Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Bara

Arcane
Screw the new art for Van Richten and Harkon Lukas

This... this is both hillarious and sad

Why even buy the book as a DM or a player really

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Better yet to purchase the original Ravenloft: Realm of Terror boxed set with cover art by Clyde Caldwell and interior art by Stephen Fabian:

h78ktn.jpg
clkseq.jpg

Bara

Arcane
Okay if anyone was tempted to get the collectors edition of Auroboros kickstarter for that orginal metzen art thinking it be like his black and white warcraft or diablo art here's an example of what you're getting.

E0VSiQJVEAEN5my.jpg

Why the hat or ripped jeans in a fantasy setting I just don't know.

Also got the final pdfs of the 5e iron kingdoms books. Can't really coment about it mechanically as I don't really have enough 5e experience to judge them.

I do like how they don't have new sub-classes but new classses entierly.

Lore wise apparently demon apocalypse happend for a while felt kind of too warcraft for me but I do like what caused it.

Apparently two of the younger gods bargined with darker powers to give humanity access to magic at the cost of two thirds of the populace at a apointed time.

So Menoth was right about Morrow and Thamar. Would be fun to play with that in a setting to find out your blessesings had due dates because your gods sold you off.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like the new Generic's Guide to Genericness book at least has slightly better looking art than Tasha's Steaming Cauldron of Absolute Faggotry. Still can't find a couple competent artists.
I'm not even going to discuss the 'content'.
Nuke WotC. And Critical Role.

Mortmal

Arcane
Dming is bit like cooking in my opinion , being generous , putting many things and ton of work in your cake...Or you could just buy it all from the best bakery in town.
This van richten guide seems like a recipe book with some baking powder for one cool 5min microwave cake . I f you want more it's pretty much do it all by yourself , scale the darklord yourself and just some guidelines for your campaign.
For vet like us that's not great indeed, not going to learn anything into dming an horror game , and not cutting of any work.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
out of everything wrong here, I cannot unsee the cat in the hat.

why is it that there seems to be an endless stream of midwit libtards that do nothing with their lives other than ruin our hobbies?
Unless you're at least five levels of irony deep you should look up who Chris Metzen is.
I didn't even read the post. I just saw this shit drawing. I see the name now though. It's still shit, unless it's 5 levels of irony deep itself.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm not 100% sure what Metzen's stuff reminds me. I almost wanna say it's terribad Ian Miller pastiche, but there's something else going on there too (aside from it looking like the kind of crap a twelve year-old used to scribble on their school binder in middle school)

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm not 100% sure what Metzen's stuff reminds me. I almost wanna say it's terribad Ian Miller pastiche, but there's something else going on there too (aside from it looking like the kind of crap a twelve year-old used to scribble on their school binder in middle school)
Budget Wayne Reynolds.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Except by OGL, they din't did a single good thing.

I thought you liked 3.5?

And liked but 2E still better. And 3/3.5E is great because they was trying to be a bit "faithful" to the original D&D games. There is a lot of improvements over 2E(saves, skills, etc) and a lot of bad things too(hp past lv 10, lack of different xp tables per class, etc). I also hate percentage based stuff and 3E removed a lot of it.

When Woketards of the C*** decided to create his own "version" of D&D, not just to "streamline" the TSR version, we got the awful D&D 4e aka "generic wow clone : tabletop edition". D&D 5e? I honestly din't liked bounded accuracy, "tiers", hp value, most non evocation spells and excessive focus focus on the Sword Coast, ignoring all rich D&D settings. But 5E is not bad either. It is just not as good as 3E and 2E.

-----

A bit off topic, but how each D&D class use a bow?

Larianshill

Arbiter
I've been scratching my head for days now, trying to think of some puzzles. Not riddles, but something that could plausibly belong in a dungeon if you dress it up enough. Like Towers of Hanoi.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been scratching my head for days now, trying to think of some puzzles.
Refer to Dungeon Master, Legend of Grimrock, and all the real-time blobbers in between for potential puzzles. Also, certain turn-based blobbers, such as Grimoire, that also possess proper puzzles rather than riddles.

kA3m1cp.png

deuxhero

Arcane
I've been scratching my head for days now, trying to think of some puzzles. Not riddles, but something that could plausibly belong in a dungeon if you dress it up enough. Like Towers of Hanoi.

Rerouting around or fixing damage in ancient areas has always been my favorite excuse for puzzles. It addresses both why there's puzzles there and why the ancient structure is seemingly intact and unlooted after centuries. For the puzzles themselves, big thing to keep in mind when designing puzzles themselves is what abilities the PCs have, and what limits those abilities have.

Erebus

Arcane
Better yet to purchase the original Ravenloft: Realm of Terror boxed set with cover art by Clyde Caldwell and interior art by Stephen Fabian

Except for the art and the general atmosphere, Domains of Dread is superior. The domains and the darklords are much more detailed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom