Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Build me an Arcanum character because I'm a filthy casual and too stupid to do it myself.

Spukrian

Savant
There is a good argument for playing thief in Arcanum, but maybe not on your first playthrough though...

*Joining the Thieves Guild gives you a lot of special quests in all the major towns of the game that aren't available otherwise. Granted, 95% of them are "Go to place X and steal item Y without getting caught", but it's a good source of extra XP. And if you like the item you stole, you could just steal it back after giving it to the fence.
*If you have thieving skills high enough, you could just break into stores at night time and steal the items and money that you need.

Piotrovitz

Savant
The most fun I had with Arcanum was when I played a pure Tech character with Drog's mod. Finding and crafting new schematics, early game dumpster diving etc. all felt good. You don't steamroll the entire game like the magic / summoning or 20 str melee paths, but it definitely doesn't suck early game (unlike the release version).
Pure melee tech is as much fun as OPd magic harm-spamming builds. Once you get to Tarant and get the pyro-axe schematics it's game over - craft two dex boosting rings and you got nothing left to look up to. Two hours after start you get an endgame weapon that 1-2 shots almost everything.

Gunslinger tech OTOH is more fun, but it requires metagaming knowledge of stealing hand cannon in Tarant, because relying on crafting you will be stuck with fine revolver, which is just too weak even for early game. The only way out of this is having 1-2 melee followers with balanced swords and spam molotovs like it's no tomorrow.

razvedchiki

Erudite
does magnus learn schematics higher than the fourth lvl?

it turns out using drogs unoffiical patch and manually allocating the skill points of followers allows them to make stuff up to the 7th lvl.
now there is a reason to keep around crafting companions.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom