 2d was "magical", had its charm. Same with MoM.
Since this obviously doesnt receive a high budget, it will be a poor 3D presentation and it just looks bland and boring and low quality, it might be mechanically OK but I sure as hell wont be looking at it for more than 2mins lol. But im old and grumpy about all these remakes and remasters. Reall dont get why devs think 3D is a must in a new game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fantasy General 2 is well received even on the 'Dex, though. It managed to get 3 expansions.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I dislike the trend of remakes being the name of the original game. Frequently, the old games have stood alone for quite some time and everyone with half a brain knows you're trying to live up to that sentiment. Have the decency to slap on a 2 or a subtitle. Its not like the original was known for its complex and deep story.
Further, that game reveal video doesn't really seem to show much that wasn't on the Steam page. Is that normal?

it looks fine to me, I honestly cant play the original its way too ugly to deal with and I can still play the gold box games and fallout 1 and 2 just fine. Master of Magic is just too fugly to deal w/ so now I will be able to at least play it.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just hope the AI is decent. That's the problem with making a game with lots of spells. It's extremely difficult to make AI that knows how to use all of them, especially in combination with other spells or the capabilities of its units.

Blake00

Learned
I just found this on the MuHa discord. Glad to hear they've seen my super wishlist threads around the various forums, that's a relief! :) They also give an official response on CoM and Seravy involvement too:

Yuuki
there are soo many questions so sorry if we don't answer much :D, but I have seen questions about com and Seravy etc. we have asked the master for some help with ai, for which khash was very grateful, and in the future we will likely reach out more, his opinion is of course very important to us, but it is too early in the dev process to get outside involvement. (oh and yes, we have read all of the wishlists before we started, i think there was a question about that too) But anyway, I'd like to also state here again that our current design goals are to recreate the original (we have played com a lot too, some some improvements will surely be inspired by it as well) we plan to have extended modding tools, and after that we will see what we can add in dlc's. Anyway, that's some questions answered, I hope :smile: hit me with an @ for any burning ones I missed :wink:

Oh and one of the MoM fans discord members made a video comparing the 2 intros which is interesting...

Very close! Can also see they're adhering to modern standards of always keep the 'camera' moving to increase engagement and suspense, as every shot has either a pan or a zoom going on.
I love it.. although I think the original attacking wizard was a bit more menacing looking but meh.. minor details lol.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Something positive at least: this thread has given me a bit of a hankering to play the original again. I hope I won't run into so many bugs this time...

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
upload_2021-5-14_14-27-11.png

faggoty pussy-bitch earrings + idiotic horns because why not, abysmal ears and thorny ass pauldrons to match, bare chest for an arrow to penetrate, kindergarten crafty level necklace, shit color palette, a smear of red demon cumm right on the forehead
all the ingredients for an epic remake that artistically is an homage of one of the best games ever made!

^lol at the title. remake indeed

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
upload_2021-5-14_14-42-33.png

does xer's horns just lights on fire when xer casts that shitty looking fireball?

facepalm.png
this is not even funny anymore...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom