Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
In a cyberpunk or sci-fi game/RPG, I'd rather have a large, visually and conceptually believable city that unfortunately lacks such minutiae as NPCs with "daily schedules" and other unimportant shit, but that does contain enough quests as to not be a completely useless aspect of the game, as opposed to a tiny city/town with a couple of dozen NPCs that you very quickly run out of interest in even interacting with or exploring any further.

Night City is simultaneously amazing and frustratingly "empty". But it is impressive either way.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Night City might be considered by some to be the highpoint of the game and that is because level designers had to alter their work the least after late-in-development changes to the concept of the game. Damned shame people with talent and actual passion weren't allowed to do their job and the studio went for this soulless piece of shit cashgrab instead.

Gargaune

Magister
Night City is simultaneously amazing and frustratingly "empty".
I-Wanted-Orange-small2.png

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Last line should be "They lied on purpose". They knew what game they were making. They knowingly chose to market it fraudulently. It wasn't that they wanted to make a "Deus Ex" and failed. They never tried.

Gargaune

Magister
Last line should be "They lied on purpose". They knew what game they were making. They knowingly chose to market it fraudulently. It wasn't that they wanted to make a "Deus Ex" and failed. They never tried.
I was rather considering "Yes. They failed by design." but didn't wanna take too many liberties. Either way, I'm just messing with it, I've explained before that I do see Cyberpunked as more of a massive fuck-up than a deliberate scam.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
a deliberate scam
The project might have been mismanaged, but the marketing for it was deliberately misleading.

They straight up lied to people about what the game was, how it would play and what content it would feature. That video near the start with all the various activities V engages in was deliberately edited in such a way to give the impression those were activities the player would be able to access in-game, when in truth it was all just part of a cutscene.

I can't actually think of any other big game that did something as scummy as this. EA and Ubisoft certainly have never implied you could do something in one of their games, only for the player to discover it was all a cutscene.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The project might have been mismanaged, but the marketing for it was deliberately misleading.

They straight up lied to people about what the game was, how it would play and what content it would feature. That video near the start with all the various activities V engages in was deliberately edited in such a way to give the impression those were activities the player would be able to access in-game, when in truth it was all just part of a cutscene.

I can't actually think of any other big game that did something as scummy as this. EA and Ubisoft certainly have never implied you could do something in one of their games, only for the player to discover it was all a cutscene.
Worse. Marketing team blew up basic (they are, don't try to pretend those have depth, Danikas ) features out of proportions. They have trailers for everything, from gun mods and cars to a fixer that doesn't even appear ingame as a person and caricature gangs who are just baisc thugs with different skins.
Learning from the best, Ubisoft also made a trailer for companions in Far Cry 5, which have zero relevance.

Rafidur

Learned
Ubisoft also made a trailer for companions in Far Cry 5, which have zero relevance.

In terms of gameplay, the fat hick is memorable, because arming an incompetent moron with a rocket launcher sure has a lot of impact. But aside from him they felt completely interchangeable.

Zer0wing

Cipher
In terms of gameplay, the fat hick is memorable, because arming an incompetent moron with a rocket launcher sure has a lot of impact. But aside from him they felt completely interchangeable.
While it's true on its own terms, that's not something Ubisoft was going for, exposing the incompetence of writing AI for idiotic companions.

Gargaune

Magister

Eh... sort of? While earlier trailers certainly seemed to imply more gameplay than we got, the ones we saw in the final several months up to release looked largely accurate to the product, at least the way I recall 'em. Which, given the uncommonly long dev cycle, would be more consistent with the "tried and failed" theory than scam territory. Am I misremembering, any swinging bullshot trailers after, say, April 2020 or so?

TheMathmos

Literate

Eh... sort of? While earlier trailers certainly seemed to imply more gameplay than we got, the ones we saw in the final several months up to release looked largely accurate to the product, at least the way I recall 'em. Which, given the uncommonly long dev cycle, would be more consistent with the "tried and failed" theory than scam territory. Am I misremembering, any swinging bullshot trailers after, say, April 2020 or so?

Thinking back on it, it IS weird they chose to include in their trailers almost every cutscenes suggesting you can do stuff other than running, shooting, driving and picking dialogue options.

The trailers all featured cuts from that infamous post-lifepath Jackie montage, sort of implying a lot of interactions or even basic movements that are inexistent or static menus in the game. And the lifepath scenes were also shown again and again with V working on his car, riding a flying limo, etc.

Cutscenes in trailers is nothing new, but that one montage with Jackie near the beginning is pretty egregious and suggests a completely different game. To include it everywhere before launch is riding the line imo.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Limited HUD

Hides main HUD widgets by default and shows them only on certain events (which you can configure). Adds minimap toggle hotkey, also has optional files to tweak minimap widget zoom and position.

[...]

Minimap
Available options: Combat, Stealth, Vehicle, Weapon, Zoom
Modderman strikes again, does CDPR's job for them!

Cutscenes in trailers is nothing new, but that one montage with Jackie near the beginning is pretty egregious and suggests a completely different game. To include it everywhere before launch is riding the line imo.
Fair point. Especially with regard to the life paths and the structure of Act I, I'd be very curious to learn just how much the game changed after CDPR expanded Reeves' part in it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Which reminds me of a fucking bullshit thing I've seen recently: "Nobody sets out to make a bad game"
Of course they don't. They just don't know any better that what they are making is shit, because they have their heads stuck up each other's asshole.

Learned
Giving the game another go and... what a waste.

:negative:

I got the impression that some writers, because it can't be all of them as there's an obvious disconnect and lack of management, really pushed for an aesop of mortality and how "you should savor every moment of life because it's limited and precious" at every opportunity. All endings point at that. Even the lack of free play after the main story points at that. Of course people just expect fREe pLAy afTEr the MAin qUEst to geT the acHIevements.

Consider the contrast between ambitious V in the prologue and the terminally ill V.

Consider real Johnny and Alt, and their virtual counterparts. Johnny in V's head has the "accurate" personality traits and the attitude, but is he real at that point? And that's without getting to Alt.

Consider Ozob with the literal constant reminder of death at any moment on his face.

Consider living in a rancid fuckhole like Night City and using distractions to just momentarily forget about how much life sucks. Consider being so desperate for distractions that all the excess isn't enough and you come up with braindances.

I don't know, man. Whatever content they'll add to the game, it better be fucking good considering the mad money they made.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

The fatso with the rockit launcha is one of the best companions in a game, ever. He is hilarious. People here have no taste, unless the companion is a hot chick to make them imagine they have a girlfriend, because in real life, they will die virgins.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The fatso with the rockit launcha is one of the best companions in a game, ever. He is hilarious. People here have no taste, unless the companion is a hot chick to make them imagine they have a girlfriend, because in real life, they will die virgins.
Except Far Cry 5 is such a slog to play through the intended way (to fuck around), you'd better stop having fun before it becomes the antithesis to fun and finish it with optimally leveled leveled up machine gun, helicopter and a dog.
Giving the game another go and... what a waste.

:negative:

I got the impression that some writers, because it can't be all of them as there's an obvious disconnect and lack of management, really pushed for an aesop of mortality and how "you should savor every moment of life because it's limited and precious" at every opportunity. All endings point at that. Even the lack of free play after the main story points at that. Of course people just expect fREe pLAy afTEr the MAin qUEst to geT the acHIevements.

Consider the contrast between ambitious V in the prologue and the terminally ill V.

Consider real Johnny and Alt, and their virtual counterparts. Johnny in V's head has the "accurate" personality traits and the attitude, but is he real at that point? And that's without getting to Alt.

Consider Ozob with the literal constant reminder of death at any moment on his face.

Consider living in a rancid fuckhole like Night City and using distractions to just momentarily forget about how much life sucks. Consider being so desperate for distractions that all the excess isn't enough and you come up with braindances.

I don't know, man. Whatever content they'll add to the game, it better be fucking good considering the mad money they made.
B-b-but all life is precious, doood. Your shoehorned by awful script friends' life that is, not yours. Learn to humble your ass next time, dickhead! It's like those companion quests in Mass Effect series where your companions die in selected moments if you wrong them except you can't do a thing to prevent avocado assholes from dying like flies in most idiotic situations or even off screen by better planning.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher

When the high point of a gamer's life is a rollercoaster ride with a waifu.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Modderman strikes again, does CDPR's job for them!

Fair point. Especially with regard to the life paths and the structure of Act I, I'd be very curious to learn just how much the game changed after CDPR expanded Reeves' part in it.
If they mod in an option to hide undiscovered map markers I could try replaying it and finishing it this time.

Terenty

Liturgist
If they mod in an option to hide undiscovered map markers I could try replaying it and finishing it this time.
The game is not designed with organic exploration in mind, there's only like two quests that start with you talking to an NPC in the street, all the others are calls. No markers would virtually make no difference

Gargaune

Magister
Have I got a treat for you...

Declutter WorldMap

[...]

Allows to tweak visibility for each worldmap marker type separately
Alternate version which also hides buy a vehicle quest markers
Range based version which shows all markers nearby (with configurable range)

Same author. He's got a nice portfolio, I'll have to try some of 'em when I get back to Cyberpunked (GOG had Thief 2 on sale).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom